NF- Massive viral outbreak in Ontario

bigfish1965

Having just got over whatever this virus is, I found on the Health Canada website that a massive Salmonella outbreak is threatening North America.

There was a Norwalk or Rotavirus outbreak occuring at the same time, but those results are being checked to see if they were also salmonella.

Not a real threat to adults, but can be deadly to infants and seniors. Wash your hands!!

I've got about 5% of staff out with it now and several friends.

Rick,

The Salmonella O/B is massive is the sense that it is widespread; if we are talking about the same thing, it looks like it might be due to some sort of contaminated melons or possibly other fruit.

You are right that the very young, old and immunocompromised can get very sick.

I read this earlier today and felt fine. Went to see a movie with my daughter and my throat started hurting. Now it's on fire, have a headache and some congestion....

Was it one of those Disney flicks? They do the same thing to me.

Jim

Both are prevalent right now douG. There were 30 confirmed cases of the salmonella carrou bacteria in canada and untold numbers of Norwalk/Rotavirus cases. But the symptoms are the same...and 90% of people don't need medical intervention.

The only fruit I ate last week was a pineapple/strawberry salad from the grocery store/ I have no idea what I had...more likely the virus over the bacteria.

We have placed extra sanitizer stations at work because so much of our staff are coming down ill.

Makes me feel a little better aboot being an obsessive compulsive hand washer eh!!! :thumbsup_anim:

... During flu and virus season, keeps hands away from eyes, nose, and mouth... unless they've just been washed!!!

... carry a "U-Fillem" spray bottle of moonshine with you whereever you go!!!

... what isn't used up from killing germs is absorbed thru the skin and is quite a pleasant buzz!!! (apply to hands instead of painted surfaces... and make sure you have a designated driver!!!)

My wife has got us all using those sanitizer soaps all the time for the last few years. She keeps a dispenser in the car and when we come out of a store we all get a dab to wash our hands. Cheap insurance, however we all ended up with a mild cold a few weeks ago. Cliff the cold started with a scratchy throat, but it only lasts a few days. The cough lasts about a week tho'. Other than that we haven't been sick in over three years. Washing your hands is your biggest defense....

Both myself and my 5 year old daughter have been hugging the toilet since Friday night.

My little one threw up 15 times between Fri evening and Sat morning...

Not a fun weekend especially with my wife away visiting her sister.

I brought her to emerg Sat morning as she was pretty dehydrated..

Wasn't much they could do, however they did speculate that we were victems of this viral outbreak.

Thank God my 2 year old son is okay, don't think I could've handled that as well..

Seems to be better this morning thankfully.

Hope the family unit is on the mend, Mike.

Another help is to take some probiotics - overwhelm the nasty bacteria with the good ones. They come in capsules that you can get from the drugstore or health food store, and are the same stuffs that you find in some yogurt.

I've had a severe sore throat for 5 days now..it's so sore to swallow that my ears hurt when I do. It seems to get better and then severe again..I haven't had any headaches, but I'm pretty conjested now and the colour of what's coming out of my nose is disgusting!!...

I thought that I may have picked something up on the plane last week during business travel.

Are these the symtoms???????....

Thanks Rick!!

Crips Steve..... that's just lack of Scotch while you were away..

LOL Wayne...I started to think it had something to do with the Busch beers I was putting back at the hotel lobby bar last Tuesday... :stretcher:

I can't ever remember having a sore throat this bad that has lasted for so long....brutal....hmmmmm, Scotch you say?....what a GREAT idea!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks!