Wilderness Training?

Headhunter

Hi folks,

I have a client of mine who has taken an interest in the outdoors. He has no experience in the outdoors and is eager to learn things like survivalist training, etc.

Does anyone know who he could get in contact with? Are there individuals or company's I could suggest to him.

Appreciate your consideration!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Look for organizations such as Outward Bound. Outward Bound Web Site

It's too bad he's not a woman as OFAH has their WOW weekends that gets the ladies into the outdoors and teaches them outdoor skills. WOW

Those are two I can think of right off the top O my bald noggin, a liitle googling should locate a few more.

Conestogo College in Kitchener has a Wilderness training continuing ed class.

At the end of the class, the students actually go into the wilderness (Parry Sounds area) for a night with linited items and must set up camp (not within 150 meters of another class member).

I know a few people who have done it and loved it.

Pretty cool anyway.

Flemming has some stuff as well. Weekend courses and things like that. The colleges are a good place to start. Most of them have sheet with the contact information for the various options.

Other then that i suppose you could just drop him off some where and wish him good luck lol.

-Dave

Pick up some books on the subject and start getting a background, then go out for an afternoon every once in a while and apply it to get some hands on skills. Maybe talk to someone from a Naturalist club, I'm sure theyre pretty gung-ho about getting people involved with the outdoors. They could teach him about wild edibles and who knows he could find someone who has an interest in the survival type thing.

Also Ray Mears has some good stuff for survival. Survivorman basically starves himself for a week then complains the entire show about how hes hungry and thirsty, so wheres the fun in his methods. Bear Grills method just kinda takes survival to a extream level, not for the average joe.