ALL CATCH HAS TO DEAD BEFORE YOU BRING HOME, IS THAT TRUE?

CRAPPIE

I just heard that you can not keep live catch to bring home, every fish you caught has to be dead. Is that true?

I don't each that much fish anyway but I know some fisherman bring their catch limit but they cannot eat them all in one day so they put it in the tank in live and eat them later days, is it illegal?

Thanks in advance for your input!

The only place you can legally transport live fish is on the water. Once the boat is pulled out.. you cannot transport live fish without special permits. They turn a blind eye to the bass tourney guys trips past the weigh station with boat on trailer.... :o

Never heard of that.

Anglers bring home a pail of perch or crappie and they are still alive.

Myself ,when perch fishing(except in the winter)I,ll keep my fish in a cooler of water til the end of my fishing time.I do this,just incase I only get a few and want to release them.Not enough for a feed.

Fish in a pail or cooler with no water won't usually ever get you in trouble even if there still flipping around (never say never though). What will is fish in a livewell/cooler with water being transported across land.

Basically a no-no to prevent anyone from introducing fish into new water.

Edited by Fang

I just heard that you can not keep live catch to bring home, every fish you caught has to be dead. Is that true?

I don't each that much fish anyway but I know some fisherman bring their catch limit but they cannot eat them all in one day so they put it in the tank in live and eat them later days, is it illegal?

Yes it is illegal.

From Fishing Ontario 2008-2009 - Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. pg. 9

GENERAL PROHIBITIONS - IT IS ILLEGAL TO

*It is illegal to transport live fish, other than baitfish, taken from Ontario waters or to transfer or stock any fish into Ontario's waters without a special licence to transport or stock fish.

Yes it is illegal.

From Fishing Ontario 2008-2009 - Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. pg. 9

GENERAL PROHIBITIONS - IT IS ILLEGAL TO

*It is illegal to transport live fish, other than baitfish, taken from Ontario waters or to transfer or stock any fish into Ontario's waters without a special licence to transport or stock fish.

So what it says then,is I have to bleed out every perch or crappie I have ,before heading home?

BTW,the water is dumped out before I head home,but Im not far from the water,so they are still alive.

The catfish I took home from the grand was as fresh as ever after an hour long trip in a shopping bag in the back of the truck. I had a funny thought of slipping down to the creek beside the house and seeing if it would swim away

But then I ate it!!

I did.He did also say,(never say never though) :mellow:

When out ice fishing I always brought home some perch and pike. I never had a problem with a local MNR check. I never had a problem with them till they hit the sink and started swimmin again, so now I'm beginning to wonder too. :blink:

The only place you can legally transport live fish is on the water. Once the boat is pulled out.. you cannot transport live fish without special permits. They turn a blind eye to the bass tourney guys trips past the weigh station with boat on trailer.... :o

That also the Orillia perch fest is breaking the law cause your fish has to be alive to register it.

I would think for the most part ...that if you transport your fish home for consumption so be it COs arent going to give you stress about it ....but if you are transporting to say....stock your own personal pond or get a certain species closer to where you like to fish ...and get caught doing so ...then ....it will be just another fine added to the many fines of the other laws you were breaking ....when it comes to salmon or trout...you want to bleed them out asap if they are dead ...most people try to keep them alive as long as possible so they can keep fishing .....Dead fish soaking in water .....turns the flesh mushy....unless it is in a brine..

So what it says then,is I have to bleed out every perch or crappie I have ,before heading home?

BTW,the water is dumped out before I head home,but Im not far from the water,so they are still alive.

Misfish: Did you ever think that statements like this only give the anti's more ammunition to attack our sport. That's not what we need.

Rick

I read the regulation and it mentions that Live Holding Box and you must put your name and address in it, what is that mean? I think it should allow angler to keep live catch but you must maintain within the limit and make sure you put your name and address outside the Live Holding Box. Correct me if I am wrong.

I read the regulation and it mentions that Live Holding Box and you must put your name and address in it, what is that mean? I think it should allow angler to keep live catch but you must maintain within the limit and make sure you put your name and address outside the Live Holding Box. Correct me if I am wrong.

These don't exempt you from the transportation regulations. Basically it means a holding box or impounding device in the body of water you caught the fish. Some people have these under their docks. Can also mean a livewell that forms part of or is attached to a boat.

....interesting stuff and a sore point with me. Albeit the law seems a little ridiculous, but the gentleman across the lake from my father in law's hunt camp on a little lake that USED to be a good naturally reproducing speck lake has since been ruined because he saw it fit to "self stock" it full of smallies so his grandson could catch fish from their dock. Admittedly this took years but now we don't see the specks and the bass are plenty! Don't get me wrong....I like the idea of my now 3y/o boy catching fish so easily and close to camp...but being on a remote speck lake with only three camps on it was very nice! A shame if you ask me! The law in question is a good law!

Simple , if the fish are transported without water than you have no "INTENT" to keep them alive for release as you have removed their source of survival the water whether they are all dead in the bucket or cooler or not. Transporting in the water shows a direct "INTENT" to keep the fish alive which could be for release elsewhere. No water difficult for a CO to argue that you were intentially keeping the fish alive for release into another body of water.

Edited by express168

:dunno:

I wonder sometimes, why some people cant take a rule/law at face value,but, will search for any way to circumvent the law, to suit their " needs ' :whistling:

This is not intended to flame anyone, but I find this kind of subject turns up quite often.

OK........fire away !!!

:dunno:

I wonder sometimes, why some people cant take a rule/law at face value,but, will search for any way to circumvent the law, to suit their " needs ' :whistling:

This is not intended to flame anyone, but I find this kind of subject turns up quite often.

OK........fire away !!!

I'll be the last to fire at you Jack, you're absatootly right. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother printing the regulations as it seems that not too many are reading them.