Cubs/Scouts Fishing Advice Needed

fisherman7

A friend of mine is taking Cubs and Scout fishing this summer and needs some suggestions for shore fishing anywhere in the GTA or up to an hours drive from the GTA.

Doesn't matter what they catch as long as they catch something.

So, any suggestions fellas?

Thanks in advance.

We did the same a few years back when the boys were young. Went to a trout pond ( pay to fish) north of Barrie .

It cost a couple of bucks but the boys( and dads) had a good time and even got to bring dinner home .

Can't recall the name but would be beyond the 1 hour range.

TB

Just a word of advice since you will probably be taking out some very young novice fisherman.

Have them all wear protective eyewear sunglasses will be fine.An eye is not replaceable.

I have this rule in my boat with kids especially when casting alot.

Hope you have a successful day :Gonefishing:

Just a word of advice since you will probably be taking out some very young novice fisherman.

Have them all wear protective eyewear sunglasses will be fine.An eye is not replaceable.

Great point.

I believe I still have a copy of last years information sheet I created for our work family fishing day I organized. If you would like a copy PM me your email address and I will send it. It covers this point and other general stuff some parents might not consider when a group of young ones gets together armed with fishing gear :o

A little hint from a former scouter. I used to run fishing excursions from Beavers through to Scouts. You need 1 adult per 2 youth. They usually need a lot of help. The eye protection is a good idea. We would also try to sneak a little learning in there towards badge work. A few other spots within the hour:

Toronto Islands canals; Holland marsh canals at the 400 and#9 or just at the next ramp north; Charles Daley park has 2 ponds with lots of spring cats QEW at Jordan; Holland river Bradford.

You might also want to include these in your instruction class:

1. Debarb all hooks by crimping down the barb. If a hook gets impailed in clothing it comes out real easy. Also comes out easier in skin and fish.

2. Use jigs when possible. Most of the time they have enough weight to do the job. Gets them in the fish zone fast.

3. Use slip bobbers and a plastic bobber stop. Super easy to adjust depth. Easy to cast.

4. Teach the Uni Knot. It's not my favourite knot but it very easy to teach and learn.

5. If bait is a hassle (some kids are sqeamish about live worms - some parents too) try 3" truout worms. Pinkies work real well on almost all spieces. A crappie size jig and a pinkie are easy to cast and the work real well. My 8 year old daughter won't use anything else.

6. Use light lines. 4 and 6lb test are best. The heavy 20 lb stuff is too frustrating for little people.

7. Push button reels are best for beginners. Under spin leaver reels are the easiest to use (a little harder to find and a little more money). Spinning reels work. Stay away from baitcaster , fly rells and specialty reels.

8. Train your volunteers. Nothing is more frustrating than watching mom or dad reeling a spinning reel backwards on top of a rod and the line spinning off in a tangled mess. A few minutes with the volunteers a couple of days before the outing pays off --- these voluntees will practice in the back yard. The voluntees will have a great time too.

9. Check all the gear well before hand. Nothing is more frustrating for a little person than gear that won't work. Scrounge some backup gear....just in case.

10. Safety glasses

11. Remind that reels and sand/mud just don't mix.

12. Above all, have fun. Teach fishing and the catching(that's always a bonus) will evolve by itself.

muddler

• 1 month later...