Dave In Brantford... full report.

TJQ

So yesterday morning Monique and I get in the buggy and make our way down to el smoko grande... we felt we had left early enough so we would arrive in Toronto, around 3 or so pre rush hour... LOL... umm lesson learned we were on the QEW for at least 2 hours from Mississauga till the 403... pain is a good teacher ill say...

any way upon arrival we booked in and had a quick bite to eat at the restaurant, which was fine... i did notice however that they served nice big glasses of draft (this comes in handy later)

At 6:30 we head out the the "Grand Ballroom" cause that's when the doors open and theres a line up to outside the motel... so we get in line and eventually get in and grab a good seat.. with Spiel, Fish Famer, nauti, Dan, big ugli, deg, hometown handyman, mike, slowpoke, Pat, and many more present!!! (even some lurkers who came up to shake my hand, which was as always quite humbling.) Sorry ya couldnt make it Rick.

And then it starts, what turned out to be 2 hours of very entertaining fishing banter by three well ... professionals .. well....

Anyway most of the time they crowd was pretty good and all three presenters worked their way through some .. well fairly over imbibed hecklers.. lol (no not me.. )

The seminar was very well done, entertaining and a big hit, and I can't see why this type of thing wont happen again.

After the seminar was over, Dave sat down and signed autographed $10 subway cards and talked to each and every individual that wanted face time with him.. He really appreciates his fans. After they were through they were handing out Subs to everyone. I told Dave we'll be in the bar if you have a minute to spare after this is all over. So all of us OFC'ers took over a portion of the restaurant, cause the bar was too small (and noisy - some people shouldn't sing...) and put a few back. (You know your getting old when your proud of closing the restaurant...)

In comes Dave, JP and Ryan, as well as the Subway executives, and a Shimano Rep, and Dave buys a round!! What a guy. So we had a few more and had some good laughs and called it a night!!

In the morning Monique and I headed out and decided to see what this 407 thing was... WOW WOW WOW... next thing I know we've been transported to the BPS exit...... so obviously I had to turn in to make sure everything was still ok at the store.. I worry a lot you know.

Anyway turns out my fears were unjustified as the store is just fine. I bumped into Roger BPSbassman and had a nice chat with him, and told him I was looking for a couple new reels and a two piece pickeral rod. He told me that smbhunter (member) was the rod and reel expert and was quickly guided to what I should be buying at a great price I may add! Thanks for all your help Jason, it was much appreciated!

Off we went from there and arrived safe and sound. Thanks to everyone who came out, and everyone who had the patience to sit around and listen to me... lol.

There were a ton of hats/tackle gave away, at one point they were throwing $75 dollar cooler bags of Berkely Baits into the crowd.. I got a great picture below of a attendee snapping it up!!

I gotta say that Subway has done alot for this seminar series, and its nice to see a large corporation like that take an interest in the angling community. Kudos to them.

Heres some pictures from the night!

img_0802.jpg

img_0804.jpg

img_0805.jpg

img_0806.jpg

img_0807.jpg

img_0808.jpg

img_0813.jpg

img_0814.jpg

img_0819.jpg

img_0821.jpg

img_0822.jpg

Great seeing you again Monique!!...............oh yeah, you too TJ!

Its not every day I see a celebrity of your stature going through the store almost unnoticed!! :rolleyes:

I was really hoping to get out for the Brantford night myself but had to work unfortunately....DANG!!

The OFC contingent was really impressive in numbers and stature!! Sure sorry I missed it.

From everything I've heard, all seminars were well attended and very successful.

I must say that I think I saw a somewhat significant moment in Canadian Angling History on the last Saturday of this year's BPS FISHING CLASSIC. Bob Izumi came in and put on a great show as always which was well attended. He stuck around for awhile afterwards to sign autographs.

An hour later, he was followed by Dave Mercer. The crowd spread all the way back into Gifts and half way down the main aisle towards the front door!! When Dave was finished on the tank, he sat down at a table at the base of the tank and it took 1 1/2 hours before the last person in line got to see Dave!! He stayed there until he had seen and spoken to everyone.

I really believe I witnessed the passing of the baton that day. Bob has been a tremendous credit to the whole Canadian fishing industry and continues to be, but I think Dave's momentum has propelled him to being the BIGGEST (pardon the pun :rolleyes: )Angler in this country and is also well recognized across the border. He has helped introduce a new generation to the sport of fishing. You would not believe how many kids come into the store wearing a "Mercer" shirt!! Also, you can count on running out of whatever he was using the day after one of his shows!

He is certainly a credit to the whole Canadian Fishing Industry and just a fabulous Ambassador for Bass Pro Shops. I have seen him work with kids and its amazing. The guys that helped open the Calgary Store said that he was a huge success out there and was well recognized by all the kids. With the decline in fishing numbers these last few years it is good to see someone inspiring the younger generation to get up from their video games and get out fishing!

Thanks for the report TJ!!

I wish I was able to get out for this one but it was great to check out the first show and break Dave and JP in easy I am sure glad to here that everyone had a great time and als oto show Sub Way that there are alot of people from the OFC family that support guys like Dave and JP with there shows.

Thanks alot for the nights out and I hope to check out the next round of them Yes the cards have already been used and my daughter is using one for her scrap book of stuff her and I do together I cant wait to see this book some day when she is dont it will be great.

A grand time was had by all. The evening gave me a new appreciation for the board and the sense of community it generates. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

All of the speakers were very entertaining, one thing that would have improved an already excellent night would have been a Q&A session, but with the size of the crowd, it would still be going on now...

Had a great time. Made it home by 12:30am (and I only live 20 minutes away). My wife and kids were happy when they saw the fridge full of Subway :D and T.J. my son took ownership of my hat so I need to order a new one soon.

For anybody that hasn't been to an OFC get together, make sure you get out to one.

Oh ya, hometown how many reasons did we find why people shouldn't sing in public? 758?

Edited by Dan Bouck

Yup was a great night for sure & i really did enjoy the seminar....Even my youngest Son enjoyed it....He told me he never realised there were so many different types of rods for fishing....Was great meeting new OFNERS...Do have a few photo's which i shall get around to posting shortly..

Nauti.

PS....Hometown drop me a line when ur ready for some kitty kats ok?

Bigugli thankyou so much for the Harnsess...;) great chatting with u & the family.

Edited by nautifish

I was able to make it to the show in London - I must say these guys did a great job. It's not often you get to learn something and be entertained at the same time. I'd like to thank their sponsors also for putting on the series. I'm sure that without the sponsors this kind of thing would not be possible (esp at the entry fee they charged). Subway is definitely going to see more of me and the equipment/tackle sponsors will see more of me also. Great job.

Sorry I missed the show and sorry Dave for not believing that was you on the phone.Now I feel real :wallbash:

Dan

Oh yeah it was Dave, I was right beside him while he was yammering with you. :D

Dave feels that it's a one sided relationship. ;)

Hey Artie!!!!

I thought you were too fat to fish!!

Great Avatar TJ!!!!

Thanks!! No ones too fat to fish!!

smbhunter, It was a pleasure to meet you.