the last few weeks of fishing

aniceguy

I havent fished since December 15 and I really feared I wouldnt until Florida.

Thankfully the gods aligned and I was able to get out on the Niagara last week, it was a 4 foot of vis ice infested a dodging and running day filled with some of the typical laughs and some nice mid winter chromers.

The day started with none of us able to convert a roe bite so a streamer bite it became, until mid day and finally it became an egg bite.

The usual drifts werre suprisingly busy for the conditions that existed

Anyhow I enjoyed it, maybe I ll get out one more time before florida

the deserted ramp and the ice of the day

IMG_0038_0308_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0051_0321.jpg

A streamer fish

IMG_0041_0311_edited-1.jpg

thank god I brought the mask as it was seriously cold

IMG_0052_0292.jpg

a few more fish from the day

IMG_0054_0294_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0045_0315_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0063_0303_edited-1.jpg

PART 2

Luckily last week wasnt the last kick at the can

Well earlier in the week a buddy and I talked , and figured we could fish this weekend and see if we can repeat last weekend's fun , I know with going away to florida for the better part of March then coming back to start the monumental job on the Credit, this just might be my last kick at the can on the Niagara.....and certainly the last time I see -16 which was what it said in the car when I went to start it this morning, god next week this time Im under palm trees and bass fishing drinking an ice cold beer rather then floating in a river of ice

So after seeing extremely mild conditions and hearing some great reports I really felt today would be a spectacular day

ok to start the day it was -16 with a wind chill of -22 and colder then the arctic, frozen hands on fish, numb hands on hooks frozen roe bags on and on and on certainly not the +8 from yesterday well you get the rest.

Every time we took off a glove or hat it took seconds to freeze but 20 minutes to warm up it was brutal and with the ice pretty much the toughest conditions on the Niagara....we somehow did manage to find some fish...it was also a strange day as the mud slick from the US plant created visability to go from 5 feet to 1 inch and a current that was meager to say the least....those that know the Niagara by boat, a strong swimmer could have swam the river below pebbly go figure that

But we did manage some respectable fish and the usual laughs and giggles...Hopefully the next report will have some salt water flats and in land bass in it.....enjoy the pictures

20090228_0333_edited-1-1.jpg

even with a fack mask, and goggles I have some frost bite on my face

but the chromers are always worth it

20090228_0338_edited-1-1.jpg

20090228_0331_edited-1.jpg

We even managed to find one of the locals mingling with those chromers, seems he took some serious ice damage but he swam away happy

20090301_0324_edited-1.jpg

and a few shots of the kicker, its prop and the gunnel of the boat from ice...

the conditions were so bad that the water outlets on the engines needed defrosting in fact a local guide had trouble and when we went to see if there was something we could help with we saw him solve this problem by stuffing hot coffee in the outlet>>>>> made a mental note of that for those -16 days

20090301_0328.jpg

20090301_0322-1.jpg

20090301_0329.jpg

20090301_0330.jpg

it was cold it was awful it was miserable, frozen guides frozen body parts its all about hardcore but any time you can boat some chrome rockets is always worth it in my mind

Edited by aniceguy

Well done! I was out on the ice today as well, and it was COLD! Luckily I had a heated hut, unluckily I turned the propane off, and didn't have a lighter! So I endured 2 hours in a hut, but no wind, what you were doing? very respectable!

yahoo, now that's some hardcore fishin right there

gotta live winter on the big river :w00t::Gonefishing: , last time I was out there in my boat we had to do all of idle speed to get around there was so many ice cubes.

Your pics really describe some of the rigours of winter fishing all the way..everything gets flash frozen...I use silicon lube on my bow mount and my seat posts top help with everything getting stuck in the winter..works great.

been there done that a few times over the years on the river :huh:

Hot coffee eh????, I am gonna have to ask Paul about that one next time I see him on the water :lol: , by some of your pics looks like it's gonna take a while to unthaw the Yammy boat off the trailer :P