Minn Kota Power Drive

sneak_e_pete

I have a 55lb Minn Kota Power Drive bow mount and I find that I have a hard time controlling it. I see these guys on T.V. effortlessly controlling their boat and when I use mine, I zig zag all over the place. I often get so frustrated that I pick up the pedal and use my hands to control it. Is it just practice, or does anyone have any tips.

They are hard to control if the power in on all the time. Try just using bursts at slower speeds, its more of a on/off correcting type of control. That being said, the constant on/off is noisier and more likely to spook fish. One of my goals this year is to use the electric less...I have a 55 PD as well.

funny you say that....when we first got our Legend in 2003, it was the first boat my family ever had with a bowmount electric. It took a bit of getting used to at first. I got a bit of a laugh when you said you got frustrated and would pick it up and use your hand, when I first started using ours,if I was trying to get into a really tight area to fish I would just kneel down on the front casting deck and fish with one hand and use my other hand to steer the boat :lol:

It's just a matter of practice is all getting used to how it steers and used to the "throttle pedal" at the same time, just set the "power/speed from 1-10" at the the lowest setting you need to move the boat well in the conditions you are fishing in this way when you step on the throttle pad you don't jerk the boat around too bad, then at the same time, just adjust your steering accordingly with little shots at a time as opposed to having the on/off switch on steadily.

Also keep in mind when doing lots of steering, that on the head of the motor, the thinner part of the "oval" is the part that points in the direction the boat will move...if you have trouble figuring that out, put a little sticker or paint an arrow on it, I have seen guys do this before.

You will get used to it in no time, it's just practice is all, soon you will find yourself throwing a seat up the bow and kicking back on it, running the electrics all day long and having a great time catching more fish simply because you can get a better natural presentation with good boat control. :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

The guys you see on TV are usually using cable drive motors. I grew up using a power drive motor on my old mans boat and got used to it. Then over the past year or so got used to using the cable drive minnkota maxxum and CAN'T STAND using my old power drive anymore! Personal pref. I guess, but once you get used to it I find that cable steer electrics are much easier to operate.

cheers

UF

I've got a power drive, which I use almost exclusively on "cruise control". I find the "gas" pedal a bit jerky. Be careful with those things, last year mine broke and was stuck on full speed! The first time it happened when I turned it on nearly fired me right out of the boat.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a co-pilot,,,wireless remote,,,it makes controlling it so much easier,,,i haven't pulled out my foot pedal in two years!!

Agreed...I had same issues and now I use co-pilot remote. Also I find that by NOT trimming my outboard out of the water, the boat does not "swing" around as much when using the MinnKota.

I've got a power drive, which I use almost exclusively on "cruise control". I find the "gas" pedal a bit jerky. Be careful with those things, last year mine broke and was stuck on full speed! The first time it happened when I turned it on nearly fired me right out of the boat.

thats been the cause of a couple meltdowns for me.. i've got an old one, and every once and a while it'll work in opposite mode too... ie take foot off pedal and it goes full speed, put foot on and it stops...

They had alot of problems with circuit boards in the foot pedal of the older model PD units.

I bought a new one in '99 and it burned out after the 1st season. Aikmens fixed it for me under warranty but said I could expect to have it go again before too long.

I dumped it and bought a cable steer.

Wow, this thread is too ironic........its like you guys watched me out on the boat last year when i first used my powerdrive and wrote a report on my days on the water with it LOL

I almost spit coffee when you guys both mentioned picking up the foot pedal.... done that too, i felt more at home like i was playing a playstation or something lol. Anyone ever do the 360 and wrap the cable around the top of the motor lol. It really does get tricky up at the front, especially when ya got a pair in the back of the boat yelling at you to straighten it out when your trying to unhook a fish and steer and keep the guys in the back blades moving lol Ill tell ya what though, it was the best investment ive made in a long long time.........fishing or non

I don't think anyone was an expert at it up right away .Also quilty of picking it up .

also difficult when somone is in front of the boat and I'm trying to steer from midships.

As PT mentioned slow speed is the key for me . works best whn I can leave it on and work with the wind.

My footpetal is also acting up (Stops starts in its own)and was planning to take it in next week for repair , but maybe co-pilot is the better way to go .

TB