A big Atlantic!!!

bucktail

Went down to Bronte today after being skunked AGAIN catfishing on the Grand yesterday.

Met Percher coming off the ramp, no good new.

He tried from 10 to 300 feet of water with no love.

Decided to hit my favorite early season Brown spots along the shore.

Runing a 3 rod spread of 2 #9 Blue and silver Raplalas and a Luhr Jensone Minnow in 7-12 feet of water.

Trolled about 5 miles with only one small hit when the wind stopped blowing from the west at .60k.

It was during this lull that the flatline 150 feet staright out the back decided to start screaming>

Big fish and lots of weight, took about 5 minutes to get a look at her. One minute I think its a brown the next I think it is a chinook.

Jonny finally scoops her in the net and onboard comes a big bold and beautiful 27 inch brown!

Hooks are in the gill unfortunatly so I curse having to keep such a beautiful chrome silver fish.

Its at this time that something doesnt look right.... hmmmm...... head is very slender...... no dots on the adipose or tail.

Get home and count the teeth on the tongue and count the rays on the anal fin..... 9 rays... dorsal fin clip amdtoungue matches up.

Seems this is a big Atlantic, probably one of the original stockers.

Here are some pictures.... barring a DNA test she is an Atlantic!

Hard way for team 4 to get 27 inches for a salmon.....dont I get bonus inches!!!

Pics a in a few minutes

gallery_221_42_34204.jpg

gallery_221_42_41783.jpg

gallery_221_42_136622.jpg

Edited by bucktail

Yea no kidding , I was trying to remember the minimum size on it.

Thank god I got it right.

Cant catch a friggin catfish but I can catch a big atlantic......go figure.

Took the laptop right out to the fish and did the ID on it.

Too bad we had to keep her....bummmer

We're seeing more and more Atlantics coming out of Lake O. I've seen a few this spring already on the salmon board... Looks like the stockig program is starting to work! That's a healthy looking fish...

We'll be lucky if these things take... fantastic fighters...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Chronzey's favourite thing to do in the world is criticize the MNR. Next to eating of course.

He's completely out of touch with his sport. Like the Don Cherry of fishing.

Now lets not go ruining bucktails post with Choronzey banter... especially from someone that's working the fishery. Do some history...Darryl's done more for the fishery in Ontario than anyone on this board... that's a fact. Nothing wrong with him getting a tad older and a little crusty. lol

Edited by irishfield

Now lets not go ruining bucktails post with Choronzey banter... especially from someone that's working the fishery. Do some history...Darryl's done more for the fishery in Ontario than anyone on this board... that's a fact. Nothing wrong with him getting a tad older and a little crusty. lol

Done more and done more good are two different things Wayne.

I said it,s a nice fish didnt I? :thumbsup_anim:

Yes the man has done great work,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never mind.

SRY buck.

I use to catch them out in the mouth of the Humber yrs back.Great fighting fish.

AWESOME FISH!!!

congrats on the catch.

Chronzey's favourite thing to do in the world is criticize the MNR. Next to eating of course.

He's completely out of touch with his sport. Like the Don Cherry of fishing.

Im not a Chronzey fan but this comment proves that you are infact "out of touch" with this sport!!!