Attention Orillia Members NF

JohnF

I'm gonna be working in Orillia for a few weeks in March and need some recommendations for a decent hotel, preferably with good restaurant services in or close to the place. My work location will be on Progress Dr. so it would be great to be in that neighbourhood. Any help much appreciated. I'll buy the beers some night.

JF

You will be more then comfortable with the comfort inn . Nice wake up call and a place to have a fresh toasted bagle or muffin with yer coffee. Included in the cost.

What ever you do,do not pass up on this place.

Best food for the dollar you will ever have. TRUST ME.

http://www.mariposamarket.ca/

Edited by misfish

You will be more then comfortable with the comfort inn . Nice wake up call and a place to have a fresh toasted bagle or muffin with yer coffee. Included in the cost.

That was the one I was kinda leaning toward. Any good bars in the neighbourhood? Not that I drink a lot but I may have folks dropping by to say hello, I hope.

JF

That was the one I was kinda leaning toward. Any good bars in the neighbourhood? Not that I drink a lot but I may have folks dropping by to say hello, I hope.

JF

As far as I remember(and that was over 2 yrs. ago), the Comfort Inn was on the east side of Memorial Ave,, south of hwy. 12, right across from Progress Drive. And, a Tim Horton's is also right on the corner on the south side of hwy. 12 on the west side, same side as Progress Dr. BTW, Progress Drive is an industrial park.

If you need any on the spot welding done, continue down(south) Memorial Ave., until you see a candle factory on your right, then turn left(it's either Patterson Rd., or Forest Home Rd),. Old Tyme welding, is just to the right soon as you turn off. Jim is the owner(I referred to him as Indian Larry with my workmates when I was down there, :lol: , he does have a resemblence without the tattoos, but please don't tell him that), he came through for us on a moments notice. Super nice guy that I ran into(go figger, in the Timmies near Progress Drive) a couple of times.

As far as bars go, never actually really sought them out. We had a suite in Heritage Place, which also houses the City Council. Our local University, Lakehead University has a satellite campus there.

Right across the street was Caddyshack's, at the NW corner of Colborne St. W, and West St. S. Had a meet and greet with Maureen(motv8tr) there. Parking is an issue in Orillia, Mo had to park to the east over a block away. We ate there a lot because it was so close, and it was good eats also. The girls working there were superb. I got a free meal from them without management's permission because I figured out how to reset one of their plasma displays so it was not in zoom mode(it had been in that mode for 2 months because the manager set it that way, and nobody could figger out how to put it back into normal display mode, took me 5 minutes). But beware, its not "health food", but it is tasty.|It's a bar, and the guy that runs the Radio Shack in the mall north of hwy. 11 also shows up there once a week for Karaoke and other entertainment purposes. One place we went to eat a couple of times, and I cannot remember the name now, was a Chinese buffet place. It was down either Coldwater St. E, or Mississagua St. E. toward lake Couchiching. If memory works, it was down Coldwater. But if you drive down Mississagua, and you reach the end, if the place is not on your left, turn left, and go to the next st. It should be right there.

I posted this a couple of years ago, and the comments about Tim Horton's locations in Orillia are bang on, :lol:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_zyuo0W2o

Give Theo's a try. It is a great restaurant right on the main drive in amongst the chains. I'll second the vote for Mariposa Market downtown as well.

That Mariposa Market is the bomb as far as feeding every need you want or have John.As far as food goes. Be sure to hit the basement aswell. MANY TREATS TO TAKE HOME.

Please grab a tray of the apple cameral coffee cake ,to take home to the mrs. You wont regret it. :angel:;)

(I referred to him as Indian Larry with my workmates when I was down there, :lol: , he does have a resemblence without the tattoos, but please don't tell him that),

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_zyuo0W2o

Not likely to need any welding done as I'm just teaching a real estate course. And I'm sure he doesn't want to be compared to Indian Larry. Seems to me I heard he'd died a while back. He was a pretty wild looking individual.

JF

Won't gp wrong here.

Mariposa inn...formerly Keewadin Inn

Stayed here many times but not in the last couple of years since it became a Best Western. Used to be reasonble and would give a deal if pressured. But with the big chain in there now who knows?

As said the Highwayman is decent too.

Because of location it's a tossup between the Comfort Inn and the Best Western Mariposa. I should be able to walk to work every day from either, and I understand there's a Timmies handy. Life is good.

JF

Any good bars in the neighbourhood? Not that I drink a lot but I may have folks dropping by to say hello, I hope.

JF

I gave up that nasty habit many moons ago ...but I always thought the Atherly Arms on the east side of the bridge over the narrows looked interesting :rolleyes:

Last time we drove by, it looked like it was closed but I'm sure some on here can confirm... :dunno: