Popcorn and Perch

Jen

The boys, Steve and I arrived at Steves Fish Huts in Pefferlaw at 7:15am.

This would be the first time the boys have fished from an outfitters hut and they were very excited.

Our ride out to the hut! (Christian thought this was what we were going to be fishing out of)

Icefishingsimcoejan4005.jpg

We were all set up in a brand new hut and fishing by 7:45am, the boys were thrilled, we were getting bites. Small perch were going back, a couple of bigger ones for the bucket and then Christian said I have something big and he did... Steve was watching the fishfinder Icefishingsimcoejan4030.jpg

and told Zachary to bring his line up a bit, wham, he also had a fish on, both lines brought in Herring. There is no limit on these fish so they quickly got photographed and sent back...

Icefishingsimcoejan4013.jpg

Icefishingsimcoejan4017.jpg

It wasn't long before I had a herring on my line, the first squiggled out of my hands before Steve could grab a picture and the second almost did the same thing.

Icefishingsimcoejan4020.jpg

Icefishingsimcoejan4022.jpg

The huts are pretty accomodating so we decided it was popcorn break time... Jiffy Pop to the rescue

Icefishingsimcoejan4024.jpg

Icefishingsimcoejan4025.jpg

The outfitters crew came and checked on us several times, and just after lunch Zachary decided we should move to another hut...

Closer to shore ( to the first hut the outfitter put out this year... ) I think the ice cracking sounds were starting to make the kids a little nervous.

The fishing slowed after that, the boys played out on the ice a bit and at 4:00pm we got picked up to head home... Freezing rain had started to fall!

First Ice on Simcoe is always a treat, we kept what we would eat and let all other fish go.

Icefishingsimcoejan4037.jpg

Icefishingsimcoejan4039.jpg

Going ice fishing with an outfitter truly was perfect. We had an excellent day with the boys, on fish most of the day, with lots of quality time.

If you are heading up give Steve at Pefferlaw Fish Huts a call and I am sure he will get you out there.

Steve's Fish Huts (705)426-7800