anyone use an ice spud?

cram

Bought one for 15 bucks at Minden bait and tackle. Was able to drill some holes for my 8 year old and I to fish out of as we did not want to buy an auger. Cut through 7 - 10 inches of clear ice in 3-4 minutes.

As aothers say useful tool for opening and checking ice.

IMHO opinion 100 bucks is too much. You could buy a manual auger and a spud for that. Look at teh hardware stores. Up north I saw them for 20 - 30 dollars.

Make sure you wear the strap round your wrist.... :whistling:

as a kid of 12 -13 i wasnt allowed to use dads auger so in march my buddy rob and i chiseled through the 36-40" of ice there was no moving around to find the fish! 4 holes and no more!!! i also carry a thread together 3 piece chisel in the cab of my skidoo at ALL times just in case!

Spud bars definatly have their place, and i dont mind them at all. If you spend $100 on a spud bar i will personally arrive at your house and slap you up side the head LMAO. That is insane for spud bar. Just show up at any welding shop and ask them to throw one together. She be pretty damn cheap. Better yet do you have a firend who works in a welding shop or in the the roads department or something? They are easy to make, and there is usually lots of scrap around those places. My buddy's step dad made him a kick ass spub bar at work with a stanless steel blade on it.

The best part is you can make the hole any size you want. I would also advise to leave an inch of ice at the bottom of the hole, then expand it to the size you want before punching through. Whacking away at a hole full of water will get you're eye brows wet lol.

-Dave

Edited by Ramble On

If your looking for a primary source of putting holes in the ice, a spud isn't the way to go.

For first ice, or opening old holes, for sure, the best rig. I use one almost every trip. I'll drill my normal 8" hole, then widen the opening so it doesn't freeze as fast!

A must have item on new ice, or ice you haven't been on yet.

CT has them for like $20.

Its easy to get one made though, that's the way I'd go.

Sinker

We made our own, my brother the gas fitter supplied the pipe and my brother in law supplied a piece of steel and welding.

Sharpened it on a grinding wheel and set to go probaly no more than $10. We had lots used them to lift/chip out huts open holes etc.

You cant buy a spud bar better then the ones I make.

Good ol rebar and a leaf spring for the spud. Stays sharp and can take large chunks at a time.

I will spud up to 8 inches,if Im fishing lakers and whites,as not to many holes reallyb. But if I were perch,n,then a manual ager is my pref. Unles Im with Terry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just have to make sure I got an extra screw driver or two.LOL

Case of beer and a welding shop like ramble on said. My Father made mine. He welded up some stainless steel into a beauty spud bar and has fitted that nice thick orange industrial water hose around it so it is not so cold and slippery on the hands. Make sure they make a handle wide enough so if you chip thru and drop it, the handles will prevent it from going down the hole.