O/T Machinist or mechanics

OhioFisherman

Tried to get a bolt out on the wood burner door(cast iron), bolt broke off in the door. Soaked it in PB Blaster penetrating lube for a couple days, drilled thru the bolt with the drill press, lubed again with penetrating oil. inserted ez-out and broke that rascal off in the bolt.

Looking for a plan B, ez-out is from Mac tools and I am guessing a special temper or hardness? Never tried to drill thru one before. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry, I would be just as flummoxed as you with that problem. Can you leave things as is, and drill and tap another hole? Can you try another ez out from the other side? I dunno.

Edited by douG

doug the bolts hold on a metal frame that holds the widows in place, the frames were falling apart so for safety I decided to replace them. Bolt is on a cast tapered boss on the door, 1/4 - 20 bolt and the boss in only about 1/2 inch square.

A project for the summer I let go too long, but I have to work when I got an extra set of legs around to do the walking for me.

Might have to look for a carbide end mill to clamp in the drill press to cut through thru the ez-out. Worst come to worst there is a welding shop on the circle here that might have a plan.

Never broke one before so I am fishing for ideas. Bolt doesn`t go thru.

You are gonna have a fight on your hands drilling thru an EZ out.Very hard..and brittle.If you do get it drilled and another ez out in try heating it up before removing.Sometimes you can heat the metal aroung the bolt and touch some candle wax to the bolt.the heat will (hopefully )draw the wax in and lube the extraction.Good luck,

Joe

Figured it wasn`t going to be an easy battle when I heard the snap Joe. Just using a 1/4 inch socket wrench on it, never had one break before, I am always real careful using them. Don`t think it was cold enough here to affect the metal.

Bolt wasn`t bottomed out in the boss, I could feel when the drill reached the end of the bolt and put PB Blaster in the hole.

Don`t put PB Blaster in a plastic cup it will eat it up! Can wouldn`t spray so I poked a hole in it and drained it in the cup, about 5 minutes and it fell apart.

I do have some real small drills maybe I can drill around the ez-out but then? Wax may help?

LOL Glen certainly looks that way now! LOL Brian have to get the wife to take off the wedding ring and glue them rocks to a bit?

Never had this much of a problem with a bolt, but I usually don`t let them sit in a fire for 19 years, heating and cooling in the wood burner may have drawn the temper out of them? Maybe just cheap bolts, when you start busting them off with a 1/4 inch rachet?

LOL Brian have to get the wife to take off the wedding ring and glue them rocks to a bit?

No sir.

If you can ge to a machine shop supplier Paul,you will find what I mention. Harden steel is a be atch,but can be drilled with a diamond bit. Thier not expensive.But then agian,whats yer stove worth to ya?

BTW,once you have it drilled out,the rest is easy. I would recommend stianless or even better,a copper bolt and nut. Brass will do aswell.

How may diamonds on on that ring btw? LOL

Brian, a couple of machine tool suppliers in the area, will try to get out and look tomorrow. I have a pretty good selection of stainless bolts, if not one of the guys I used to compete against in Bass tournaments runs one of the supply shops, a good dude.

LOL diamonds on a wedding ring? Never enough! Them little rocks will buy a lot of tackle but wimmins just ain`t practical.

LOL Whitespinnerbait, doors lift off the stove, easy to replace door. it might come to that, if they still have parts in stock for an old stove.

doors lift off the stove

You never said that in yer first post Paul.Well then. Just put one of them fancy wood/fire place screen spark catchers things in front of it.

Them little rocks will buy a lot of tackle

AMEN BROTHER,what were we thinking eh? Never mind,I know. LOL

go to machine shop supply, ask about a keen sert kit, it will be a drill, nf tap and a 1/4 x 20 keensert.

they will have a chart and will walk you through the process, use heat to get broken tap and e/z removed.

Ok you broke a 1/4 20 bolt in the cast iron stove, drilled it and tried an easy out that snapped. Disc grind the bolt ez out flat, center pop it, take a small masonry drill, sharpen it like you would a high speed drill bit and drill into the bolt get another ez out try again. Or go to a machine shop and have them carbide it out and re tap for you, unfortunately cast iron,steel bolts and heat=worlds best loctite.