Trailer wheel bearings

Hi Folks,

Can anyone point me towards someone who stocks bearings and can re-pack a wheel for me in the GTA while charging reasonable rates?

The guy at CT on Saturday quoted me $130 for labor and other CTs I've been to haven't really seemed to exude confidence in knowing how to handle these.

If anyone can recommend someone who does this and charges reasonable rates near Toronto that would really help me.

Thanks,

MoB

no kidding...i do it for 80 too....i imagine u r not mechanically inclined but neither was i a few years ago but after being laughed at too many times about easy peasy tasks like this i started to do them myself....try it urself....if u run into any troubles just pm me....after ur done both sides and an hour hasnt even pasted u will laugh and feel great about yourself....u can google a diagram too....if u paid me 80 to do it it would be the easiest 80 bucks i ever earned

$80..ya bunch of thieves, one extra large regular Timmies. We did my friends trailer on Saturday afternoon, about 1/2 hour, old bearings and races out, new in with new seals, greased and installed. No special tools needed. Throw the new bearing races in the freezer before you start,(in a plastic baggy, pre-greased) shrinks them enough that they are much easier to start into the hub.

Throw the new bearing races in the freezer before you start,(in a plastic baggy, pre-greased) shrinks them enough that they are much easier to start into the hub.

I'll have to try that the next time, good tip. I did pick up a bearing race and seal driver at Princess Auto (even on sale this week) and found that to be worth every penny. No more slipping while using a punch to set the race. A couple of wacks and it's done. ;)

There are also a few videos on youtube that show you how to do it yourself. Heres the list of them Bearings

I'll have to try that the next time, good tip. I did pick up a bearing race and seal driver at Princess Auto (even on sale this week) and found that to be worth every penny. No more slipping while using a punch to set the race. A couple of wacks and it's done. ;)

There are also a few videos on youtube that show you how to do it yourself. Heres the list of them Bearings

I have always just used the old race as a driver to drive in the new one. B)

I just flip it over so the races have the same side touching each other and start tapping away with the hammer.

Just flip the hub over and tap out the old race after the new one is seated.

Clear as mud? :D

I'm in the same boat on the same trailer which is going to need the same procedure, I was not %100 confident in doing it myself until this post (thanks for asking the "stoopid question" I was afraid too Master of bait!). Thanks for the tips, links, and the heads up on the Princess Auto sale :thumbsup_anim:

I have always just used the old race as a driver to drive in the new one. B)

I just flip it over so the races have the same side touching each other and start tapping away with the hammer.

Just flip the hub over and tap out the old race after the new one is seated.

Clear as mud? :D

Yup, I went to the extra effort to grind off a couple thousants from the exterior of the old race, all my luck the darn thing would get stuck on top of the new one. Maybe a visit to P/Anext week for a driver. ;)

Whoa,

Thanks guys. And everyone had always told me it was really tricky, better not do it myself, etc.

Well, now that you've all exposed my lack of technical skill, my manhood tells me I need to figure this thing out. So I'll give it a whirl, and if I'm successfull, I'll come on and give you the good news. If I'm not, I will go to CT, pay $130, and never talk about this again on this forum - HA!

Thanks for the tips all.

MoB

It's not that hard, I haven't done it in over 20 years but I still remember how from Autoshop class in High School. Make sure you clean ALL, did I mention ALL of the old grease and crud from the bearings with Varsol. Take a glob of grease and put it in your left palm and stick the bearing in and work the grease into it, you should not be able to see any shiny metal at all when you are done. Tap them in, put it all back together again and you are good to go.