Line for Pike

HUKDONFAWNIX

12LB BERKELY BIG GAME(MONO)

LOL

Base line is Power pro 80 with a leader of 40 Floro clear.

Thats what they would all tell ya.

I tie direct to the 80 Power pro. Dont let them fool ya with that flor leader stuff. :dunno:

Edited by misfish

I've been using SpiderLine bulk spools of 10 lb mono and haven't had any probs with strength although after u take off 1,000 yrds on a 1,500 yrd spool it tends to have a fair amount of memory curl after that. Cheaper and it works although I haven't caught a pike on it over 13 lbs. :thumbsup_anim:

Don't have to go with real heavy line for Pike until u start fishing the heavy weed areas or around alot of structure where they'll run into and get wrapped up in.

:Gonefishing:

Edited by rockfish

I'd fish toe to toe all day using 12lb mono against braid any day for pike

12 lb mono is just too long of a fight for a good size wolf. 6lb and below ,,okay.

30 lb. stren super-braid is bullet proof enough for the mid -teens i argue with on the odd occasion.

a safe ,healthy and sure release is usually a certainty.

I have caught some decent ones on a lot of different pound test lines, by accident and on purpose. Good quality steel leader, or now florocarbon is probably more important to landing them.

My choice would be 17-20 pound stren on a bait caster, but I have landed 36 to 40 inchers on a spinning reel with 14 pound test Stren.

Had a lot of decent pike with more weight in weeds tangled on them and the line than the fish weighed.

Didn`t use braid at the time but it makes sense.

Get some braid at least 60lb. It cuts of weeds like a razor and you can crank down the drag in the thick stuff. you will loose less big fish. I like Power Pro...but to each his own.

With heavy braid and a reel with a good drag, you need to consider the breaking strength of the leader as well.

As far as leaders go, if you are in trouphy waters a good black steel leader...single strand or braided is my go too. 12 inches. If you are using floro for tropohies at the VERY least 80lb. I'd personally say 100. I've seen 40+ inch northens cut 80lb. The crimp didnt slip of....the teeth cut it.

Braided line you can use for several seasons. if you are using a baitcaster, it can make for some AMAZING birds nests. It's harder to untangle then mono. That might be a consideration for you.

Also use a good knot like palomer if you dont use it already. manditory for braid in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

Line isn't the main thing you should be worried about for Pike.. you can use 50 pound braid, or 8 pound mono.. as long as you have a good drag system on your spinning real, that isn't your main concern. However, you should probably purchase some wire leaders, or some fluorocarbon leaders from your nearest tackle store, because Nothern Pike have lots of sharp teeth, and if you arent using a leader above 30 pounds, you're going to have some bite offs. In today's economy, nobody wants to be loosing expensive fishing lures.. so buy some leaders, dont worry too much about your line, and just go fishing!

you're gonna wish you have something more than 12lb mono if you tangle with a fish over 40"

however, if all you're catching are snot rockets less than 8-10lbs than it'll be jsut fine. steel leaders a must.

i use 30lb braid + wire leaders on my spinning pike rod. back when i used mono, 17lb on a baitcaster.

If you are casting and know you'll be in an area with pike up to 20lb:

30lb braid

60-80lb. flouro leader (wire is o.k. too)

Using anything less then 20lb. line on a big fish is too risky for both parties.

I've lost enough to know.

Of course you can bring in a fish on light line but a heavier line protects you (and the FISH).

You'll reduce play time. heavier line prevents rock, wood, ice abrasion and critter cut-offs.

You will be able to lift the fish up a little/lot better.

Always use a leader. Pikes teeth will cut through braid.

Yep, if u are just fishin areas with alot of snot rockets (like I usually do, lol) and not the big lakes, 10-12 mono is usually sufficient but u will want to go with tough braid in areas that u know can hold some monsters. Leaders are also always a must, steel or heavy flouro. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by rockfish

I guided for 3 years near Ear Falls and all I used was 50lb power pro with a titanium leader. I caught more pike in a summer then most people do a in a life time, 50lb is plenty strong, I casted large baits and no break offs landed many pike over 40 inchs. The heavier the line you go the harder it will be to cast. For spininng reels you should run the same diameter line you would in mono or the line will not sit on the spool well. 30 lb power pro on a spinning reel would be fine with a good leader. Make sure you using a rod that can handle that heavy of line also, if the rod is to light, heavy line alone will not get a big fish out of the weeds.

You can go with 12lb mono or some kind of braid but the leader is an absolute necessity.

And make sure if you are using lighter line that your drag is up to snuff. Pike can give a drag a real good workout.

I use 80lb Fluoro that I tie myself.