Live Bait no more!!??

lilkynan

I gotta wonder really if a total ban would be such a bad thing.

Face it, if there is a valid possibility that our fisheries can be harmed by diseases introduced by baitfish then maybe a ban (on baitfish) is the best way to go. Plastics now days are very close to the real thing and some would argue they are better. There is a lure or plastic out there to match every type of fishing possible. I'll admit I wouldn't have as much faith in a still line set up for ice fishing without live bait but other that that I don't think i would have a problem with a ban. Pretty easy for me to say though since I don't make my living selling bait.

Hookset

A live bait ban would be a mistake for a few reasons.

First, we are treating the symptom and not the disease. The issue is not the bait, but the transfer of ballast water from ocean vessels. If you want to protect the Great Lakes and all lakes of Ontario either force the ships to swap ballast in the Gulf of St Lawrence or close the seaway. Which seems more palatable?

Another reason to not ban live bait is because of whom it would affect most. Kids and beginners have best success with a worm or a minnow. Plastics and other artificial baits don't work very well in the winter when the cold water stiffens the plastics and the movement of the baits is limited to up and down jigging.

You have alot more experience than the average fisher, Raf. Likely more patience, too. Give a newbie plastic and live bait and the live bait will outperform each time. I would be surprised if plastics/spoons outperformed a well offered live bait set-up in equal situations.

Is the real reason for a ban the fact that they can't police bait shops to make sure they are using only resident minnows (so there is no spreading of disease)? Maybe there needs to be some sort of certification put into place? You should see an increase in the production/selection of leaches and a better selection of worms as well (butter worms etc.).

There are allot of restrictions and proceedures in place for bait dealers already. BAO Bait Association of Ontario. Look it up. I think they are concerned about us spreading the mess the ships are making in the great lakes by using live bait inland. The bait dealers are alot more policed then the licenced angler.

Sugestion? Don't be part of the problem. Clean your bilge and livewells between water bodies, and never dump your unused bait in the water. Please.... don't break the bait restriction rules set in place with the VHS ban. It makes us all look wreckless and ignorant!