wet truck!

BassAsin

so my summer job is putting out forest fires my fall job is hunting and my winter job is pulling trucks from the lake! one has already gone through lake nipissing and as far as i know the boss called today and heard of one more through lake temagami as for where on the lake and details he's not sure yet may just be a rumour but he's trying to find out more as i type!

Edited by BassAsin

Make Barry go down this time while you watch !!

Haven't heard on Temagami and talked with my neighbour this morning. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened! lol Bernie mentioned the dually that went down on Nip in a post yesteday.

truckdivers.gif

Edited by irishfield

Make Barry go down this time while you watch !!

Haven't heard on Temagami and talked with my neighbour this morning. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened! lol Bernie mentioned the dually that went down on Nip in a post yesteday.

did he also mention there was a plow on the one in nipissing? and that he was doin 30 mph? lol too quik made a wave in the ice and it fell apart as he got close to a pressure crack!

Yes Bernie stated Dually with plow!

Just can't get thru to people about the wave under the ice... and then they rag that the access is blown apart so early in the spring.. or how the hole suddenly opened in front of them.

Ice road on Temagami in 2005.. plowed 90 feet wide and I was almost run down by guys doing at least 100 KPH pulling a trailer no less.

18KPH is my speed to my dock.

Edited by irishfield

i remember doing about 45 kmh on the ice road a few years back with the ole' man in march of 3 feet of ice i wouldnt wanna do much more than that though! and if you type in bartlett's towing on google you can go to ice recovery part of the site and se just how we pull them out.

It's a car on Temagami.. to the bottom.. and I've got two stories so far.. they got out in the water and they got out just before it went down. So far I've been told it's "in front of my place"... but I don't know if that means cottage or the point of land I own further up the NE arm.

Edit..

Okay.. just my neighbour trying to raise my blood pressure... car went thru near Bear Island.. to the bottom... and it happened the very end of December because they ventured off the marked road to the island. Looks like you may be goin swimmin Matt... the lads are probably building a tripod as I type! lol This one won't be as easy as slapping the cable into a pintal hitch!

Edited by irishfield

It's a car on Temagami.. to the bottom.. and I've got two stories so far.. they got out in the water and they got out just before it went down. So far I've been told it's "in front of my place"... but I don't know if that means cottage or the point of land I own further up the NE arm.

Edit..

Okay.. just my neighbour trying to raise my blood pressure... car went thru near Bear Island.. to the bottom... and it happened the very end of December because they ventured off the marked road to the island. Looks like you may be goin swimmin Matt... the lads are probably building a tripod as I type! lol

by the sounds of it we may have the tender on that one... not 100% yet, off to do some hoisting and rigging training in a few minutes! to increase what i make above the ice, not crazy enough to go under!

Very cool site. I like the recoveries with the stories.

The billable (?) hours on one of those recovery pages was 295 hours!!! That was for a 4x4 frozen into the surface (is 296 a typo?).

Insurance covers this?

forrest

Edited by forrest

Very cool site. I like the recoveries with the stories.

The billable (?) hours on one of those recovery pages was 295 hours!!! That was for a 4x4 frozen into the surface (is 296 a typo?).

Insurance covers this?

forrest

no typo. was covered by insurance and it was 7 km from shore and we had to plow a road to it through 2 feet of snow anfter we checked ice depth with a drill and 4 wheeler the whole way out, 2 people had to spend the night to do "security" on all the equipment 2 full days with 6 people adds up quick.

Was a ford diesel pickup just out from Wades Landing.

was on that one for 4 straight days shoveling and making a rink building ice and assembled the extractor was not there for the actuall pull! had family matters to tend to on that day

The vehicle that went through on Temagami was a Kia SUV. The occupants were on their way home to Bear Island and pretty much went through a few hundred yards from their home in Flyers Bay. The vehicle is still on bottom, but the driver is getting an insurance settlement.

As for driving like an old lady on the lake, I sure would not want to go with you guys very far up the lake at 18km. I drive every day on the lake and have done so for years and years. Never had a wave pop up in front of me at shore. My speed is comparable to highway driving pretty much all the time. I drive a pick up not a 5 ton or a semi. You have been watching to much "Ice Road Truckers".

