Info request for stocking a pond

codered

Hello I recently moved to a new house and we have a pond in the back aprox a little smaller than a quarter acre

it is about 10-15 feet deep in the deepest area..

it is fed by a well and my guese would be 20 gallons an hour and has a discharge that goes into a small stream

aprox 30 yards away..I would love to get some fish for the children to fish and I may even throw a fly or two at them once and a while..

Does any one have any information on this issue im not sure how to go about this

p.s I would love to get the Boy fishing in it this summer if possible..

Thx guys tight lines

because there is a discharge going into a stream I believe that you must have a permit from the MNR

a guy I know did it with out a permit and it cost him a lot of cash and was ordered to fill the pond it

Because your pond drains into a stream you will need to contact the MNR about stocking your pond.

When I lived in Grand Valley we had a pond that did not drain into a river, stream etc and could go ahead and stock away.

Depending on the outflow size, distance from stream etc they may say yes or no or you may have to make some changes to go ahead.

They may even limit the type of fish you can stock.

Gice the MNR a call and they will be able to help you out.

I bought 1" fingerling Bass from Pure Springs, and the guy was excellent to deal with. I have since found a line on some much larger 6" to 8" fish for less money. Let me know if this is something you are interested in and are in my area. This might get your young lad fishing much sooner.

Depending on the water conditions in your pond, the fish may grow quite slowly. The more fertile, the better. With the well flowing into it, it may be very clean and less fertile.

Good luck, and check out www.pondboss.com. Loads of info there!

Well water probably does not contain adequate oxygen. You would most likely need to aireate the water.

... after getting the proper permits for stocking of course.

Try taking temperature readings at various depths through out the year. This will give you an idea of what fish the pond can support. Hopefully the MNR will allow you to stock that species.

Do you have TSC -Tractor Supply Stores up there? A lot of farm ponds in my area, and some farmers supply stores have a weekend or two in the early spring where the have someone come in and sell live fish for pond stocking.

Here it is probably a lot more limited to the species available Bass, Bluegill, Catfish, and a couple types of minnows, but maybe others are available?

Might help? http://www.polocenter.com/health/feedcaon.htm

Feed stores might have a clue?

Edited by OhioFisherman

Just for the board's knowledge,

I e-mailed Pure Springs because I've always been interested in bass fingerlings.

They quoted me a price of $2.50/fingerling (2 inch).

Edited by ADB

Paul, we have TSC stores up here (I believe they originated in Canada?) but they are not as good as the ones in the States. I bought bags of fish feed pellets at the store in Michigan last summer that are not even available here. It was a fraction of the price we would pay ...if we could even find it!

When folks around here think of ponds, they mostly think of trout as a species to stock. Pure Springs is one of the few places that sell other species, but they are a long way out of our immediate area and it is not easy to get there.

RattleTrap? trout? no self respecting pond owner here wouldn`t start with anything but bass! LOL Probably the reason why all the state record bass for the last 40-50 years or so have come from ponds. Just to much pressure on public waters here to see a 10 pounder.

I keep forgetting you don`t live in a pint sized state. TSC puts an ad out in the spring here, 6-8 inch bass like 10 bucks per. Most of the guys I know with ponds boosted the size with some caught fish, may not be legal there. Nice to stick in a few 18-20 inch fish at the start.

I know Paul, I know. LOL Folks here are a little slow to catch on sometimes!

I know for a fact that both LargeMouth and Smallmouth Bass do well here in ponds. The only thing nice about the rainbow trout is that they are voracious feeders on pellet foods and are fun to watch. Nothing quite like a silver missile shooting out of the water to grab a pellet!