NY fishing license to increase next year to $70

bassfighter

Well said solopaddler, I have to agree with everything you said. If the fee increase does nothing but maintain the status quo it is money well spent. If it causes an increase in opportunities, that's just a bonus!

Sorry, I will not be signing the petition.

Would you sign a petition that called for a decrease in angling opportunities in NY but keeping the license fee the same?

Edited by tonyb

Well for those of us that actually pay the fee to fish on the american side of the border, the 40 dollar USD was equal to 53.0 dollars cad. Now that looks like it will go up to 70usd that equals 93.10 cad. When Amercans buy Ontario license and pay 60 buck CAD, that equal rougly 49 dollars usd. So monetary wise 94 cad is quite steep to fish US NYS waters. I can tell you that I will be reconsidering buying a new license in October 09 if this is the new fee for us.

For those that replied and do not have a NYS license, its easy to say go for it. For us that do enjoy fishing the us side, it sucks.

Well for those of us that actually pay the fee to fish on the american side of the border, the 40 dollar USD was equal to 53.0 dollars cad. Now that looks like it will go up to 70usd that equals 93.10 cad. When Amercans buy Ontario license and pay 60 buck CAD, that equal rougly 49 dollars usd. So monetary wise 94 cad is quite steep to fish US NYS waters. I can tell you that I will be reconsidering buying a new license in October 09 if this is the new fee for us.

For those that replied and do not have a NYS license, its easy to say go for it. For us that do enjoy fishing the us side, it sucks.

Pete last year it was backwards my $62 license actually cost me $68.20..... not that it really matters heck I'd pay $100 for a license to come fish with my Canadian friends

I really understand it's more about the rate of increase than the increase itself, the State of Ohio is doing stuff like this with fees that the citizens don't even have say in

Is it still gonna be that piece of crap paper as a licence? i kept mine in my wallet, and the thing went blank... what the heck??? hopefully they make a hard plastic card... (blank paper/licence was replaced at no cost to me once i mailed them my old/blank one...)

as for the increase, it's quite a step up percentage wise... difference being the US do stock lots of fish, way more then Canadians, and they negotiate water access with land owners to help fisherman gain access to fishing grounds... too bad that doesn't happen here in Ontario, there's more & more NO FISHING signs coming up year after year...

for the 2 or 3X a year i fish NY, i'm still on the wall about wether or not i'm gonna renew... 1st year i got mine, i didn't use it once...

Phil, our dollar was higher for maybe 1 year, how many years have we been getting shafted with a lower dollar?

Solo, why would you make this statement??

Simple, it will hopefully cut down on the number of people on the rivers (those too cheap to pay the new fees).

Less crowding on the rivers is always a big bounus to those of us who don't like to rub elbows while on the streams.

Careful, elitism is very unflattering.

I am sure most of us would support more resources going toward improving our fishing and fish habitat.

Will this fee increase goes toward our interests. :dunno:

If NY state needs more money to fund fish resources then all the people who use the resource should contribute. Not just people who can only vote with their feet.

Is it the price point that is not a concern? What if it was $700 or $7000 instead of $70? What if we are facing some of the restricted access that is prevalent in Europe in 10, 20 or 30 years? Then we might be standing around looking at each other and wondering "How did we get here??? Why didn't we do/say something earlier?"

Trying to see both sides here. Personally I haven't yet fished in NY state, and I may not irregardless of this fee increase, so for me a $70 license has no direct impact at this point.

irregardless

this is not actually a word, don't mean to pick on you, but the misuse of "regardless" is just one of my pet peeves. The one that bugs me even more is when CNN pronounces the word "negotiate" as "negociate"....like fingers on the blackboard when I hear that one. There, I've had my rant now please carry on with the interesting debate.

Phil, our dollar was higher for maybe 1 year, how many years have we been getting shafted with a lower dollar?

Goran you are correct as of lately say 35 years, the first time I crossed the border it as backwards 1973

I made that statement just to poke Pete :D

this is not actually a word, don't mean to pick on you, but the misuse of "regardless" is just one of my pet peeves. The one that bugs me even more is when CNN pronounces the word "negotiate" as "negociate"....like fingers on the blackboard when I hear that one. There, I've had my rant now please carry on with the interesting debate.

And thus providing an example of my original point.

You all are still not getting it. As I have said before this money WILL be wasted on NON FISHING, mostly in NY City as always. Our taxes are sky rocketing this year, more than any other year and take a look here at what we get in return. This governor is the WORST we have ever had and now has a 60% NEGATIVE rating by voters.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/635661.html