It's Alive - 12" inch Perch

Leecher

i had those walleye we caught yesterday night . WHAO MAN!

GOLD IN MY MOUTH! :Gonefishing:

So what your saying is that you can't wait to go back for some eyes at St-Marie and get some more B)

Will have to do it again soon... that plan was a good one :thumbsup_anim::canadian::Gonefishing:

Golly,

I'm at a loss.

Call Stephen King for a new Pet Semetary Series

Or wake up Walt Disney to say:

You were right!

Screw cremation,

PERCH ZOMBIES RULE

(How much brain does it consume?)

Freeze me!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by SNAG

Just to see what would happen I threw him in my 30 gallon fish tank with my goldfish. 100% recovery. Kept him in there for about a month and was toying with releasing him,then I decided to finally fillet him up.

What were you feeding him to keep it in your tank?

Didn't feed him anything, but he might have been eating the flakes I was putting in for the goldfish.

Thanks for the info.... was thinking that minnows would of been an ingredient that it could not refuse... but yet again flakes probably provided some type of nutrient for it's survival in a contained environment.

This happened to me two weekends ago too with some Perch. I feel bad about the fish suffering out of the water, so wanted to ask what methods you guys use to humanely kill fish instantly.

The two I've used are the hard whack between the eyes or a knife straight into the brain.

Anyone know what method is the most humane?

There are fish that can actually breathe air. Siamese Fighting fish (Betas) gulp air at the surface. It's something to do with environmental adaptation. In nature they live in water that can be so silty it won't hold oxygen. That's why folks can keep 'em in non-aerated water.

JF

Happend to me this weekend...sort of?

We iced some perch caught aroun 9am...gave them the bat and on the ice they went.

Then I go to clean them at 6:30pm and they were still kicking, I was shocked to say the least.

Gave them the old bat again, and it was lights out...but the nerves were STILL going as I was cutting

Kinda gave me the willies LOL

Seriously though 9.5 hours out of water...they should have been toast.

I have never seen that with any other fish.

Could it be a perch specific thing?

Hey Leechman:

Interesting experience... I had a similar experience on Jan 30. Caught a few perch at Simcoe and brought them home to Toronto. They were iced between 2 - 3:30 pm and we got home about 8:30 pm. Just like you, I dumped them in the sink and went for a shower. I come back in the kitchen to find out that the wife had seen two of them moving & put them back in the bucket & filled it up with water. In 3-4 minutes both were alive & even looked well. Didin't have the heart to kill them, so we decided to let them be for the night & cleaned up the rest. We woke up to find both of them belly-up in the morning. I couldn't figure out why they had survived a good 6 hours out of water & died in the bucket. Chlorine, maybe?? I wonder.

Os

The two I've used are the hard whack between the eyes or a knife straight into the brain.

Anyone know what method is the most humane?

I guess when we've gored the poor fish with a sharp hook through its mouth & dragged it kicking & fighting for its life out of the water, any method would do. If I was out to be humane, I'd net the fish (as opposed to hooking), pull it gently to the surface, take a picture & gently let it back in the water...

Os

Seriously though 9.5 hours out of water...they should have been toast.

I have never seen that with any other fish.

Could it be a perch specific thing?

That's what I thought too.... toast, but this one just came back to life for some unknown reason. Like I said before, this happened 2 times before and one of them was a walleye :dunno:

I couldn't figure out why they had survived a good 6 hours out of water & died in the bucket. Chlorine, maybe?? I wonder.

Os

:dunno: either... most likely chlorine and other chemicals found in our city tap water

I guess nobody read the link Spiel supplied..... states of fish being frozen right into the lake ice.. and surviving until it thaws again.

Yes Wayne I read that.... amazing isn't it!! I think when I put it in the tub and aim the water flow from the faucet directly into the gill area caused a reaction that brought it back to life.... just like jump starting it LOL

We woke up to find both of them belly-up in the morning. I couldn't figure out why they had survived a good 6 hours out of water & died in the bucket. Chlorine, maybe?? I wonder.

If the water wasn't aerated then they could have died from a lack of oxygen. A bucket doesn't hold that much water and whatever amount of oxygen was in the tap water would be quickly consumed. An aquarium air pump with an airstone or an airpump for a minnow bucket may have helped them survive.

The chlorine in the tap water also may have been the final blow but likely lack of oxygen did them in :dunno: Don't forget that when they were frozen or partly froze their metabolism was slowed right down to a deep sleep hibernation and this is why they recovered when warmed from the tap water, hypothermia? I'm just guessing :dunno:

Hey Leechman:

Interesting experience... I had a similar experience on Jan 30. Caught a few perch at Simcoe and brought them home to Toronto. They were iced between 2 - 3:30 pm and we got home about 8:30 pm. Just like you, I dumped them in the sink and went for a shower. I come back in the kitchen to find out that the wife had seen two of them moving & put them back in the bucket & filled it up with water. In 3-4 minutes both were alive & even looked well. Didin't have the heart to kill them, so we decided to let them be for the night & cleaned up the rest. We woke up to find both of them belly-up in the morning. I couldn't figure out why they had survived a good 6 hours out of water & died in the bucket. Chlorine, maybe?? I wonder.

Os

Rising temperature was one of the reasons. Temperature shock killed those two fish. If you leave fish in the fridge or outside, they may not die. It works about 70% of time.