Skunks(nf)

kuhaman

I let my dog out this morning and when I called him back in he stunk so bad I gagged. He found a skunk and decided to get a little to close and got sprayed. Anyone have a good remedy for getting rid of the smell? I tried this stuff called skunk off but it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas? :dunno:

same thing happen to my dog i washed him in tomato juice it worked great.

wash him down with the tomato jucie then wash it off and repeat.

Then just use his dog shampoo and everything should be good.

Hope that helps

Yes....my yellow lab got it in the face a few years ago. I tried tomato juice which only masked it. Then tried dog shampoo which helped a little. What really did the trick was a formula I found online. It was a combination of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a teaspoon of lemon dish detergent (mixed in a bowl and allowed to bubble). Apply to the dogs coat, let sit for 10 minutes and rinse. Got rid of the smell for the most part. Could only smell skunk if I stuck my nose in her fur. Time is the only thing that will get rid of it completely.

Insructions can be found here.

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html

My dog has been blasted twice in three years.

I found the tomatoe juice just masks the odour and when the dog gets wet you will still smell it bad

I think I used water, hydrogen peroxide and something else...... Not sure if it was dish soap or baking soda.

GOOGLE is your friend.

Hope this helps

B

Edited by Brian

Had a family of the buggers move in last summer under my garage , My stupid german sheppard was getting sprayed two three times a week .I tried all the home made stuff my friends told my about and bought a few of the skunk out things at the pet store what I found that worked was just plain old dish soap , a good washh and rinse with lemon dish soap was the best thing I found . Whan i finally managed to trap one of them the animal control guy just checked him out and than RELEASED IT at the end of my driveway !!!!!! Funny tho a few days latter they just all died, sad so very very sad ???? Must had been a murder suicide or one of the young skunks was playing with a loaded gun , skunk home invasion , toronto is becomeing a dangerous place sh#t happens , who knows with skunks ??? but ya they all died and I burried them in the garden , no more smelly dog

Edited by capt bruce

I have a dalmation and he has been sprayed twice and I know what you mean when you say you gagged. First time I was out in a field throwing a ball and he ran off and chased it and lost that battle. I had to tie him in the back of my pick up and back it into the driveway and use the bed as a bathtub with the garden hose. I used tomatoe juice, skunk off shampoo followed by head and shoulders shampoo and then a final rinse with toothpaste and that seemed to work. Good luck

The online recipe, originally shown on tv, works better than the store brands.

I had my lab sprayed twice in an hour while I was at the camper in the winter. Couldn't leave the dog outside so I washed him with the mixture rinsed and dried him in front of the fireplace. He slept in my sleeping bag that night.

Just so you know, you have only about 5 hours before the oil sinks into the skin pores and has to grow out. Do it immediately!

Pam

Wow, all of these remedies. It's going to be useful if that ever happens to me in the future.

But all this talk has me wondering, a dog's nose is ever soooooooooo strong, do they hate it? Or do they act like nothing happened except they're now walking around like a skunk? B)

My sheltie fought and got sprayed a few years ago .

lett me tell you I went threw 3 bottles of skunk be gone.

tomatoe juice.. poroxide and dish soap . baking soda and tonic water.. everything i could find..

The fine fur of this little guy wouldn"t let the smell go away..

I think after 4 months and 40 bathes it was still linguring ..

Good luck with the battle..

My dog has been sprayed 3 times...he is a curious fellow! I took him to the vet all 3 times, the stuff they use worked very well, no skunk smell left at all. It cost $50 but was well worth it.

any idea of the name of the product?