Brookies were on Fire!

Zubris21

Kalvin and I headed out to Allen Lake yesterday for a couple of hours. First time out in a canoe this year, so if we caught anything or not I would be happy.

Here's the view from the launch (less than 1km from my house) what a place to live

IMG_0560.jpg

We've had great success on this lake during the hard water season but this was the first time out on this lake since ice off. We got into them right away, casting a small 1/8oz Gibbs croc. First two casts I had fish right to the side of the boat before loosing them trying to get myself re-arranged. Oh well it was all C&R today anyways.

We spent about 3 hours out and only came in because we were getting hungry. Lost count but probably landed 10-15 fish with many more strikes and follows. At one point we were even sight fishing for them in the clear water. What a day, here are some pics of the fish...

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

The biggest of the day. This baby took a few really nice runs, stripping 50ft of drag at a time, what a fight and what a fish. Measured in at 23.5"

IMG_0568.jpg

Token release shot...

IMG_0570.jpg

-Andre

My Lord! May I ask where Allen Lake is? Are you in B.C.?

Yes Dease Lake B.C. We are pretty northern and pretty remote. Allen lake is a small lake right in town that is stocked with brookies. From what I've heard the last stocking was 3 years ago, but I believe they have taken to naturally reproducing. Have seen several fish in there that are in the 5+ lbs range, but have also seen some that are only about 6" long. It gets hit pretty heavy in the winter, but really there are not a ton of anglers up here so the fishing is still great! Hopefully the next report will be filled with Rainbows from another nearby lake.