Aluminum Vs. Welded Steel Hull

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

Im just curious what everyones preference is ? I have a lead on a 16ft. Welded steel hull with trailer and motor for approx $2000.

up till now I have been looking for aluminum.... but the sound of welded steel kind of peaks my interested. Dont have to worrie about rivets coming lose. If for some reason there is a leak, you can alway weld a patch on it.

I guess the question is, what would you go with... aluminum or steel hull ?

I used to have a 14 footer steel boat, and also used to rent one alot and we brought our own motor and gas to get into a small lake when I lived up north

The one I had was a great stable little boat it was however pretty heavy compared to an aluminium, we ended up trading the steel boat for a tinner after a while as we only had the 9.9 to push it with and it was really sluggish with that..lol

The guy who Im buying it from bought it from a friend of his a year ago or so, and says he doesnt remember what size motor it is. he thinks its either a 18 or 25HP ... Im debating weather i should say keep the motor and Ill just buy a nice 30HP or something ?

Be cautious.I had a 15' steel and it was a great boat......but you needed a 25 or better to push it and don't even think of rowing it.Go for an aluminum if you are traillering,fishing etc.Go for a steel if you are moving equipment,building docks or running over beaver dams.

I wouldn't trade my steel 16' work boat for anything... but not because I use it to fish from. It's for hauling lumber... cement bags.. stone... moving stuff in and out from the island spring and fall etc. Sure wouldn't want it for drifting the weed beds, but we do use it some nights to troll the shoreline.

Remember.. steel RUSTS and right thru. I had to totally refurb this one with lots of welding and after 4 summers I've got to do the sides and edges below the water line again in the spring.... and I touched it up mid season year two as well.

boat2.jpg

But trust me (or should I say Leah)... you don't wanna ride in one on rough water !

temleahboat.jpg

Issue is lunker.. you can't lift it by yourself. I use a fork truck in the hangar to move it around. Fine I guess if it goes on the trailer nice etc but they don't cut water that good with a fairly flat bottom. I have a 25HP 4 stroke Honda on mine. Pushes it along very well when not loaded down. Just hard on anybody up front in anything over 1 footers.

Edited by irishfield

Issue is lunker.. you can't lift it by yourself. I use a fork truck in the hangar to move it around. Fine I guess if it goes on the trailer nice etc but they don't cut water that good with a fairly flat bottom. I have a 25HP 4 stroke Honda on mine. Pushes it along very well when not loaded down. Just hard on anybody up front in anything over 1 footers.

ya that totally reminds me of the ones we used to rent to fish Echo Lake we would bring our own motor and gas so we didn't have to haul a boat all the way, and the people who rented us the boat where a great ole couple who only charged us $10 for the whole day..dark..til dark

anyways we used to laugh all the time and flip for who was going to be the driver that day becasue even if there was a bit of chop on the water, the person in the fron always got totally soaked :lol:

Steel boat? It must be pretty old? I can remember fishing at Port Maitland at the mouth of the Grand with my father and there was a guy there renting steel rowboats. Man they were heavy! And they were old even then! No motor and rowing in a river current, that was work. The only other steel boat I have seen (other than Wayne's photo) is at LaSalle Park in Burlington when they put the docks in the marina in the spring and out in the fall. Like Wayne said, a good work boat.

some rental spots still have steel boats ( Pier 69 and Little lake) most likely cause they can take the abuse and no one would steal them.lol

Unless you can borrow waynes forklift and float trailer , look for a nice tinney.

TB

Edited by tinbanger

For small waters around Ontario I like my aluminum boat, but whenever I'm fishing BIG water I prefer my welded steel hull as I find it provides a much more stable casting platform, specially when the waves exceed 30'

Cnv0275.jpg

Actually, that picture is some of terry's handiwork that he did for me a couple years back, but I still think it's hilarious :thumbsup_anim:

Back to the original question though, we stayed at a camp up near Gowganda about 10 years back and they had steel boats on a bunch of back lakes that we had to portage to and they were just too darned heavy to move around, specially pushing them into the water and then dragging them back onto the beach, and they also rode terribly when we got into some waves, plus as mentioned earlier, you have to keep them painted or your gonna end up with rust.

Definetely go with the aluminum.

Edited by lew

oh definately have to keep them painted, the ones in my refference to Echo Lake where painted bright red and yellow :lol: we always called them the Ronald McDonald boats :lol: ,probably also a good detterrant for theft. The one we had was also pretty damn ugly..red and gray