Cuban grunts

scuro2

IMGP0011.jpg

This was my first trip to the northern Cuban islands and what a nice respite from our dull gray March.

IMGP0023.jpg

What I often saw on my walk home.

IMGP0006.jpg

Purdy insects too!

IMGP0078.jpg

I met a new fish this time around, the lowly Grunt.

The fish grunts like a pig...literately, and any Caribbean bridge fishermen knows that fish like anyone fishing northern Ontario waters knows Rock Bass here. If you think you have hooked a nice Jack and the rod doesn't bend quite as heavy as it should, it's a Grunt. It's the most handy bait around if you have nothing else to fish with.

IMGP0008.jpg

Heavy spring winds put me on the bridge and once there I anchored in for the week. I had a feeling I would end up there after reading reports so I brought along the big artillery. I bought a Shimano 6500 baitrunner with about 300 yards of braided. Overkill? You may think.... My Baitrunner was something that caught every Cuban's eye. It would be the equivalent of showing up with a Porsche at your reunion. One thing you can't do in Cuba is ignore how little they have. My whole tackle box was full of stuff they could only dream of owning. The US embargo limits what comes into Cuba. It was easy to trade things to get good live bait. You also just shed stuff because you see that a good number of them fish without rods or reels and other basic stuff. If you see that they get bitten off, you offer wire trace. When their hooks get bent out, you offer better hooks. And when they are catching you the best live bait, you give them anything they want. If you don't like the idea of shedding what you have, Cuban bridge fishing isn't for you.

(the rest of this content will be posted on my Facebook page tomorrow for those of you who know my name. I figure if I am providing free content to OFC, then I can get a little service. I'm not asking for much. My original user name and page is no longer accessible to me. That happened many months ago, after I tried to change my password. I'd like to access that again because I used to save the best pms I got and would look over the advice offered from time to time. Granted, a moderator did respond briefly to my first two e-mails, but no one has ever gotten back to me, and at the very least, offered to explain exactly why I can't access that profile. This even after another respected member inquired for me.)

Edited by scuro2

All I ask is that some moderator actually try to help me open my real profile. I'd love to post the full story, it's a good read, but figure this is only chance of getting some attention. I'll post the full story on another message board in a few days and provide a link if I continue to get ignored. I've tried about 60 times with about 10 password changes. I'll give them my password and they can see for themselves how frustrating it is trying to access that profile, and it's not like I'm technically illiterate. Going the next step, when a respected member inquired, still no one contacted me. I've sent about 10 e-mails over the months and have been surprised at the total lack of a real response.

Edited by scuro2

All I ask is that some moderator actually try to help me open my real profile. I'd love to post the full story, it's a good read, but figure this is only chance of getting some attention. I'll post the full story on another message board in a few days and provide a link if I continue to get ignored. I've tried about 60 times with about 10 password changes. I'll give them my password and they can see for themselves how frustrating it is trying to access that profile, and it's not like I'm technically illiterate. Going the next step, when a respected member inquired, still no one contacted me. I've sent about 10 e-mails over the months and have been surprised at the total lack of a real response.

Try clearing your temporary internet files. If you are using Internet Explorer go to tools -> internet options -> and then click on the delete button under browsing history, then click delete all.

Try logging in again...

OK, I'll try again. I'll reset your password (if you want) and pm you the new scuro password to the scuro2 account then try to sign into the scuro account. And yes, try what Tony says.....I thought we'd been through all of this.

Ahhh......thank you!!

I spent a week in November at cayo santa maria, with similar results. The wind was relentless, so we were fishing the bridges. I also ran into, and got to know the local cubans that were there fishing, and like you, I left the majority of my gear there with them. I got many things in trade that I didn't ask for as well. One fellow showed up one morning with 3, 2.5Kg bags of primo cuban coffee for me.......where he got it I have no idea, but it just goes to show how apprecitative they are.

On my last day there, I gave my catch of 3 snappers to that fella, and tucked in the bag a few more small pieces of tackle. A spool of 40lb mono, some larger slip wieghts, and swivels/snaps, and one white X-rap. He didn't look in the bag right away. About an hour later, he came over with my gear, offering to return it, thinking I had left it in there by accident. When i said it was a gift for him, he was close to being in tears. The look on his face was priceless, one of the highlights of my trip for sure.

I'll definitly be going back there. I had a great time.

Thanks for posting your experience, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sinker

I hear there are some awesome spots on the bridge to the mainland. Santa Maria was a place I was looking at.

Yes, some awesome spots for fishing. With 50km of causeway, there is bound to be a couple good spots!

I think there was a bridge every km along the way, but we only fished a couple of them. We just rented bikes, and loaded our backpacks with gear and beer and away we'd go. It was a great trip.

The resort was also top notch, the people were great, and the food was awesome. We did the same thing with our fresh catch a couple times. We had snapper and jacks almost every day while we were there. No problems getting fresh shrimp for bait from the kitchen staff either, especially when you show up with a few fresh snappers as a gift :)

S.

Sinker and Scuro2,

You guys are good people. I can only imagine how happy you made those fishermen with your gifts of tackle items that they just don't have access to.

I was in Cuba in 1975 as a young teenager and had the opportunity to fish with a great man and also leave a few items behind with him. He gave me a couple of jigs that I have held on to all these 34 years later. They mean a great deal to me.

One of these days, I would love to get back there and enjoy the type of vacation that you are writing about.

Thanks for stirring up some grand old memories!

Brian

This is what a Jack looks like after a four foot Cuda is done with it.

IMGP0081.jpg

For those of you who have ever wanted to fish the southern oceans I highly recommend the Boatless fishing forums. I've posted my full report there. Follow the link.

http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewtopic...p;sk=t&sd=a

That actually looks like he head of a Blue Runner to me.