"Trout Tickling" .. ?

profisher25

Do you guys even know what trout tickling is?

Like seriously guys.

A little like noodling only you get to keep your fingers longer..........and the fine is pretty steep, at least where I come from.

A little like noodling only you get to keep your fingers longer..........and the fine is pretty steep, at least where I come from.

Never have used the word tickling as a synonym to snagging myself... but if its common knowledge I guess I was NOT tickling the trout yesterday.

Enticing...fooling...baiting...slamming...lip rippin etc I WAS however.

Dont snag trout dudes

I just hope I catch something, its my first official trout fishing trip. I have caught tiny trout before in a small creek up north, but no quite the species I was after. Just looking for any suggestions as to what bait to use, Ive noticed however, that roe is probably the best bait you can use, Ive been reading many articles on trout fishing for the past few weeks, so I think I'm ready, at least I hope.

Thank you all for the bait suggestions, I greatly appreciate it, and I shall write up a report as soon as I come back, that is also, if I am successful.

Ive done it in a very small trib with a large steelie that I bet some one I could do it before we electofished it. I was successful measured and weighed fish and released unharmed.I didnt throw the trout on the bank though just grabbed the caudal wrist and other hand under the belly.

I just hope I catch something, its my first official trout fishing trip. I have caught tiny trout before in a small creek up north, but no quite the species I was after. Just looking for any suggestions as to what bait to use, Ive noticed however, that roe is probably the best bait you can use, Ive been reading many articles on trout fishing for the past few weeks, so I think I'm ready, at least I hope.

Thank you all for the bait suggestions, I greatly appreciate it, and I shall write up a report as soon as I come back, that is also, if I am successful.

Sorry, I can't help you on the tackle issue. Good luck dude, can't wait to see the report.

As a child I tried this twice and succeeded in a way.

One time was for splake at the base of the falls in Napanee, where a spring came in and they would hold for a bit in the summer. I was close, but alas I missed. And yes, they used to stock splake in the eastern basin of Lk. Ontario.

The other time was at nearby Rankins quarry, where they used to stock brook trout. Here the fish were getting too little oxygen in the summer and were holding close to the surface. One was alone and in a tiny bay, and a cousin of mine and myself put some rocks in to block it in. We took turns, and I ended up getting it, but cannot recall if I shared my little morsel with my cousin.

Tickling was something that I had read about, whereby a person would tickle the underside of a fish as I recall, and it would become more or less docile and one could then magically catch it with their hands. I would suggest that I would have likley read this in Field and Stream, as it was semi accessible at the time.

Thanks for bringing up a fun time from what now seems like many years ago. I have no idea about how this was viewed in a legal sence at the time, but it sure was fun for a couple of kids.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Ok, so im not going to bother making a report.. unfortunately, the water conditions were quite dangerous, .. too many rapids :( I attempted many casts along the river, and at one point almost lost my rod due to the fast running water.. other than that, I had a fun time, no fish, but heck, it was much better than being in school, or work for that matter. :P I shall however, return as soon as the water calms down, and try my luck once again.

2 words

MARSH... MALLOW!!!

What's the differance between a trout & salmon?

A chinook gets lined by marshmallows..........a trout EATS them.

badda..bing.......

Okay want an interesting bait that you'll never see on the rivers? Take a diving crankbait, something with a wide wobble (i.e. anything other than a Rapala) and take out the rear hook and replace with a foot of flouro and a hook & pink worm. Work that combo with whatever line you like under bits of brush and logjams full of steel.

Either way it's fun times walking back to the car with a flippin' stik in your hand past the pin guys.