Article and a pretty cool video from the star on the Credit river

aniceguy

Interesting article.

I find it amazing that the people from Trout Unlimited and Izaak Walton could be so shortsighted.

How would adult steelhead ever be a threat? They'd only be in the headwaters a short time while spawning before retreating back to the lake.

If anything when the eggs hatch the fry would be a huge new food source for the browns..

Even they wouldn't be in the river long before smolting out and heading for the lake.

There's hundreds of examples in the great lakes where steelhead co-habitate successfully with stream bread trout..

The Ganny is an excellent example. Once above the dam in Port Hope the steelhead have access to miles and miles of prime spawning water that's home to a booming population of native stream bred browns.

There's never been any problem there...

Louis you've got to make them see the light!

Guest steel'n'esox
What about the Atlantics!? ;)

The ever increasing population of Lampreys will take fine care of the Atlantics, as they are doing with the Steelhead, I can only assume the Feds have eliminated the stream Lampricide treatments, in the spawning streams. About one in four fish have bullet holes, maybe when Atlantics show up with bullet holes they will do something again, if they can catch the Atlantics?

Mike

The major concern is not the adults but thier offspring.

The time young steelhead are in the headwaters will put them in direct competition with the browns and brookies, not to mention the atlantics.

The headwaters being small and limited can only carry a finite amount of fish. When you exceed that capacity the weake species always loses.

The young steelhead will most likely displace the brook and brown trout from prime lies.

It is a delicate balancing act that needs to be weighed carefully.

My .02 ;)

there really isnt a brook trout population to speak of below inglewood so thats not a real concern, browns and rainbows utilize a somewhat different habitat.

Mike a case of beer 1 night and I ll really give you an eye opener on how some user groups can be

Mike

The major concern is not the adults but thier offspring.

The time young steelhead are in the headwaters will put them in direct competition with the browns and brookies, not to mention the atlantics.

The headwaters being small and limited can only carry a finite amount of fish. When you exceed that capacity the weake species always loses.

The young steelhead will most likely displace the brook and brown trout from prime lies.

It is a delicate balancing act that needs to be weighed carefully.

My .02 ;)

Really? I disagree.

First off as mentioned steelhead and stream bred trout get along just fine elsewhere....what makes the Credit special?

Second how are smolts going to compete with trout for food?. By the time they're ready to migrate downstream to the lake they're still only inches long and subsist mostly on zooplankton.

Also as mentioned they provide an unexpected source of food for the stream trout.

Hey that sounds like fun. Kind of Cronzy-like. :D

As long as it's not a "fireside chat" I'm in. :)

Choronzey Mike... CHO-RON-ZEY. Let's git it straight!!

Louis, I lost a beautie fish on Saturday... Bright, long and leen.. You guys are doing something right!!

See yas at the tourney.

Choronzey Mike... CHO-RON-ZEY. Let's git it straight!!

Louis, I lost a beautie fish on Saturday... Bright, long and leen.. You guys are doing something right!!

See yas at the tourney.

Yeah yeah I know :blahblah1:.

But when even Choronzey calls himself Cronzy I think that's what I'll call him. :)

I don't think it is too hard to see both sides.

On one side you have a group of people who have worked hard for a number of years to improve the river and are concerned that all that hard work may be for not. The other side wants to increase the number of fish using the improved river system and improve the number of fish they can catch downstream. Sometimes it is difficult for those who are in the midst of a situation to see the big picture. Or they are concerned that someone else with a politician's ear will mess things up.

Hopefully science rules the day and not politics, but I doubt it.

Facts:

Diversity makes an ecosystem stronger.

There is a finite amount of pounds of fish that an body of water can produce.

Even they wouldn't be in the river long before smolting out and heading for the lake.

Actually, from what I understand, steelhead fry, parr, smolt will remain in the stream for two to three years, and reach lengths from 6 to 10 inches or largers in some cases. Given that those classes would exist year round in various stages, thats definitely in direct competition with an already large population of resident fish. Especially considering the decline in aquatic insect activity noted in the credit in recent years.

I'm not opposed nor am I for migratory fish having access to the upper reaches of the credit......and I'm sure the CRAA and MNR as well as other interest groups such as the IWFFC and TU are directly involved with the research and input being given for this interesting project. Hopefully they find a medium that helps to represent the combined values and beliefs of eachothers, and our resources.

I don't think it is too hard to see both sides.

On one side you have a group of people who have worked hard for a number of years to improve the river and are concerned that all that hard work may be for not. The other side wants to increase the number of fish using the improved river system and improve the number of fish they can catch downstream.

The only problem with that equation is the ones who want the steelies up have spent over 3 million from the top down infinately more then all the other groups combined

This is a touchy subject and has been for years, letting steelies up to the upper reaches of the credit has been an ongoing issue for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Glen Williams and spent many, many hours fishing the river growing up. I know first hand that the rainbows stay in the river for a while after stocking as we used to catch them up to about 11/2-2 lbs. At one time I was all for letting them go all the way through to the forks but now I'm not so sure because I'd hate to see any remaining specks pushed out. Glad it's not my decision to have to make.

Interesting article.

I find it amazing that the people from Trout Unlimited and Izaak Walton could be so shortsighted.

How would adult steelhead ever be a threat? They'd only be in the headwaters a short time while spawning before retreating back to the lake.

If anything when the eggs hatch the fry would be a huge new food source for the browns..

There's hundreds of examples in the great lakes where steelhead co-habitate successfully with stream bread trout..

The Ganny is an excellent example. Once above the dam in Port Hope the steelhead have access to miles and miles of prime spawning water that's home to a booming population of native stream bred browns.

There's never been any problem there...

Louis you've got to make them see the light!

I agree 100%. It's not only fact in the Ganny, but in most east lake O tribs that can support trout populations.

Thanks for posting the article!

p.-

The only problem with that equation is the ones who want the steelies up have spent over 3 million from the top down infinately more then all the other groups combined

I hope you are not being a "bully" because your group happens to be "lucky' enough to get funding under the percieved pretense that you do stream rehab...etc for the good of all fish species and are now admitting that you have a "special interest" only in steelhead...? I find your CRAA group a bit deceptive in that their "mandate" differs from their actual workings...can you post CRAA's mandate for all to see?

I thought Id put my two cents worth in. Brown trout -Rainbow trout who cares they are both invasive species. The might have recreational and ecomomic value and thats fine. But and I mean a big but ANYWHERE where there are native brook trout they need to be protected from both species. To bad if you like to fish steelhead they are not native and I feel the same with brown trout. Now if there is a niche in the biosystem that is not being filled no problem and more power for introducung new fisheries but you dont do it at the expence of native species. Lots of people love fishing for carp should we start alowing them access to great bass/walleye water. Yes Carp=Steelhead.