ice fishing st. johns Newfoundland???????

bigredfisher

hey , here i am at the airport waiting to fly to st.johns nefoundland for 4 months. i would love to get out fishing but have no clue about fishing or hot spots or anythig like that can can you please recomennd something for me i think i would go crazy without fishing for 4 months and i also have a little one on the way so i want toget as much fishig as i can in before he/she comes. oh and it dosent have to be ice fishing i reaaly dont care, just want to get out fishing. pms are ok tooo thanks bigredfisher

The trout season doesn't open until Jan 15th.....I think.....I know for sure its not open right now.

There are some fishing ops in the harbour. I'm not sure what you'd catch this time of year though......The river that runs out of Bowring park has some sea run brookies and browns in it. I know we used to catch them there in the late fall...close to the mouth. I'm not sure about now though. Giver a shot and let us know!!

You really need a car to get to anywhere thats decent, but any body of water will have specks in it there.

Sinker

Listen, I don't know if they've cleaned it up since I was there, but the harbour was their sewage system basically. It was just raw waste pumped straight in there from what I was told. I was laughed at when I suggested fishing the downtown harbour.

So as to what you'd catch, maybe ecoli, maybe something a little more of a trophy size. :asshat:

your going to Newfoundland for 4 months and you worry about fishing.......... THE WOMEN OUT NUMBER THE GUYS IN THE BARS 10 to 1 lots of time for all sorts of fishing and to answer your question just ask a local very friendly people VERY FRIENDLY

and i also have a little one on the way so i want to get as much fishig as i can in before he/she comes.

It is true about the very friendly women in the bars in Newfoundland, but I don't think he needs any more babies just yet... let him have this one first. :whistling:

Edited by jonnybass

I don't know about right now, but you could get flounder, rock cods, sculpin, seacats.....you just never know what will be in there really. I've seen humpback whales in that harbour....LOL. Petty harbour is another decent spot for fishing from shore.....not far from St. Johns.

Any pond on the island will have trout in it. Any ditch with water usually will too......your limited to trout though.

Sinker

so if i were to go to the harbour right now what would i use for bait, would i cast lures, jig, flyfish thanks oh and can you tell me where i could find a stocking sheet or the types of fish in the different ponds and regulations pretty funny i cannot for the life of me find the regulations thanks bigredfisher

I'm not sure about the salt water regs......its all changed since I was there last. When I lived there, there were NO regs on the saltwater shorefishing.

Fresh water is brookies only.......pretty much. I think the season opens mid jan for icefishing.

In the harbour, get some fresh chicken liver, put it on a hook, with some weight, and wait for something to bite. Usually, the first fish you catch is used for bait.

Talk to the locals....they'll tell ya everything you need to know. Very friendly people, always willing to help.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

I would not fish for anything in St.Johns Harbor. That thing is nasty! You might catch a very brown trout if you catch my drift! Besides, the locals will think you are a little daft!

Basically you need a car to fish any where near St.Johns. 3 pond barrons is a good spot, so is Pippy park! Be careful on the pond at Pippy park. It has some nasty springs that can make the ice weak in some areas in the winter time. Pippy park is in St.Johns and is located out by The Memorial University of Newfoundland. (AKA M.U.N.) Another spot is up on the road to Signal Hill. There is a pond there which is called Dead Mans Pond. There are fish in there, but the pond is very deep. Other then that, there is Buttercup park which is just outside the city and right on the Trans Canada. If you can get access to a car, there are tons of places to fish just outside the city limits. As for species, you are pretty much limited to trout. There is a variety of trouts species though, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout and Speckled Trout. For good sea fishing, Bay Bulls and Witless Bay have government docks (they are called Wharfs in Newfoundland) which you can fish for a ton of different varieties of ocean fish. Usually you can catch lots in hour or so. Just remember, if you catch a cod (it isnt unheard of) you have to throw it back! You can only catch those on family fishing days and you have to be a Newfy to keep it.

Oh ya...and beware of the salt water rabbits! They are vicious!

Good Luck!

Ab