Ice visitor

brkygetr

Had the day off so went with a buddy to explore some more of a lake that is supposed to hold some big fishies. Day started off well on the way up as a pack of timbers loped across the highway in front of us.

Perfect conditions on the lake made travel a breeze so we put 15 miles behind us and fished the top end.

Absolutely pristine day with sun shinin' and a balmy -15, no wind.

Anyway fishin' wasn't to hot, put a couple on the ice but nothin great.

We did however have a vistor. This guy(or gal????) showed up to check us out, it was aprox 125 yds away, upwind, no cares or concerns. Pretty cool to see that close.

Jan3109029.jpg

Jan3109030.jpg

Jan3109031.jpg

Jan3109032.jpg

Jan3109035.jpg

Jan3109036.jpg

Jan3109037.jpg

yeah the pics don't do it justice..... and yes a wolf for sure and nice and healthy. My buddy went for a rip to get a closer look at it and when I was watching him on his sled and the wolf running it didn't look that much smaller. After he got back the wolf stayed a little further away but was not scared or spooked, just did a large lap around the bay we were in and had a good look at us.

Yup cool for sure....I would have been so excited.. :thumbsup_anim: ....Before i moved to dover six yrs ago i lived out in the boonies.....

I was Away in Europe and at that time had a spaniel Dog here in Canada that i had rescued.....Well one evening around 10.30pm sinns had let booker out too p. A few minutes later he went to call him in and no booker so he went out back and walked to the side of the house and could see a very large animal walking down our lane way with booker in tow....Following.

He swears it was a wolf but i can't say as i never saw it.

Tuesday morning just past had a coyote right outside the front of my house at 5.30am not quite a wolf....lol....but i was surprised all the same.

Edited by nautifish

we were well off the beaten path and in an area that receives little to no pressure during the summer months and very little logging activity....now that i think about there is no logging activity as the stands are all mature white, red, and jackpine. Winter is the only time to get there so the wolves of this area are probably quite comfortable in their element and not so spooky of outside influences.

what Did ya catch ???!!

We got 3 lakers but nothing worth digging the camera out for, we spent most of the day just traveling and checkin out the lake. Taped holes here and there but did not seriously fish. The spot we saw the wolf was the longest we stayed in one area hence why we caught the fish there.

I was just heading North on Harmony Rd (in Oshawa) and just past Conlin Rd there was a rather large wolf standing in the filed on the East side. I pulled over to take a pic but the blaclberry doesn't take pic's well when the wolf is about 300 yards away... It was just stadning there sniffing the air looking to see what was around. It was big too, bigger then my 80LB lab. It had some great colours too. I was thinking of heading back over there to try and get a good pic but I'm sure it's gone by now...

Guest gbfisher

Im not so sure. :D I live in Etobicoke and the Yotes that go through my Back yard look just like that. Its on the small side for a wolf. Not to mention if it was a wolf it would not be seen for any legth of time near humans.... ;)

Im not so sure. I live in Etobicoke and the Yotes that go through my Back yard look just like that. Its on the small side for a wolf. Not to mention if it was a wolf it would not be seen for any legth of time near humans....

OH it was a wolf for sure, not many coyotes out here, and even less in the bush. Buddy was beside it on the sled doin 35 mile an hour and he got a good look at it from under 25 ft. Like I said it was neat at how close it stayed, wolves are very inquisitive, he just wanted to have a good look at what was in his territory. His tracks in the snow were hand sized. No coyote like that.

As I side note I have seen wolves in the bush while chicken hunting that will just step out on a trail and watch you. Thats when you get nervous, they on the other hand can just slip away like a ghost and then they are out of site. You tend to fell a little freaked out when 5 minutes later one lights up (howls) from the oppisite direction you saw it dissapear....and then another and another.

Makes your hair stand up, believe me.

They are awesome creatures.

wolves travel in packs, wild wolves packs in ontario really only consist of 5 or 6, if that was a wolf there were others close by.

Cheers!

Not necessarily, seen a lone wolf while fishing in my canoe taking a drink of water and it was alone. I also seen a lone Wolf tracking a Deer a Km from it while doing Helicopter Operations in Petawawa and also it was alone. Also I'M thinking that its a coyote, just by the way the tail hangs down and the length and it being bushy. Also I know talking to a Trapper around Algonquin Park he told me that the Wolves are bred with Coyotes and are more Coyote. Well guess what, some highly paid Environmentalist/Biologist confirmed her astonishing discovery a few years later and made a documentary. Hummnm. By any chance does this canine Border within a couple hundred Kms of Algonquin. Where is this place?

ACTUALLY having looked at it a second time, and studying the tail, Id say Wolf. However to know for sure from a distance, If it was moving, a Coyotes tail will droop down and it is rather long for its body.

Edited by holdfast

:wallbash: the pictures are of a wolf...maybe i just presumed that everyone would realize that, my bad.

I just wanted to share them.

There is no debate on the species. It is a wolf. Trust me.

oh and nowhere near Algonquin...actually 1143.97 Km N/W as the crow flys....from the west gate on #60 highway.

Great report and pics brkygetr :thumbsup_anim:

He definitely did not look too concern about your presence until one of you got closer..... from the ones I've seen in the bush, I say you guys were lucky to be able to snap a few pics of it cause the ones I seen was only a split second.

Thanks for sharing

Leechman