Any Talk of Ontario Lakes Banning Two Strokes

GeorgeJ

I'm in the market for a small outboard and have read about lakes in the US that have banned two stroke motors. Has anyone heard of any chance we will see this for Ontario lakes in the future. If this be the case maybe I would pay the extra for a four stroke now.

Have been running a 175 E-TEC for the last 4 summers. Great engine in my opinion. Lighter and better on fuel than my previous 130 Honda not to mention the extra 45 HP . Less emissions too. I would buy another one, it's been trouble free.

I have heard nothing of banning them.

Yes Lunker, they are a 2 stroke.

Edited by Bernie

E-Tecs are 2 strokes ,but they meet the required Emissions EPA crap so they can run them ,the V6 Etecs are good solid engines the rest of the E tec line up well thats for another post ,I Sold my E Tec last fall ,will I buy another, NEVER ,my next chunk of boat cash will go towards a Modern day 4 stroke

Edited by North East Shark

who makes E-tec? Would they be allowed on a non two stroke lake?

Evinrude makes E-Tec. The Mercury Optimax are also two strokes that meet emission standards.

I think that is a hypothetical question since, to the best of my knowledge, there are no "non two stroke lakes".

E-Tec (and Optimax) motors may or may not be included in bans that may occur in the future. If a by-law was passed the specifically banned two strokes, then E-Tec & Optimax would be included in the ban because they are two stroke motors. However, it would be more logical to ban motors that do not meet emission standards, in which case E-Tech and Optimax would be okay because they do meet the standards.

I personally think it is unlikley that the old motors will ever be banned. It think it is more likely that standards will be set for new motors and the old ones will eventually find their way to the scrap yard. It is more likely that you will see lakes that ban gas motors outright but allow electric motors. I think this is already happening in B.C.

Edited by JohnBacon

Some of the new technology we are starting to see on the two strokes is quite exciting. The new "stratified charged engines" are very fuel efficient and easily meet emmission standards. I am not sure if any of the marine manufacturers are incorporating the technology yet but they will be soon! I just had an introduction to a stratified engine on an ECHO chain saw and was VERY impressed with it! Banning two strokes isn't a solution, they do have many advantages over a 4 stroke in many applications.

Depends on the size of the motor you need. Evinrude hasn't used this technology in the smaller motors yet. 30 hp or less and you have either 2 stroke or 4 stroke as the only options. For the amount of gas you use in a smaller motor a 2 stroke is OK, just make sure the wind is from the bow. But then I have seen smoke coming from some 4 strokes as well, maybe there are some bad valves or piston rings on some motors. :dunno:

I don't think you will see a ban on 2 stroke motors.

There are, however, numerous bodies of water that have either total engine bans, and some with limits on the size of motor that one may use.

Yeah man - my favorite little bluegill lake has a total gas motor ban. Kind of sucks that I won't be able to fish it this year. My new boat has a 20 horse 4 stroke yamaha with power trim that's bolted on through the transom, so it's not comin' off for panfish. They won't even let you on the water if you have a motor bolted to your boat. :wallbash: I said I'd leave my gas tank at home but apparently the motor might "spill gas or oil" into the lake...come ooooonnnnn! oh well.

Sorry guys but my personal opinion is that they should have started the ban slowly years ago,,four stokes are far better for the environment!!

Especially when it comes to the older motors!

Iknow it's not going to be a popular opinion considering the cost to boaters,,,but it's just one of many

Edited by sonny

Sorry guys but my personal opinion is that they should have started the ban slowly years ago,,four stokes are far better for the environment!!

Especially when it comes to the older motors!

Iknow it's not going to be a popular opinion considering the cost to boaters,,,but it's just one of many

Setting standards for new motors has a similar effect to slowly banning the old ones. The older motors will gradually find their way to the scrap head; than almost all motors will be four stroke or clean two strokes anyways. There won't be enough of the older two strokes to be concerned about.

Even a conventional two stroke from five or six years ago represents a huge improvement in polution controls over the motors from the sixties and seventies. There have been improvements in polution controls in the past. Unburned fuel is nw directed into the crankcase to be reburned. In the past in drained into the lake. The same logic that could be used to ban conventional two strokes today would have applied to the old two strokes of the sixties.