Tree climbing equipment

motv8tr

I'm looking for climbing gaffs and stirups specificlly, I tried searching on google and canada411 but all I found were places in the states. I figured there'd be a place in the Lindsay/Peterborough area but couldn't find one online. Can anyone here help me?

Thanks

Maureen

I'm not sure Joe, they're actually for a friend of mine, since blowing out my knee a few years ago, my climbing days are over....I think he has a tree out back he wants to trim, and figured he might need them later on down the road...lol

Maureen

I would suggest that if your friend doesn't know how to use them, then don't use them. I am an arbourist and have seen many people think they can climb and end up with a gaff in their ankle and a trip to the hospital. You need a proper saddle and 2 lanyards minimum, but like I said, I would strongly advise against using them unless you know what your doing. All it takes is one kickout and you could do a lot of damage.

I have a set of short spiked ones that will work on the smaller barked trees but not on the big oaks that you are welcomed to if they'll help. Just let me know and send me a PM as to where to send them :)

Just let them know they're not good for thick barked tree's.

Edited by smokin joe

I would suggest that if your friend doesn't know how to use them, then don't use them. I am an arbourist and have seen many people think they can climb and end up with a gaff in their ankle and a trip to the hospital. You need a proper saddle and 2 lanyards minimum, but like I said, I would strongly advise against using them unless you know what your doing. All it takes is one kickout and you could do a lot of damage.

I gotta agree. The climb takes practice. Further, cutting while up there requires knowledge as well. I've been knocked right out of a tree when a limb swung back.

Call your local hydro and find out were their guys get their gear there is a place in Mississauga near where I work I will get the name on the way home and let you know they have it all

Those things can be deadly to an untrained climber especially with a saw in his hands. I wouldn't want to spur out with a running chainsaw in my hands.

Tell him to rent a ladder and make sure sure he has a harness.

I spurred out before the laws of Fall Arresting Devices and i fell 15 feet before one of my spurs kicked back in. My groin muscle was sore for a month. Good thing I had the belt around the pole and not free climbing.

Edited by wallyboss