Spinner blades big as trash can lids!?

mudball

Musky baits seem to be getting bigger and bigger these days as seen on TV shows and in tackle stores. I've watched the TV guys talk about moving more water with big-bladed bucktails (they always land a large fish right at the end of the show!) Last weekend I was in a tackle shop and checked out their musky offerings. Holy smokes! There were huge bucktails with spinner blades bigger than trash can lids! (don't know brand but cost $35)

Being for the most part a lazy guy and knowing that serious musky fishing can require 14-hour days on the water, I've always favored smaller bucktails to reduce the effort. An added consideration is increased wear on knots, line, and reel.

What are your thoughts? Have these baits been worth the effort? Can you claim an advantage one way or the other?

Thanks,

mudball from Minnesota-LOW is my favorite fishing hole!

Well, I can't say I do any muskie fishing, but I did read an interesting article in Outdoor Canada about pike, and I think the same applies to muskie. The larger fish will choose to prey on larger-easy targets as opposed to chasing down many smaller prey. Less energy output on this fishes part to catch one meal as opposed to many with the same caloric value means an easier life. In that regard I can see why up-sizing bucktails might be advantageous. On the other hand the fish might be less likely to strike as a reactionary bite, fearing damage from a larger intruder.

I think it all depends on the water you are fishing, and if you are trophy hunting. The old saying goes "big lures catch big fish" but if your after numbers, I would suggest keeping the size down. But like I said I don't muskie fish, so what do I know?

Mostly a bass fisherman and Muskies will take bass sized baits readily, that said most of the really big ones I have stuck have been on Muskie sized lures. No real success landing them either way, just not properly prepared. If I was seriously interested in landing them I should have been.

Smaller lures will work, money might be better invested in the rest of the tackle? Braided line quality leaders, bigger reels heavier rod?

I'm hardly a expert, but IMO they are worth it when looking for bigger fish.

Musky Mayhem tackle was one of the first companys to offer big, double bladed bucktails.

One quick look through their "trophy room" and you will see their success.

http://www.muskymayhem.com/trophyroom.htm

Now, just about every major, and basement blade bait manufacturer makes these huge baits, simply because they do work.

I agree with sizing down for numbers, but when I'm on big fish water, I want to do everything I can to up my odds at a trophy.

Little guys still hit these baits as well. I got a 36" fish last year on a Double Cowgirl (2 #10 blades.)

Yes, they are a workout to throw for any length of time. Proper gear helps. I throw mine with a 7'6" St Croix Premiere and a Calcutta 400b reel. I've just added a power handle to it this year, so hopefully that will help out the hands and arms. A lot of guys are now using BIG reels to throw em. Abu 7000 series, Shimano 700's and even Shimano Trinidad salt water reels.

Here's a sample of what I'll be throwing this year:

Booty Tail - Double 13 blades

Double Cowgirl Double 10's

Bucher Slopmaster as a size reference.

HPIM1514.jpg

If your solid into catching Musky, then stick with the biggest bull you can afford and throw. Little stuff (bass sized spinnerbaits) will no doubt catch musky. But I have yet to catch a Bass on a12" Jointed Believer. If you want to catch musky and nothing but, throw the big stuff. If you jsut want to go out and catch fish go with the smaller stuff.

we did really well last year with homemade double #13 colorado bladed bootails.. approx. 15-16" long. a 15-16" trout is a nice light snack for a 50" muskie. this year we're gonna try #16 blades. they are not something you can cast all day (get in the gym now) but definately pick your spots. they also require specialized tackle (even more so than typical muskie gear). st. croix has an 8'6" extra heavy and I use it along with an Abu 7001 C3.

these baits really rumble and move a ton of water. in highly pressured waters I think throwing something at them they've never felt before triggers them.

these are #10 blades.. and not quite 16" so think a little bigger

boovsbass.jpg

I say throw what you are comfortable with. The wrong lure in the right spot will out-fish the right lure in the wrong spot. If you can cast a lot more with smaller baits it may pay off over fewer casts with a larger bait. But I am trying some larger blades this season- on spinnerbaits too. Don't forget trolling- easier on the arms.

Guest steel'n'esox

The big blades are extremely popular, and continue to move some of the bigger fish, doublecowgirls/cowgirls received their first auditions on Minnisota waters a few years back and continue to produce big muskies on those pressured waters today. Bluefox has a big blade double cowgirl knockoff for around 20.00 with the fancy tinsel hulagirl skirt as well, lets say it looks rather sexy