Catch and keep only in Canada??

muskymatt

What do you make of the possibility of a catch and keep only fishery in Canada. Parts of Europe already have this and according to some it's inevetable that it'll come to Canada. Anytime you fish you must keep and eat it, catch and release is not allowed.

Personally I think it will never happen but who knows. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

If we go to catch and release i guess we will not have to operate our stocking program....oh what ever will i do all winter instead of raising salmon...maybe force me to take a vacation to where you can eat your fish...

Personally ...i cant see it happening

I think then I would become a criminal!!

This ultra sensitive-- eco friendly-- touchy feelly-- uber-- holier than thou protection of the fish stock nonsense really needs a wake up call.

My ancestors who helped open this country up enjoyed eating fish and game as part of the ENTIRE outdoor experience---I will continue.

I hope this is the answer you were hoping for.

Bushart

Actually I meant catch and keep...

I think this would be devastating to the fish populations and to the fishing takle industry.

What about the folks who love to fish but don't eat it, they would be forced to stop fishing?

What about the consumption guide, if you catch a 40 lb muskie would you have to eat it?

The whole idea of this is so ridiculous , it would cost millions to enforce and would have to have special conditions galore.

It may work in Europe but IMO wouldn't work here

If they go to catch and keep, which i think is ridiculous, whats going to happen with all the bass, walleye and musky tourneys. Would all the fish caught there have to be kept as well??

How many people would want to drive for hours to get to premium rainbow or walleye spots up just to get there and catch their limits within minutes and then have to turn around and drive back home lol.

I think its crazy.

yes they are doing it in many parts of Europe where P3TA has a strong voice

I do think it's a bad idea, because I love fishing I would most likely be bring home a lot of fish and give them away rather then quit fishing

I had better get a recipe for muskie, I get they could slip out of my hand while unhooking them

but selective harvest is the best way

I think I'll be "SICK, SICK, SICK... MIGHT EVEN DIE !! If I had to keep all the carp and eat them too. I'll have carp oozing out of my body from every hole and I might even stink like one if I had to keep and eat everyone I catch in a day's outting.

Even if they allow catch and keep ... how would I even lug a 30lb+ carp home if I don't have car? On Public Transit, alive ?

DSN

This is in line with the legislation of common sense...

I have legally been able to keep these fish but have not

Have not kept one crappie in 25 years-----many thousands for others.

Have not kept a speckle trout/rainbow in 6 plus years

Have not intentionally kept a northern in 10 plus years

Probably kept 10 largemouth in 25 years

Now this list goes on and on but tell someone they cannot do something and see how you make out.

Bushart

Guest gbfisher

Now that you've changed your mind....lol.....

.....It Will Never Happen Here!.....100% guaranteed!!

You cannot compare the other side of the Pond to Canada.

Regretably, the outdoors enthusiast is a minority in this country. Never say never. We could not stop the gun registry. We could not stop the closure of the spring bear hunt. What makes anyone here think we have the political clout to prevent a catch and kill policy?

Edited by bigugli

I guess it wouldn't change a few here's fishing outings one bit.... :o

...not that there's anything wrong with that according to our regulations!! :D

(not sure I can eat that whole Musky in one sit down though..)

Edited by irishfield

Guest gbfisher

You can eat a 40 lb Musky. Who cares what others think?!?! :unsure:

yummy pieces of sweet, white, flakey meat............(insert Homer salivation here)........ :lol:

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

Five boneless fillets just like a Pike...

Somehow lunch seems so far away now.... :)

I just wouldn't fish for them with hooks.....lmao......' There was one!....OH! another!....'. :lol:

Edited by gbfisher

yes they are doing it in many parts of Europe where P3TA has a strong voice

I do think it's a bad idea, because I love fishing I would most likely be bring home a lot of fish and give them away rather then quit fishing

I had better get a recipe for muskie, I get they could slip out of my hand while unhooking them

but selective harvest is the best way

Yeah, it's p3ta inspired bullcrap! :angry: They claim it's inhumane to hook a fish more than once.

In some parts of europe they have laws for treating trees, plants, and vegetation humanely. :rolleyes:

bigugli Posted Today, 09:58 AM

Regretably, the outdoors enthusiast is a minority in this country. Never say never. We could not stop the gun registry. We could not stop the closure of the spring bear hunt. What makes anyone here think we have the political clout to prevent a catch and kill policy?

Maybe just the sporstmen have a small voice, but when you throw in the tacklemakers and boating industry.. we all can get pretty loud!

Loud enough to have fishing regulations changed so you can now cull fish in Canada...

Loud enough to have the Bass season opened early so tourney fishermen can prefish in Quebec!!!

Edited by GCD

This is a plan of P3TA's first they want to make C&R illegal buy saying it is animal cruelty, that it hurts the fish. Then once you have to kill what you catch, fishing is the same as hunting a kill sport ( I have nothing against hunting, understand the need for it and I see the enjoyment in I just don't do it.) because as fisherman we always had the choice to put back. Once fishing and hunting are lumped together they will try to making both a crime. Just like they did with the spring bear hunt. You may think I'm crazy but P3TA's members are getting elected onto the board of the Human Society and they are the ones who write the laws about what is considered animal cruelty. P3TA has bought the right to the character Nemo from disney they want the kids. If P3TA thinks fishing and hunting are wrong then they shouldn't do them, but don't tell me what I can and can't do. Find another activity that no matter what age, sex or physical disability you can enjoy, and it can cost you as little as a box of worms and a 10$ rod and reel from CT or what ever money you want. Take a kid fishing.

David Walsh

100_0187.jpg

100_0186.jpg

This is ridiculous. I don't think it'll ever fly over here, with perhaps the exception of specially stocked lakes where they want a report of catch totals/stats like with the Aurora Trout project.

Personally, I eat a lot of fish. I will usually have 1-2 fish in the freezer and keep that stock up throughout the season as best I can. Now this certainly does not mean I keep every fish, in fact far from it. I would say maybe 1 in 10 is kept, and they are never the big breeders. Would I want to keep all the fish I catch? no not at all, would I if such a law was passed? I wouldn't even hesitate to practice C&R. I wouldn't cut down on my fishing because some yuppie P3TA chick doesn't want a fish to get their lip pierced, even though they probably have it done themselves.