Best occasional fishing rod

tmleafs26

Looking to buy a fishing rod or two for my old man. We'll be fishing for mostly pike and walleye and bass. I don't want to spend lots of money on a rod that he will only use once or twice a year.

What's a good average rod and reel to buy? Are the rod and reel combos that Crappy Tire have any good for $20 or $30 or should I buy the rod and reel seperate?

Also what's a good mutil-fish fishing line and lb test you guys recommend putting on this reel I'm about to buy?

Something that he can use for all types of fishing....crankbaits and live bait....he's not the type to switch rods for different types of fish....something easy for him, but also good quality.

Much appreciate the info

Peace

Dont touch those inexpensive combo's. They will break quite easily.

Your best to look at the combos that are in the $80-100 range, if you want to keep a small budget.

Look at Shimano combo's. Good quality rod/reels.

I'd go with a 6'6 Med or Med. Heavy outfit for those three species of fish.

That wil cover just about everything you will be throwing at them.

As for line...again with budget in mind, go with a basic mono line. Berkley Tri-lene in the 8-12 lb range.

On a budget, those items should cover you for the species you're looking to go after.

Hope this helps.

*Stoty

Dont touch those inexpensive combo's. They will break quite easily.

Your best to look at the combos that are in the $80-100 range, if you want to keep a small budget.

Look at Shimano combo's. Good quality rod/reels.

I'd go with a 6'6 Med or Med. Heavy outfit for those three species of fish.

That wil cover just about everything you will be throwing at them.

As for line...again with budget in mind, go with a basic mono line. Berkley Tri-lene in the 8-12 lb range.

On a budget, those items should cover you for the species you're looking to go after.

Hope this helps.

*Stoty

Thanks for the info.

What store would you say is better and cheaper? Bass Pro or LeBaron?

I have seen some combos for around 69 bucks at bass pro that i have grabbed and feel every bit as nice as my expensive stuff. They might not hold up for years with heavy use but for a couple times a year they would be great.

The Quantum Array™ Spinning Reel is on sale at Crappy tire for $35.99 from $59.99

and the Resource Spinning Rod, 7-ft is on sale at Crappy tire for $39.99 from $69.99

Opinions?

Rod Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...252C%2B7-ft.jsp

Reel Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...eel.jsp#reviews

For the use that its going to be put through...why not. As long as care is taken while transporting and storage, the combo should last a very long time for the price.

WAL-MART has an Abu-Garcia combo on for $45...7 foot rod, solid reel with 5-bearings...absolutely money well-spent. My son and wife both got Abu's in the past couple years and they're fantastic value...worth the look.

The shakespeare ugly stick combos at canadian tire go for about $70 and they are very solid and durable. They're pretty much unbreakable. As for line berkley trilene in 8-10lb range would likely suit you well.

Well, you're asking for opnions, so here's mine. :D

I would not shy away from a "cheap" rod-and-reel combo as long as the drag on the reel can be nicely adjusted and is smooth. When you set the drag to just about fishing pressure (where a good-sized fish would be stripping off line) it should feel nice and smooth and not feel jerky.

Unless you get a bum rod, you`re not likely to ever hook into anything that can break the rod, even if it`s cheap.

That said, there`s nothing wrong with spending a little extra for a mid-grade outfit.

10 to 12 Berkeley Trilene sounds great for pickerel, pike and bass.

Thanks for all the help and opinions guys, I'm going to go out shopping for one this weekend and will let you know what I go with.

May even pick one up for myself, as it never hurts to have an extra rod or 4 :D

Peace

ya i'd be picking up a shimano combo. probably a 6'6" medium fast action rod. they have enough backbone to hook into a big fish (i've caught a 15lb pike and a 15lb carp on my "cheap" shimano combo from crappy tire) and yet the tip is senstive enough to feel really light bites like speck fish or fincky walleye. i'd go with probably a 10lb mono line, just remember you get what you pay for when it comes to line, dont buy the cheapest stuff.

WAL-MART has an Abu-Garcia combo on for $45...7 foot rod, solid reel with 5-bearings...absolutely money well-spent. My son and wife both got Abu's in the past couple years and they're fantastic value...worth the look.

Agreed, I bought that combo (at least I believe it's the same one) last year. Been very impressed with it for 40 bucks.

Ditto on the abu garcia at walmart. I have bought several of them over the years and no complaints. Great for up at the cottage where I can loan them out to people and you don't have a heart attack when they step on it or drop it in the lake. As far as line I would go with 8 or 10 pound braid. If I need another all-purpose rod I would easily buy another, but I've already got a few!