What tax is there on a private sale(boat)

Scott S

How much are going to be paying?

I'm no expert, but I would say pay cash for the boat and motor (no tax), you may only have to pay tax on the trailer when you transfer the ownership over at the licence bureau.

you have to pay taxes on boat and trailer .. when you buy the package get the guy or gal to write you 3 receipts .. one for the boat .. one for the motor .. and one for the trailer .. the motor being the most expensive of course since you dont have to pay taxes on it .. not sure where to register it in the Barrie area ... you could always call a marina in the area and ask them

you have to pay taxes on boat and trailer .. when you buy the package get the guy or gal to write you 3 receipts .. one for the boat .. one for the motor .. and one for the trailer .. the motor being the most expensive of course since you dont have to pay taxes on it .. not sure where to register it in the Barrie area ... you could always call a marina in the area and ask them

I think this only applies when the boat has numbers on it, so a motor larger than 10 hp.

My current boat has a 25 on it, I bought it off my brother, he made the receipts out for much less than what I actually paid for it, $500 for each, even though I paid $3000 for the whole package. That way, you don't have to pay as much tax.

Edited by big guy

I just done mine and there was no tax to be paid on the boat its a 20hp, I had to have two receipts one fo rthe value of the trailer the other she said she has no interest in seeing that it has nothing to do with them, when I registered my new numbers again she said dont care what you paid just need to see that you did

There is a CHANCE that you will receive a letter asking to prove where you paid taxes on the boat sometime in the future. So when you see that return address of King St West in Oshawa on the envelope from the mail box... you know what you've got in your hand !

My current boat has a 25 on it, I bought it off my brother, he made the receipts out for much less than what I actually paid for it, $500 for each, even though I paid $3000 for the whole package. That way, you don't have to pay as much tax.

you do realize that is illegal...kind of like cheating on your taxes. Although I'm sure most people do it, you might not want to broadcast it. When I bought my boat the guy selling it to me offered to do the same (undervalue the receipt). When I told him to write it out for the full amount he thought I was absolutely insane...all kinds of excuses about how much the government takes from us already etc etc.

you do realize that is illegal...kind of like cheating on your taxes. Although I'm sure most people do it, you might not want to broadcast it. When I bought my boat the guy selling it to me offered to do the same (undervalue the receipt). When I told him to write it out for the full amount he thought I was absolutely insane...all kinds of excuses about how much the government takes from us already etc etc.

Ya I suppose it's illegal, oh well. What they don't know won't hurt them, or me.

Impossible to trace after this amount of time.

Yes... all she is concerned about is the trailer, as that is all she has jurisdiction (for lack of a better word) over. The boat... just like airplanes... the feds only want to see $1 and other valuable consideration on the ownership change paperwork. Issue is, they are mandated to send the PST folks in Oshawa a list of all registration changes at the end of every month. Then it is hit and miss whether they decide to send the "letter" asking you to prove where you paid or remit 8% PST.

Edited by irishfield

Ya I suppose it's illegal, oh well. What they don't know won't hurt them, or me.

Impossible to trace after this amount of time.

I'm not concerned about things being traced, I guess I'm more concerned that we brag about how we cheat the system and think its alright because "nobody got hurt". If this is the way things work, they need to change the system. Have a "book" value for something, and charge taxes based on that amount rather than the bogus receipts everyone is submitting.

I'm not concerned about things being traced, I guess I'm more concerned that we brag about how we cheat the system and think its alright because "nobody got hurt". If this is the way things work, they need to change the system. Have a "book" value for something, and charge taxes based on that amount rather than the bogus receipts everyone is submitting.

I suppose we could just pay a few more dollars in taxes for them to pay to have that book made and kept up to date for every darn thing made and resold eh.

How bout they just take the taxes on it once when it gets sold new and not every time it changes hands. They could lay a bunch of people off and save likely more than they ever take in tax. these government guys think there is no end to the amount they can take from us for their pet projects. I'm getting tired of it.

