temagami and area

Terry

I am going there again and if I don't catch a fish I am going to be someones "female dog", so I have been told

I have never fished for walleye up north in the winter, I don't need your spot, but what type of areas do you fish

shallow / deep , humps / shorelines, any time of day or just low light conditions

on a lake up that way what do you look for

where do you start

just general info would do

but the way I have been fishing, waypoints and detailed maps may not be enough to get me a fish up there....

.....I guess, what do you use would be helpful too....

the 5 yrs of ice fishing Temagami we were rewarded last year with our first taste of pickeral, since we usually target lakers .. perhaps we never were out at the right time for pickeral, last year we caught our pickeral in about 25ft of water just off one of the islands , using a jig and minnow, i think the tme was critical as it was just before dark , the weather was crappy as well as it was pouring rain , i think we would have stayed longer but we were soaked ... the next day it was -10 again

Hey Terry,

We're catching all our walleye in 20-40 FOW at this time of the winter. I recall a temagami report from earlier this season where the OP said they got their walleye from 40'. Not long from now, however, the walleye will start to relate to shallower structure as they migrate towards spawning areas.

I'd look for main points that extend into a basin (say 50' or deeper) and work the point in all depths looking for fish. Same goes if you can find a reef with deep water close by. Buckshot rattle spoons tipped with a minnow are a great search bait for walleye through the ice. Quick to get down to bottom, easy to fish and best of all, walleye love em.

I'm far from a temagami expert though - I've only ever fished bass up there in the summer.

Good luck.

Hey Terry.

Temagami itself is particular to first and last light for walleye. Not many during the mid day, but it does happen on occasion.. I am currently fishing (and always have) between 35-60 FOW. Look for these kinds of shoals and structure that provide a sharp change in depth. They are hitting both jigs (I use nothing but silver and blue Williams for everything) and still lines (pickeral rig with good hooks, not those cheap ones) They are not pre spawn aggressive yet, but they are taking it hard and soft. Soon they will bulk up for spawn and nail a bait hard(as far as walleye are concerned).

Other lakes such as Cassells, Net, Rabbit are a bit different as far as time of day. These lakes can provide a bit more walleye action during mid day, but theres nicer walleye in Temagami.

The trout are bitting good right now. Better than the walleye, but at least it can keep you on your toes prior to the feeding frenzy's that can occur. Also, the bite may only go for 3/4 to 1 hour. Thats when I pack up and go home to clean em.

JTF

I was gonna say... maybe Joey can give you some pointers Bud ! First time to the lake and all.... and going multi species last week! lol

Malcom... close to town,,,, but we'll be travelling the whole NEArm by sled.. maybe even up the North Arm to some speck lakes etc.

Now now Terry, what are we going to do with you?????? Well now that your looking for outside help i think if you dont catch a fish this trip we will have to do a big post on you lol. I have never had a friend i enjoyed ribbing as mush as you lol Its all in fun and your a great sport about it all. I do hope you cath a fish this trip lol If i was a betting man i think its safe to say you will be the water boy and dish boy every night. Deal is lowest score hauls water and cleans dishes. I have a new pair of rubber gloves for you and a nice pink dish cloth for you. Oh ya and lots of room for pics on my cam so we can show the boys how good a job you do lol lol :clapping: