Sign in to follow this  
rob v

Downrigger mounting

I'm trying to figure out how to go about mounting a downrigger or two on my crestliner. The gunnel on my boat is 3 inches wide and the mounting base/plates on my big john downriggers is 4" square. I would like to mount them on the gunnel some how but I can't decide how. I was thinking of mounting the base plate to the gunnel with the extra 1" hanging over the inside edge of the gunnel with a 1" peice of aluminium angle under the extra edge and attached to the side of the gunnel.

Not really excited about mounting a board across the stern. I looked into the Bert's mounting system - but the base plate for that system is 3 1/2 " wide - which would leave an extra 1/4" over each side if I centred it on the gunnel. I may have to consider that option.

Anybody have any other ideas/suggestions ?

Thanks.

Edited by Rob V

Thanks for the suggestion Sonny - similar to the Bert's system - again the track is 3 1/2" wide and my gunnel is only 3" wide.

Thanks for the suggestion Sonny - similar to the Bert's system - again the track is 3 1/2" wide and my gunnel is only 3" wide.

Rob, how about this T-Bolt mounting bracket. It allows you to mount a track above the gunnel. You can then take the 'riggers off and mount rod holders or other stuff on the track.

http://www.traxstech.com/store/t_bolt_mounting.htm

Rob, how about this T-Bolt mounting bracket. It allows you to mount a track above the gunnel. You can then take the 'riggers off and mount rod holders or other stuff on the track.

http://www.traxstech.com/store/t_bolt_mounting.htm

I might be wrong, but that looks like it's for boats that have a factory track system already installed.

Lets see your boat.

I just did mine. I used the holes already there from the cleats. Bent a piece of stainless steel at work, used a file and sander to get rid of the sharp edges and give it a brushed finnish.

boat12.jpg

I couldn't and didn't want to put a board across because there is a seat mount in the way.

If you show a picture maybe we can come up with something

Rob, I have 2-6" tracks for my boat. They don't have to go on the gunnels as you see by my pics. I have also seen people put them just in front of where I mounted mine on the carpet. All you need is a 4"x6" area to work with when using Berts track system.

DR_1.jpg

DR_2.jpg

Rob

I run a Crestliner 1750 with I think the same gunnels. I have 6" wide Aluminum brackets (1/8" thick) very similar to Dara post. They bolt in to the gunnel and then tie into back deck.

I'll post a couple of pics later. I run cannon mag 10's with the old cannon swivel bases and the plates are very solid.

Walker Downriggers also offer a gimble mount style bracket (Quick Mount Base) for built in rod holders.

They also have a Narrow Base Angle Stand available. (2-1/2 X 6)

While I don't have them they are a nice option that allows for quick and easy removal of the downriggers when not needed and leaves a couple of rod holders behind. :)