Anchor for the canoe

Dan668

The best way to anchor a canoe is to use two anchors. They don't have to be heavy....mushrooms are ok. Never anchor from the side of a canoe. Use one anchor at the stern and the other at the bow both secured with quick release knots to be able to break-away should you get unexpected waves.

Mushroom works fine in soft bottoms, mud and muck, not great in sand or rock, it doesn`t dig in. Small navy style might be your best bet for an all around anchor.

Sand bottom anchors, Danforth? are usually thinner steel, meant to bury themselves in the sand to hold. Had one on my bigger boat for Lake Erie it worked well. Also carried a navy style for back up and in case I wanted to fix both ends of the boat.

River style anchor is sort of like a mushroom but with gaps it will work on harder bottoms also. I carried a river style and a navy style in my 17 foot aluminum.

The best way to anchor a canoe is to use two anchors. They don't have to be heavy....mushrooms are ok. Never anchor from the side of a canoe. Use one anchor at the stern and the other at the bow both secured with quick release knots to be able to break-away should you get unexpected waves.

I 2nd that. troutologist's idea's pretty good too.

5lb Navy anchor up front, with small Bass Pro sea anchor out back. Keeps swinging to a minimum unless you're in a crazy spot where the wind switches 180 every five minutes. My navy anchor I picked up in a surplus store for $5, knowing how overpriced Crappy Tire has become they'll want something retarded for it.

For portaging into lakes the only thing that won't get sliced up by Shield rocks is a basketball net filled with stones.

This is the style that we use for our canoe and inflatable. We have a 6 and 8 pound which both work great on their own and better together to stop spinning. They come heavier if needed. They fold up into a small carrying case which takes up no room at all in the boat.

West Marine anchor

I have the west marine type and works like a charm.....

Where can you get one of these?