Stranded

bigugli

Well, Here I sit. Totally bummed out :angry:

Son had the van in that wicked rain Saturday and, long story short, out in the middle of nowhere, the van loses power and the gears won't engage.

I was hoping electrical fault, sensor, etc... something reasonably simple. Not so lucky. They figure the coupling(?) snapped and want $3000 to do the fix. I near about crapped myself. Wife and I have been ill for some time now and all we have is the disability cheque to get by on. There's no way we can come up with that scratch.

Asked around for a second/third opinion or estimate. Now we can get the trannie repaired/rebuilt for $1500 (we hope) by only replacing what needs replacing :( Of course it means being stranded for another week around the house. 2 weeks back we replaced a smashed out window. :wallbash:

The silver lining? More time to pour and paint jigs, tie bucktails and harnesses. I guess I'm going to have to sell a lot of these things to help pay this bill :blink:

Seein as trouble comes in threes, I'm really dreading the third roll of the dice :wallbash:

caravan I am guessing? Pretty famous for that.

Get a tranny from the wrecker if the van is an 02 or older.

04 Freestar. Up til this week it has been a great vehicle hauling the boat and timber and 180,000 kms on the dial

04 Freestar. Up til this week it has been a great vehicle hauling the boat and timber and 180,000 kms on the dial

Sorry to say, it should be expected if you were subjecting to that type of duty.

Minivans are not utility vehicles, they're car chasis and drivetrain with a van body on them.

Not trying to dis you or your vehicle... just a fact.

I just got my tranny totally rebuilt by Ian at NORTHERN TRANSMISSIONS in orillia. I had to get a torque converter from him also because mine was toast. The total bill was $950. The quote over the phone to rebuild the tranny was 500-750 depending on what was needing done. He took it apart infront of me and showed me exactly was was wrong ( everything was messed in mine) so it was 750 for the tranny and 200 for the torque converter.

PLUS I dropped it off one day and it was ready by 2pm the next day. The guy used to own a mr transmission but decided to go solo and seems like a realy decent guy.

Sorry to say, it should be expected if you were subjecting to that type of duty.

Minivans are not utility vehicles, they're car chasis and drivetrain with a van body on them.

Not trying to dis you or your vehicle... just a fact.

Quite right. The vehicle was a compromise, when bought, to meet family and household needs.

caravan I am guessing? Pretty famous for that.

Get a tranny from the wrecker if the van is an 02 or older.

Just replaced the tranny on 02 Caravan about a month ago.

Cost 1300 for refurbished transmission w/ labour.

Seems to be about the going rate for used transmission replacement, not 3000.

Good Luck

99 venture about 5 years ago cost 1300 and change for a refurb tranny. still goin with almost 300,000 km on it.

Invest in a tranny cooler if you haven't already . Both of our minvans ( see I have two !) have them as extra insurance.

TB

Also sorry to hear about the van Bruce, we took many a fishing trip in her.

I just started having tranny probs last Fall in my old Ford car and before it's warmed up for about a good 10 mins when it's below freezing out, it has a hard time wanting to go into gear. Was told it needs a control valve assembly and was quoted about $500 at a trans shop, but pretty sure I could get it done cheaper if I shopped around.

It seems fine when the temp is above 0* and the fluid doesn't get as thick and the filter is fine so going to leave it as it is and hopefully don't caught somewhere with a prob.

They just don't build vehicles like they used to, especially like the muscle cars we drove back in the 70's. :canadian:

We got the van back today. After the taxes $1250 for the rebuild. A lot better than the original estimate.

To all those who offered their advice and assistance......... THANK YOU. Its a great group of people here at OFC