Anchoring down a clam portable hut??

dmagz

Hi everyone,

I have been using my clam ice hut and have been finding it real hard to fish it in high wind situations. If i cant use it in high wind situations whats the point?

I was just curious to hear what methods people use to keep this beast from flying across the lake?

Thanks in advnace,

Dave,

Hey D your local store who sells portable ice huts should have accessories for your hut.I have seen them before.I just use 4 hooks from the local hardware store the ones with hooks that you screw into the wall into wood hooks are about 6 to seven inches long you just screw them into the ice and tie the Clam to the hooks.It takes a little practice to screw in the hooks but I got the hang of it .I am sure the systems you buy are better.These hooks cost me 79 cents each.Mike

117798.JPG

Go to crappy tire or Home hardware and buy a couple of 8" eye hooks . Attach two 4' pieces of nylon rope to the corners of your hut and tie on the hooks. Then using any portable drill , sink two 1/4 " or so holes at 15% angles behind hut and screw in hooks. Never had one give yet. Hope this helps.

go to the nearest hardware store and buy 4 of the biggest nails you can buy...the kind with the spirals i got them and take a hammer and you are all set...dont laugh they really work...just hammer them right in on an angle..been using them for years the nails are about 1 dollar each...i use them on my portable :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: cheers

Auger a hole about 10 feet upwind of your hut ... drill a hole in the middle of a 10 to 18" length of 2x4 - tie this to a piece of 1/4" nylon rope and connect this to the top of your hut and bobs-your uncle.... anchored for good ... or for a few bucks you can get 'anchors' at Lebaron, Cabelas etc.

If you're really ambitious you can do this on all four corners ... then wind changes are no problem

You can half drill a hole with your auger, leaving your auger stuck in the ice. Tie a rope to this. the only problem is that it may shift off of the hole(s), but at least it won't blow across the lake.

I had to do this AND leave a 4-wheeler in front of my clam 2000 on Saturday. Boy was it windy! Report to follow shortly.

You can half drill a hole with your auger, leaving your auger stuck in the ice. Tie a rope to this. the only problem is that it may shift off of the hole(s), but at least it won't blow across the lake.

I had to do this AND leave a 4-wheeler in front of my clam 2000 on Saturday. Boy was it windy! Report to follow shortly.

Not to dispute the anchoring part,but if you do what you have suggested,you will ruin the blades. The ice will contract and your blades will be history.Been there done that.

One thing you will find if your going to use the hardware store brand screw pegs, is the thread is to fine. This is why they make a certian screw for this application.

Just a bit of advice,hit CT,they have the proper ice screw in pegs you will need and thier not expensive at all.