Fireline vs Power Pro

Jonny

I've got Ugly Braid on my current go-to spool. So far, the problems with it have been few and far between...actually the only complaint I have is the black coating coming off almost instantly. I figured this would weaken the line considerably...it has not! I've been really running the crap outta this line to try and get it to fail...I haveb't been able to yet. I'm running 10 lb on my spinning reel. I can drag it across rocks and it will barely fray...and even after fraying I've purposely left it frayed and reeled in fish after fish with it and have yet to break the damned stuff!

If I were you guys I'd give it a shot...whats the worst that can happen? You dont like it and take it off after a day of fishing? :D

The two fibers, Spectra and Dyneema, won't hold dyes. Most companies use a powder ink type of colouring. Powerpro uses wax. Whatever the colouring agent, it will come off with use. This has no effect on the strength of the line.

The old Fireline, that was fused, got hairy looking as ends of fibers split off and became loose from the herd. Whatever loss of strength these loose ends represented, it was negligible, although it looked bad.

I believe that all of the "Pure Fishing" braided lines, Fireline, Spidercast, Stren Microfuse etc. are made by the same third party company. The reason I think this is because all of these labels came out with new lines made of Dyneema, with slightly different but very similar features, at the same time.

Try Spider Thread it's the latest in braid technology, way ahead of anything mentioned.

Garnet

What sort of dia. does it have, they don't really post that info on their website other than the dubious "Xlb. mono"?

As far as I'm concerned, fireline is pure crap!!! :angry: If you don't go fishing more that twice a year and have never used anything else it may seem like great stuff. :rolleyes:

... but compared to Power Pro or Spiderwire it sux hind teat big time!

Spool up a reel with the fireline and cast it all day, that black coating comes off quickly... and guess where it goes?... on you, on your rod, on the boat!!!... you look like you've been charred by a fire at the end of a day of using it, I'm sure that's where they got the name!!!

When the black coating comes off the line, it weakens very quickly!!!

Do yourself a favor and avoid the fireline... or you can learn the hard way, like I did. <_<

power pro has done it to me too

i use em both & like 'em both

I prefer Spiderwire Stealth braid to the Powerpro, and Powerpro is still better than the Fireline. Recently spooled up my spinning outfit with 8lb Fireline after hearing positive reviews. My first Carp of the season broke my line yesterday, was surprised as I really didn't think I had the drag set that tight. I also dislike the Red Powerpro, seems more plasticy than I remember the moss green being.

I haven't used PP, but I'm all about the Fireline on my spinning reels. I honestly think the posters who tried Fireline and thought it was "crap" either got a bad batch or were somehow doing something wrong. The stuff is amazing and has changed the way I fish. It is the closest thing to an unfair advantage that I have seen since the gaff.

I just pulled my Ugly Braid off my primary spool and threw on some High-Vis Line Counter Fireline 15lb. Gotta say...took it for a test drive yesterday for Walleye and it performed flawlessy. Tough as nails, easy to see in the water, doesn't fray...I like it alot so far...

I'll have to reserve my judgement.

I just spooled 2 of my rods with Power Pro last night.

50lb on a MH baitcaster (slop-fishing, jig & pig, etc.)

20lb on a medium spinning set-up (worm, jig, senko, etc.)

I used to use Fireline a number of years ago, but stayed away from "super-lines" ever since. There was a lot of things I liked about the Fireline (sensitivity, no stretch or memory) but I found I broke a few rods and wore out a few cheap reels and the fraying was a constant challenge.

Now that I have some better equipment, I thought I would give the Power Pro a try. With just a few casts from the dock, so far I'm impressed. Tomorrow will be the test.

I think I'll stick with mono on my other rods for now and see how it compares.

I just purchased PowerPro today at CT, figured why not. Its on sale for $14.99.. 50lb..

Removed the 30lb Berkley Big Game mono from my baitcaster.. Getting too many birdnests, and even made one cast with a brand new spinner for musky...

50ft out and in the air.. SNAP. Spool birdnested on me and snaped while in mid air.. go figure.. Only had the line on there a week or so!

Made some casts today with a 4" Rapala, 3/8 Oz Jig, and a 5" Shad Rap on Rice Lake. Awsome line, love it.. Gradually all 6 Spinning Reels will be moved over to PowerPro

from mono like I did today with my baitcaster. And any other reels in the future!

But I have found a west coast source for multi-strand braid...I'm talking 12 to 16 strand braid...And it is cheaper than Fireline or Powerpro, plus it is made of Spectra fiber. I like this new line better than either Powerpro or Fireline. The only disadvantage is I have to buy it in 600 yard spools.

12 and 16 strand carrier? but for what pound test and is that hollow core or solid? Most lines are 4-8 strand until you get into seriously high tests where you get up to 16 strand. I saw a few boutique lines last winter that were 12 and 16 strand but they were hollow and started at #50. It was around $80USD for 100yards and I was tempted to try it only because that's the lightest hollow i've seen.

Edited by j ace

I just purchased PowerPro today at CT, figured why not. Its on sale for $14.99.

Great price for PP.

I'm going to try mine out on bass this afternoon and if it works well again (which it should), I think I'll pick up another spool or two.