Cheap Reel, or Rod

holdfast

Thanks for the input guys, Yea you too Rich. Im confident that most people would go for the Shimano Reel and Ugly stick. I guess the Mitchell 300x would be another alternative. What I like about the Shimanoo is they always had no springs on their finger flip bails. A simple but effecient invention. No problems finding spare spools either. I find however on my 300x the handle screw loosens too easily and the spool for the drag seems to rotate off centre or crooked. Yea ive been happy with the 2 ugly sticks that ive used for many seasons

I have everything from $400.00 custom made rods fitted with some fairly expensive reals to things I have bought at auctions for $5.00 for the rod and reel.

Just bought a Shakespeare Supera (big water) rod and reel down in Myrtle Beach for $19.95. Excellent outfit (you can rent them on the pier for $18.00 a day, same thing).

We have a lot of kids and guests fishing here throught the summer and I always keep a bunch of rods and reels handy. I have found that if you watch for the sales you can pick up a reasonably good rod and reel combo at CTC for $29.00 - $39.00. I have always liked Shimano, Mitchell, but with 15+ combinations, I have a bit of just about everything.

My suggestion is; until YOU can tell the difference between a Good/Intermediate/Top of the line outfit, stick with the inexpensive stuff and enjoy yourself or come out here and experiment with some of the stuff I have.

Check out the Super Specials that LB puts in their catalogue every year. Some of the deals for spinning outfits are excellent bargains and the quality is there too. Get yourself to the Spring Fishing Show and LB's will fix you up no problem. For your $75, you can get a decent Daiwa or Shimano combo. I managed to find a super buy at BPS for my kids last fall. They were selling Shimano Sahara's (with fluidrive) with a BPS 6 1/2 ft. IM6 high mod graphite rod for $79. Just the reel retails for $85 at LB's. My kids can't wait to test drive their new outfits in the spring. They're fishing nuts.....Our friend's cottage is on a lake loaded with both small and largemouth bass, and walleye and pike are pretty good too. Non stop action can be had most days. We're so fortunate as we get to be custodians of the place most of the year, as our friends work overseas and are only home for 6 weeks in the early summer.

Check out the Super Specials that LB puts in their catalogue every year. Some of the deals for spinning outfits are excellent bargains and the quality is there too. Get yourself to the Spring Fishing Show and LB's will fix you up no problem. For your $75, you can get a decent Daiwa or Shimano combo. I managed to find a super buy at BPS for my kids last fall. They were selling Shimano Sahara's (with fluidrive) with a BPS 6 1/2 ft. IM6 high mod graphite rod for $79. Just the reel retails for $85 at LB's. My kids can't wait to test drive their new outfits in the spring. They're fishing nuts.....Our friend's cottage is on a lake loaded with both small and largemouth bass, and walleye and pike are pretty good too. Non stop action can be had most days. We're so fortunate as we get to be custodians of the place most of the year, as our friends work overseas and are only home for 6 weeks in the early summer.

MAN!!! I bought a Sahara a couple weeks ago for $87 from BPS. I'm excited to try it too, but know my butt hurts :angry: . I'll be at the Spring Fishing Show looking for deals though. Got my fingers crossed.

Another vote for the Ugly Stick. :thumbsup_anim:

One of the first rods I ever bought as a young teen about 24 years ago.

7ft. medium action spinning rod. A bit thicker and heavier than todays rods,

but I've used it for muskie and pike trolling. (it'll pull some large lures with ease)

Fished the rivers for salmon (30+ pounds), no problem.

Still have the rod and it's in great condition. Tough as nails.

I've checked out the new models of Ugly Sticks and they get my vote too.

ABU, Mitchell and Shimano reels always did their job for me.

You should be able to find a good combo approx. $75 or under as already mentioned.

A Mitchell 300X on a Shakespeare Ugly Stik will be in the $75 range at BPS if it is a spinning outfit you want

I'll second that. Or should that be third?

I have that Mitchell 300X & it is great for the price. It puts the line very evenly on the reel, more so than any of the much more expensive Shimano's or Quantums that I own.

Daiwa has really expanded into more economical combos and would be a great choice. Reel-wise a Daiwa Regal Xi is a phenomenal buy for $50 or less. Come with a spare spool, is available in sizes from a UL 1000 up to a monster 4000 and has a Daiwa drag!

Bass Pro Shops during it's Spring Classic is also a great place to get equipment! They will have their annual reek trade in program with all the older reels being donated to kids' clubs!

Cheers,

Dave

The best rod and reel combo is the one that fits your hand like a glove. It must be strong enough to control the fish that you are fishing for yet sensitive enough to feel the lightest bite. It needs to be light enough to cast all day without making your arm and wrist hurt. It most importantly need to be the combo that you want to fish with otherwise you have wasted your money. At different points in my life I have use this guideline to buy my equipment. The rods that I troll with, bobber fish or liver bait they can be heavier and less sensitive. The rods I cast with all day need to be light and the ones I finesse fish have to be very sensitive. Thru the years I have bought and given away many setups that I did not use because they were not just right and sat unused. So when you go shopping put together the combo in the store that you like then ask the price if it is to much then come back when you can afford it or talk the man down. If your new combo costs you 300 dollars and last only 10 years it is only 30.00 a year. Some of my set ups are 20+ years and still doing just fine. Finally as your taste in combos progresses and you find that some of your earlier combos are no longer used take them down to the water with you and find someone who would be thrilled to have your "special" combo for free so they can become hooked on fishing.

Art