Which 2 to 3 man ice fishing shelter????

Burtess

I am looking for a 2 to 3 man ice fishing shelter.

I need one that I can fit in the back of the minivan, one that I can pull out on the ice under human power (sled bottom?), one that is easy to set up in the wind, durable, etc. etc....

I generally fish small bodies of water, and don't travel too far.

Does not need to be cheap, but needs to be a good value for the $$...

Best place to purchase one?

Feel free to suggest models that I should stay away from also!

Thanks,

Burt :)

They say it weighs 135, plus once you get gear in it I'm sure its closer to 200lbs. Also once you get into more than a couple inches of snow it makes it even harder to pull. I purchased the hitch for it and pull it with my snowmobile.

I have a Fish Trap Yukon, It is THE BEST :thumbsup_anim:

Lots of room for 2 and ALL the gear, You sit up high so very easy on the back!!!

But if you are gonna pull by hand it is on the heavy side. unless very little snow.

I would go with the Fish Trap Guide for something lighter.

Rick

your looking for a clam guide,,perfect size and weight for what you need,,,i also have a shapell rover 2.0,,,which works really well for me,,,the only problem is that you have lots of room to bring stuff,,so ya do and then the weight starts to add up!

I would also recommend the 4 man Eastman Ice Cube. It is fast and easy to set up and travels well on your back. The sub-zero model is identical to the cube but re-named with Canadian Tires house brand. They are not easy to find as they sell out fast every year. Stay away from the 2 man unless you are fishing alone or with a very close friend. The only negative I can see so far is the lack of a floor. Not a big deal for me but might make a difference to some. Hope the picture I attached shows up. I don't have any of the interior but it is quite roomy.

P1000010.JPG

I have the 2-man Cube and Eskimo Quikflip 2 both are good and bad in their own way. When fishing on a known spot and I don't plan to move around too much the cube is fine. It's a pain in the butt to remain portable cause you have to screw anchors and tie straps to the ice so moving around is alot of work resetting up. It's light and easily carried and packs in the trunk of a car.

The Eskimo has a sled is heavier and I prefer it when the vehicle taken can fit it. Its very portable and is not anchored to the ice. When the bite slows you just have one person walk pulling the rope and the other walks inside(I'm 6'4 so I walk on the inside and use my shoulder to lift the front end up off the ice.) Works great if you are only moving a few yards at a time. Both will keep you out of the wind and with a small heater you'll be comfortable in both. If I was to buy again it would prolly be the same two huts, only bigger. Hope this helps. B)

101_0053.jpg

100_0621.jpg

I have a 2 man eskimo quick flip. Its good if there isn't too much snow, but brutal once there is more than say 6".....to pull by hand. Behind a machine, it makes no difference.

Its sets up in seconds, and is fairly portable.

A 2 man hut to pull by hand is a tough question to answer. Are you planning on having 2 guys in it all the time, or you just want more room for yourself? If I was to do it all again, I'd get a fishtrap pro. Its kinda like a 1.5 man hut, but is easy to pull around with all your gear.

Sinker

It will be for myself and a friend, or for when I take my 3 kids out, they can spend time inside warming up while I brave the elements lol...

Lots of positive words on the Cube, this may be more suited for the kids as well, and I do fish a Haliburton lake that is always over a foot of snow on it, this would eliminate the need to pull a sled. If the material etc. looks not too bad I may try this one.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!!

Well after 3 trips I am impressed with my Cabelas Excursion (Ice Cube Style). Very light, easy to set up and warm as heck with no heater. I've been out in 30k winds with it and have yet to need to anchor it. Anchored it last time I was out on one side just to be safe and the strap never moved.

we were out fishing last week with 2 clam 5600s and a subzero cube. we noticed that the cube takes quite a few more btus to heat opposed to the clams with the solid floor. we also noticed that they are good on slick ice but when there is alot of snow or water on the ice you in turn end up with cold wet feet. i would buy one of these cubes for very calm days or days i do not plan on moving much, but i prefer the clam 5600 for every day fishing!!!! just my 2 cents

we noticed that the cube takes quite a few more btus to heat opposed to the clams with the solid floor.

I just bought a Mr. Heater Buddy today as well so I will see how this does in it....

I may get a piece of astroturf to put on the ice if it is a problem when bare.