Are these legal?

BigWilly

Why would't it be part of your lure... you're not lighting your hut with it are you? LOL

Is it not a lure body.. or is it a slip float. Either way no different than the floats with the light on top.

LMAO!!

I've considered using them for Christmas Tree ornaments. :thumbsup_anim:

They're more of a slip float, although they don't float at all.

Here's the reg under definitions that I feel is in question:

Artificial Lure

An artificial lure means a spoon, plug, jig, artificial fly or other such device that is designed to catch fish by means of angling.

If you use it attached to your line above your real bait, as an attractor (which is what it's supposed to be), it's ILLEGAL.

If you put a split ring & baited hook on one end it then becomes a lure which would be LEGAL.

Lights in the water are not strictly legal or illegal, it all depends on the grey area of how you use them.

Attractors not directly part of a bait isn't kosher.

Is it not a lure body.. or is it a slip float. Either way no different than the floats with the light on top.

If it was a slip float the light would be on top of the water....is this why the COs visit you so often IF? :P

The device is not legal. You can try and dress it up like a lure put your real lure lower on the line and say it is legal, then the CO can say you are full of it and send you to court for the day.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Llet me ask this of the OP. What is the item being used for? Be honest and your chances of there being trouble are all but zero.

If you think fish might be attracted to the light and go for your lure then it is illegal.

If you think it might attract smaller baitfish it is illegal.

If you intend that the fish bite down on it then it is legal.

If is the only lure on your line it is legal.

Act honestly and you won't have a problem explaining to a CO or judge (if you don't convince the CO).

If you want to be extra cautious (that is what I would do) make it the only lure on your line.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Although whether or not it is legal is a matter of concern, I'd be more curious to find out whether or not it actually helps catch more fish. I suspect it does not.

We've all heard of people breaking the regs to gain various advantages. People choose to fish out of season, or use multiple lines, or traphooks or whatever because those acts generally put more fish in the boat...but have you ever heard of people using an underwater light as an attractor and increasing their catch as a result? I have not. If it worked, you could be sure a bunch of boneheads would be doing it.

If it was a slip float the light would be on top of the water....is this why the COs visit you so often IF? :P

The device is not legal. You can try and dress it up like a lure put your real lure lower on the line and say it is legal, then the CO can say you are full of it and send you to court for the day.

forrest

We can argue all day about it Forrest. Not that you'd ever do that ! lol Doesn't matter what any of us think legal or illegal .... I'll wait for his MNR reply... but I'll also put $50 bucks on it that they say it's legal. You in?

Use of artificial light to attract fish was written to stop people from using spot lights into the water to do so.. not a glow jig, lighted jig, spinner, float etc. A "lure" can be anything you've got below the water for angling. Remember you can take 4 hooks..... ANY combination of spinners trinkets and toys to make up said lure. It could be 20 feet long.

Edited by irishfield

Use of artificial light to attract fish was written to stop people from using spot lights into the water to do so..

I spend ALOT of time fishing late at night and wear a headlamp that throws a pretty strong beam of light into the water, and have wondered if some over zealous CO has ever tried to flaunt his authority and tried to charge someone with using them to attract fish ??

My bud was fishing late at night a couple years ago and was way off the channel in the thick reeds and the CO's were working a late shift and saw his headlamp and came right in after him. They weren't concerned about his lamp and were only checking licenses, but it shows they do sometimes work after dark.

I know back in the day when we used to fish for smelts in Lake Ontario after dark, we'd hang a Coleman lantern off the pier and it'd attract the smelts like bees to honey.

I agree with Irishfield-can be used legally;

would I buy one...no,because I would have no confidence in it;

use one-perhaps if I'd already thrown the tackle box at them and had no luck on anything else or my fishing partner was using them and was being successful and I wasn't... :whistling:

Use of artificial light to attract fish was written to stop people from using spot lights into the water to do so.. not a glow jig, lighted jig, spinner, float etc. A "lure" can be anything you've got below the water for angling. Remember you can take 4 hooks..... ANY combination of spinners trinkets and toys to make up said lure. It could be 20 feet long.

TSOF may have the right idea...who cares, the thing won't work.

The OP has never stated what the intended (honest) function of the device is. A baseball bat is just a baseball bat when it is being carried down the street unless you tell a cop it is for protection; then it is a criminal (?) charge too.

For ice fishing the OP (or CO) could be thinking:

This light is a small generally stationary light source, submerged under the water for the purpose of attracting fish to a specific area for the purpose of angling.

Like you said, lets see what the MNR states,

Lets see what the OP states.

It would be surprise if MNR gave a statement of permission they could be held to.

Forrest

PS What is next? Telling the CO that a gaff is merely a boat safety device? How about a spear gun being a fishing rod with a mechanical launcher?

Edited by forrest