Proceed with caution is a good practice, but if there is over 12" you can relax a bit.

Welcome to OFC John.. good to have another on the lake for conditions and such to pester! lol I should have stipulated that 18KPH was in December when the ice was a bit thin and I only have 4 islands to go from the town dock. Driving across the ice at that time even caused the boat house we go by's tin to rattle. Sure we go a tad faster when things are thicker and there's a maintained road which insures pretty good ice but I always slow down well short of the access point. You may never see the wave.. but it does errode the ice from beneath.. which can be seen come spring when the only thing blown apart is the access area at town.. yet you can still drive off of the lake at Temagami Shores. Part of this, as well, could be salt coming off vehicles entering onto the lake of course

Last week I was fishing on another lake with about 10 inches of ice. Sleds travelling down the lake at high speed, a good 2000 feet from us, caused the water to rise up and down in our holes by an inch or so every time they flew by. If sleds can case that water movement.. 3500 to 6000 lb vehicles sure can as well.

no problem i'm in a few of those pics, the brains behind the scene more often then not though with the set up of the extractor

I just see this on Dirtiest Jobs on Discovery Channel. A Nissan SUV went through the ice in Minnesota where they said about 100 vehicles per year go through the ice.

The guy had designed a patented extractor he set up. They said they need at least 9 inches of ice to do it but by the time they got on the site the ice was 33 inches already. They cut two large triangle holes for the divers (one for emergency purposes) and then cut the large hole that the SUV was going to be extract from. Using air bags to raise the vehicle to the surface and then chaining it the to extractor and finally just using a come along to pull it SLOWLY to let the water run out until it raises onto the extractor just past half way up when the extractor tilts and the vehicle is completely out of the lake.

Neat way of doing it. But still as already mentioned a lot of labor.

The vehicle that went through on Temagami was a Kia SUV. The occupants were on their way home to Bear Island and pretty much went through a few hundred yards from their home in Flyers Bay. The vehicle is still on bottom, but the driver is getting an insurance settlement.

As for driving like an old lady on the lake, I sure would not want to go with you guys very far up the lake at 18km. I drive every day on the lake and have done so for years and years. Never had a wave pop up in front of me at shore. My speed is comparable to highway driving pretty much all the time. I drive a pick up not a 5 ton or a semi. You have been watching to much "Ice Road Truckers".

Proceed with caution is a good practice, but if there is over 12" you can relax a bit.

you can drive as fast as you like wether the wave is seen or not. all i know is that if u go through i make money to get it out :thumbsup_anim: its all a personal choice and i must say i pulled 3 half tons out that went through 18" of ice last year alone.

I just see this on Dirtiest Jobs on Discovery Channel. A Nissan SUV went through the ice in Minnesota where they said about 100 vehicles per year go through the ice.

The guy had designed a patented extractor he set up. They said they need at least 9 inches of ice to do it but by the time they got on the site the ice was 33 inches already. They cut two large triangle holes for the divers (one for emergency purposes) and then cut the large hole that the SUV was going to be extract from. Using air bags to raise the vehicle to the surface and then chaining it the to extractor and finally just using a come along to pull it SLOWLY to let the water run out until it raises onto the extractor just past half way up when the extractor tilts and the vehicle is completely out of the lake.

Neat way of doing it. But still as already mentioned a lot of labor.

i've seen it a few times as well. very clever idea on their behalf just a different style of extracting, we also use the air bags, quite the rig they are.

An urban Myth.. started by an insurance broker...

Read the fine print of your policy and see if it excludes coverage when not on an assumed road. They have done it in some sled and ATV policies... but I haven't seen it on, at least my, vehicle policies.

Apparently there is a new wrinkle with the labour board for bringing vehicles up. Diver must be not only commercially certified.. but there is a new CSA (or some similar) requirement to be registered. A few Temagami divers just found out the hard way that they can't help recover the Kia and could have been grandfathered if someone had of told them prior to 2005. Now they have to take more diving courses if they want to do this kind of work.

Matt.. your tow company divers my be in the same boat!

Also sounds like the Kia occupants were extremely lucky. They (3) got out UNDER water after it went to bottom in 18 FOW.

Edited by irishfield