Lake Superior Park Brookies

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

went up to lake superior provincial park for some backcountry brookie fishing on "broken snowshoe" lake.

we left sault ste. marie around 5:30 a.m. and begun driving up highway 17 north. around 7:30 we arrived at where our hike would begin. our route was supposed to skirt along an old birch grown in logging road about 4.5 km into the backcountry. needless to say, these old trails can be a nightmare to walk on...folded over yellow birch and places where cedars have grown in...

anwho, it took us almost 4 hours to get in by the time all was said and done.

by 11:30 we had our holes in. we caught decent fish all day. avg size was about 15 inches although we got a few that were just under and just over 17 inches. took a few nice eaters home.

nearing three o clock we knew we were running out of time so a buddy of mine and i went to another spot down the lake. within seconds of putting down his line in his first hole his small jig was picked up and the fight was on. the fish came up as far as the bottom of the hole then bolted under the ice. the fish pulled drag for what seemed like an eternity (likely about 20 seconds) then got off. he reeled up expecting to find his line broken but instead found that the fish had actually straightened out his hook. musta been a real bruiser!

anywho, we caught about 15 fish, lost a definite trophy, and got lots of exercise.

(it only took 2 hours on the way out thankfully)...

gonna get back up there on saturday to a reported trophy brook trout lake so hopefully we'll have some great pics. here's three fish i kept due to them being hooked badly. fish that could be released were put back down the hole as quickly as possible.

post-4477-1235065361_thumb.jpg

a good session for sure.

Wouldve been nice to see the ol' hook straightener on the ice.

This weekend should prove to be an epic journey. Cant wait til you and winger argue about how to gps.

On another note I just got another route mapped at western. that different topo software they have shows some different trails than topo canada and toporama....plus I got the "must have" lure tip.

SPECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your gettin my mojo crankin here! good report the few kept are nice lookin

i'll be makin a snoshoe hike into a speck lake tomorrow and this is just gonna make sleeping even harder tonight

also i thought i was the only one with a wooden engineers rule (the tape in the pics)

thanks for sharing doc.

Matt!

Hey there! Nice to hear from a local, and some awesome looking fish you got there, never did much LSPP fishing, would like to in the future tho! What do you guy's get those beauts on? Did you's ever try Mc Gregor??

Does the trophy lake start with an M ... end with an N and have a Q in the middle??? There are so many huge Specks in that park. Still think Mijin has trophy's in it although I've yet to catch one. I'll be in the Sault Mar 21 to 29th....I'm really hoping for safe ice, I'm going to visit a trophy lake every day I'm up there in hope of a new personal best.

i know the name of that lake which starts with an M, ends with a N and has a Q in the middle but i wont tell anyone. we should still have a ton of ice but things might start getting slushy and a little tougher going if your walking up in the park or you dont have a decent sled for powder/slush. we should be fishing into april this year. good luck out there and i hope to see a pic of that trophy on here.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Does the trophy lake start with an M ... end with an N and have a Q in the middle??? There are so many huge Specks in that park. Still think Mijin has trophy's in it although I've yet to catch one. I'll be in the Sault Mar 21 to 29th....I'm really hoping for safe ice, I'm going to visit a trophy lake every day I'm up there in hope of a new personal best.

I know the lake of which you speak...but that's not where we were. Troutologist knows all about'er too.

Here's some "M ... end with an N and have a Q in the middle" delights from the last time I was there

8f6dc8e9.jpg

c52ac618.jpg

6b1dbb5d.jpg

44b2ceb1.jpg

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i forgot all about the lost stringer.

that and colin leaving his fishing rod back at the campsite, thus having to fish with an alder branch with line wrapped around the tip.

good times.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I know the lake of which you speak...but that's not where we were. Troutologist knows all about'er too.

Here's some "M ... end with an N and have a Q in the middle" delights from the last time I was there

Yeah that would be the lake lol. Big specks like that is the reason I miss living up there but it makes it that much better the couple times a year I get up for a visit.

That creek portage is fun huh? At the end of the next portage (2km) off the lake you were camping on is a killer speck lake. Nothing big but non stop action but I'm sure you guys are well aware of that. Would love to hook up with you guys if any of you are heading out while I'm up there.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Never been past M, but we fish a few ponds like you speak of. Nothing big, but we've definitely had some 20-30 fish days.

One pond we fish in summer, we don't even bring a canoe into...We just hike into it and fish from shore. We once caught 8 fish around 13 inches in 20 minutes and had to turn around and walk out because we were out of worms. hahaha

I love the park.

When are you headed up that way again pope?

I'm in peterborough myself but I hope to get up there again in the next few weeks.

Here are some fish from that pond i speak of..Shore fishin at its finest.

Typical small lake fish.

jawsbrookie.jpg

jawsbrookie2.jpg

A limit in 20 minutes?

jawsbrookies.jpg

I'm going to be there Mar 22 to 28th. All those awesome pics are making me very antsy to get up there. You guys catch some awesome fish.

On Sat the 14th I'm driving to Sudbury to drop my kids with there Aunt and I'm going to fish somewhere between here and there on Sunday . Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of a decent speck lake between toronto and sudbury. Preferably walk in because I don't want to drag the sled there and back. I don't mind driving out of my way a bit if need be.