ATV Help

danbouck

I'm looking at buying an ATV. I started looking at used ones but I can get an amazing deal on a brand new TGB 4x4 425. Has anyone heard of these. If so are the reliable? Any known problems? Only reason I am looking at this is because I can get it new with a warranty for the price of a used one.

It won't be used for anything big. Only hauling brush and going for cruises in the bush.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Haven't heard of them but they have been around for 30 years overseas. Apparently they make most of the cvt's out there like the ones on the vespa so I wouldn't think there would be too much problems. They make their own engine so I would imagine parts are readily available. Found a youtube video and if this is the one you are looking at, it looks pretty capable and they seem pretty reliable from what i have read in the last 20 minutes. I guess they must be doing something right though, they have been around since 1978.

Does the place that you are buying it actually do the service and warranty on it?

We see quite a few "off shore" ATVs and carts that are sold by TSC and others that sell but don't service them. While I can't really say too much about them we have had a couple of units that we have had a real problem getting parts for especially for the electrical systems. On a couple of occasions we have had units sit for 2-3 months waiting for parts.

I wouldn't say don't get one; if it was me, I would find out who does the service work, then I would go and ask them what sort of parts inventory they have for your unit. If they tell you that they can usually get parts within a few days, find out where they would get them from then call that place and ask what the delivery would be on a coil or a stator or something for the unit you want to buy.

A little bit of research and work now will save you a lot of problems later on.

Does the place that you are buying it actually do the service and warranty on it?

We see quite a few "off shore" ATVs and carts that are sold by TSC and others that sell but don't service them. While I can't really say too much about them we have had a couple of units that we have had a real problem getting parts for especially for the electrical systems. On a couple of occasions we have had units sit for 2-3 months waiting for parts.

I wouldn't say don't get one; if it was me, I would find out who does the service work, then I would go and ask them what sort of parts inventory they have for your unit. If they tell you that they can usually get parts within a few days, find out where they would get them from then call that place and ask what the delivery would be on a coil or a stator or something for the unit you want to buy.

A little bit of research and work now will save you a lot of problems later on.

The place I'm looking at is a distributor and service them themselves. When I was there they had a couple that they were working on. I will check to see how long shipping will take.

The place I'm looking at is a distributor and service them themselves. When I was there they had a couple that they were working on. I will check to see how long shipping will take.

I would feel much more comfortable knowing that! They will have some accountability to you as the customer.

Dan an ATV will last a very long time ,I would intially spend a lil extra now and get one from the big 4 that have been and will be around when and if ya need them ,we run the Yamahas and Hondas ,you will end up using the Quad for more than you could imagine at the moment

well I went through this about 3 years ago, didn't want to spend the big bucks on a new ATV made by the big 4 so started looking at the not so popular brands. I was on many ATV forums and the common theme of no parts and no service scared me off them. So for about the same money I would have spent on one of them new I bought a used Yamaha 4x4, I guess it would have been 5 years old then and it has worked perfectly since then and still has years of life in it. I know of several Yamaha and Honda ATV's that are 15 years old and still work perfectly. I say look for unit from the Big 4 a few years old with original tires, look underneath for signs of rough use, there are lots of good ones, I found that if the overall appearance is good most likely it was well looked after.

As the Shark pointed out.. buy name brand and don't worry. The little Yamaha Moto 4 we bought way back in 1983/84 still takes a regular beating every summer from the kids (now 21/24/26 !) Can't kill it... same deal with the automatic Breeze and the Big Bear we've had since '93 and based on the moto4 why I went Yamaha with them.

Edited by irishfield

stick with the big boys i say, especially yammy LOL

i have an 05' kodiak 450, love it, i beat the crap out of it, has hauled 4 bears, a dozen or so deer, 2 mooose, boats, trailer loads of gravel and firewood, and plowed my driveway since i had it, without a single issue, (other than self inflicted) cracked a floor board hauling a deer out of a swamp last fall on an underwater stump, put a little piece of angle and a couple bolts and is good to go

i got a buddy here in sudbury with a '84 moto 4, 2 wheel drive and has plowed his driveway every year and hauled all his fire wood every year and it sitll runs like new,

if you can afford new i would go new, they dont depreciate very fast, if not, a used quad i really like (if you're lookin for power, a real work machine, is a mid-90's suzuki king quad) true beast,

sorry i know nothing of the TRB company

A fellow around here started selling Moose 4 wheelers. I was looking for a second machine so did a search on google and read every review I could find on Moose 4 wheelers, Only problem was I couldn't find anything good said about them.

So I found a 2005 450 King Quad for the right price and am very happy with it.

Scott