Edited by Dara

suppose we could just pay a few more dollars in taxes for them to pay to have that book made

you or I wouldn't have to pay anything more, just the guy who can afford a boat. If a $3000 boat is "valued" at $2000, you would still get double the amount of tax than the $1000 bogus claim submitted. If the boater can't afford the extra $50 in tax he/she shouldn't be buying in the first place. The increase in revenue from people paying a legitimate amount of tax would more than pay for the book and keep lots of people employed. How costly could it actually be anyways? I know they have such a thing for cars already (pretty sure my taxes didn't go up when they made that book) and I've never heard anyone cry about the cost of keeping that book updated.

How bout they just take the taxes on it once when it gets sold new and not every time it changes hands

now you're talking!

you or I wouldn't have to pay anything more, just the guy who can afford a boat. If a $3000 boat is "valued" at $2000, you would still get double the amount of tax than the $1000 bogus claim submitted. If the boater can't afford the extra $50 in tax he/she shouldn't be buying in the first place. The increase in revenue from people paying a legitimate amount of tax would more than pay for the book and keep lots of people employed. How costly could it actually be anyways? I know they have such a thing for cars already (pretty sure my taxes didn't go up when they made that book) and I've never heard anyone cry about the cost of keeping that book updated.

Now why would I, or anyone for that matter, pay half as much again for a boat than what it's book value is? I'm not Balsillie, I would never pay more than what it is actually worth.

And as far as how costly setting up a book value program would, one only has to look at the gun registry to see how certain things can spiral out of control.

The bottom line is, the more we can keep government out of our pockets, the better off we'll be.

Edited by big guy

but is this really any different then openly talking about poaching or stealing

if guys started talking about going out last night and spearing pike with a pitch fork on this board

everyone would go crazy

a much better idea would be for the government to stop digging into our pockets every chance they get. i will do whatever i can to ensure that the crooks get as little money from me as possible and will encourage others to do the same. ;)

Yes... all she is concerned about is the trailer, as that is all she has jurisdiction (for lack of a better word) over. The boat... just like airplanes... the feds only want to see $1 and other valuable consideration on the ownership change paperwork. Issue is, they are mandated to send the PST folks in Oshawa a list of all registration changes at the end of every month. Then it is hit and miss whether they decide to send the "letter" asking you to prove where you paid or remit 8% PST.

Wayne just curious when I registered the trailer, my ownership just says trailer, how would they know I even have a boat with it?

if guys started talking about going out last night and spearing pike with a pitch fork on this board

everyone would go crazy

apples and oranges

so stealing from the government isn't the same as stealing from your grandmother

so is stealing from a bank the same as stealing form the government

and the guys that get 10 years in year for tax fraud , is it a misdemeanor, I think al capone got life for it

but if you read my post, my points was, I don't think it should be discussed openly on a message board, not how illegal people think it is

so stealing from the government isn't the same as stealing from your grandmother

so is stealing from a bank the same as stealing form the government

and the guys that get 10 years in year for tax fraud , is it a misdemeanor, I think al capone got life for it

but if you read my post, my points was, I don't think it should be discussed openly on a message board, not how illegal people think it is

But you talked about spearing pike, not about stealing from my grandmother.

Net letting the government know just exactly how much I paid for a boat and spearing pike are indeed apples and oranges.

I know what your point was and to be honest with you I am completely baffled as to why this discussion has gone on as long as it has. My original post on this was to let the guy know that there are ways to keep some money in his his pocket, just in case he had never thought of it and I used myself as an example.

Call it a public service message. :D

everyone would go crazy

I dont see the comparison myself

you don't think you are stealing by lying about how much you paid for something to ripoff the gov.

well how bout if you change price tags so you can pay less

people set in their minds what is right and wrong

people go to jail for lying to the tax man every day, who know what was in there minds

I could care less if you can justify it in your own mind, there are people who can justify murder in their own mind too

but the fact is you should not encourage people in a public forum to break the law, doesn't matter if it's to with hold taxes

poach fish or download copyrighted software....

if you want to tell people how to steal from the gov. it should be done by pms, not in a public forum