For those with GPS who use maps

Cudz

I am looking for the best maps for the areas that I fish. I fish mainly Simcoe but do wander North into Muskoka, and all the way to Nipissing at times. I would also fish parts of kawarthas and Georgian bay as well. Is there a map that includes all these areas? If so which do you recommend? My gps can support navionics, lawrance or pretty much any other sd card.

What is the best price? I have seen some for as much as $200 and others for as little as $99

I guess copying the maps from another card would be illegal correct?

you are going to want http://navionics.com charts. go to the site and have a look which particular ones work in your model of gps unit. if it can handle the gold maps, the great lakes map should cover you for everything but muskoka and nippissing as I believe the trent-severn is included on the great lakes. either way, have a look at the site.

more importantly, to the best of my knowledge with navionics, impossible.

you can download all kinds of GPS software off the net and use various programs to transfer this software onto your SD cards in your GPS. no its not legal, yes its free :whistling:

my buddy got the topo maps, city navigator, metro guide, and marine maps for his garmin off the net. cant really blame him considering thats likely over $400 worth of maps he got.

I looked on the website and that hotmaps premium of Canada covers pretty much all of Canada!!

The Hotmap will work well for you on 99% of Lake Nippissing, but just be aware that it only covers as far west as Hwy 64, and then goes blank.........at least on my 2007 version.

I found the best price for the Hotmap was BPS and for my Gold Chart, West Marine in Toronto offered the cheapest price but again that was 2 years ago, so you could possibly find a better price somewhere else now.

If you act quickly you can get the Canada Navionics 2008 Premium HotMaps chip for only $99 while they last at Cabela's and other places. Here's Cabela's site with the 2008 edition on SALE. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can click on what lakes are included in each card.

I purchased the card for Canada in the fall when Cabela's had them on sale for $129 and Navionics had a $50 rebate going on but that ended December 31st. However, I don't see the 2009 card having any more lakes in Canada or at least where I will be fishing so the 2008 card for $99 is the best deal out there.

One other thing, if the lake you fish is highlighted it will be in High Definition (HD) (in red) that map has the MOST info you can get on that lake with contours down to 1 foot and includes MANY areas marked like marinas etc.....

Bob

I think for overall coverage in Ontario, The Navionics Gold+ map can't be beat. We picked that up for our Eagle Intellimap 500C Chartplotter and it's been awesome...

(I dunno if it's helped catch anymore fish, but it's fun to look at!! lol)

I might add, that it's extremely accurate. I know some people have had issue with the HotMap chips being off quite a bit.

Edited by BillM

Guest skeeter99
I am looking for the best maps for the areas that I fish. I fish mainly Simcoe but do wander North into Muskoka, and all the way to Nipissing at times. I would also fish parts of kawarthas and Georgian bay as well. Is there a map that includes all these areas? If so which do you recommend? My gps can support navionics, lawrance or pretty much any other sd card.

What is the best price? I have seen some for as much as $200 and others for as little as $99

get the hotmaps 2008 for canada dont buy the 2009 hotmaps it only added 2 ontario maps from the 2008 version

Erie-Eastern Basin (Sturgeon Point to Point Abino)* Erie

Erie-Western Basin, Sandusky, Central Basin

they are $149 at basspro regular but are on sale for $99 at cabelas

or

the gold xl9 card for east great lakes

or

if buying a lowrance unit the maps they provide are good and lots of little lakes you did not know were there, only drawback is that there is not depth reading on the map but it shows lakes and lots of creeks as such

here is the link to the hotymaps on navionics site the 09 maps with a * are on the 08 card alot of lakes were added to b.c. if you live there

http://navionics.com/Premium09LakeList.asp?RegionID=5

Edited by skeeter99