What do you use when fishing for white fish?

Fishing 24/7

iv ice fished for white fish once in my life!

we did manage to get 3 with small spoons...

any experienced white fish fisherman out there that can point me out some new tricks would be verry usefull

im going to fish for whities again this year and i want to try new things! :Gonefishing:

thank-you!

I caught a load off them on some ''mr champs '' little lures silver and the golden one to.

see you on the 31 mile lake bud. :whistling:

there bit more finicky then lAKERS I THINK THEY LIKE SMALLER LURES USELY..BUT CAN JUMP ON A WESRIVER SOMETIME.

JOCO

I use a williams wobbler,,,, williams whitefish ,,,, mr champ ,,,,sweedish pimple ,,,, jiggin raps ,,,, lots of people swear by bad boys jigs or any of that type of jig.... i jig with just a snap of the wrist lifting the jiging stick end about 6 inches at a time about 1 foot off bottom. .

p.s . i have only fished simcoe for whities and these all work great there

EDIT: i just seen your post about th pike and perch and that williams ice jig that has the sidehooks on it that you got the perch on will do the trick ! maybe 1 size bigger

Edited by richyb

Try a spreader with minnows on a tip up and jig a spoon or something else with another rod.

are those the things were you can put 3 minnows at once???

mr. champs.... never heard or seen this..... will work into getting some!

Edited by fishing 24/7

Fishing 24/7, here's a link to a post that covered a lot of stuff about whitefish a few months ago....hope it helps.

CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO WHITEFISH POST

Hope this helps.

Simon

WHAO this is EXTREME info man thanx ALOT!

anything that is small and shinny i supose!

those small tubes seem verry interesting too !

thanx alot everybody! :thumbsup_anim:

Kevin, I think you have one of those

IMGP1681.jpg

That is what richyb was talking about :D

Should be fine with that :thumbsup_anim:

That's the right lure ... and I use a Stick with 8 lb mono ! Pretty much it .. The BLUE EYED WILLIAMS ...for Trout !

And well I do ok ... I usually GIVE about 50 Blue Eyed Williams away every year to no learned fishermen an Ladies /Kids too .. Everybody catches fish on the NEW LURES ! !

lake simcoe whiteys, definitly 3 way spreader on tip up,another technique williams wobbler or other big shiny spoons, you take the bottom treble off add a 6-8 inch stinger with a treble with a pearl on it and tip it with a minnnow..also white tube jigs work well with the whiteys.works great...those are my techniques on simcoe catch lots of fish, also the badd boy jig tipped with minnow. The lakers i like to do a triple drop shot technique, i put a bell sinker on the bottom of the line and start the first hook up about 6 inches and the next hook 8-12 and inches and same for the next...i usually fish 50 - 90 feet...the long shoal line is killer for lakers but its a far hike out.

try it out lemme know if you have nay luck

later guys

Edited by edward skein

This is my meat set up. Just a light rod, 4lb test, small hooks, light weights. I can set it at any depth, and its brutally sensitive.

PC280021.jpg

My second rod is rigged with either a williams, or a badboy type jig. The williams always goes down first :)

Sinker

Williams ice jigs in both sizes. dont add a pearl or a dropper. just like it is out of the pack. 1/2&1/2 hammered is a killer.

its my go to lure. works great for both lakers and whities.

100_1088.jpg

gotta agree with Slyatv the blue eyed williams is also a killer, He gave one to my friend and she caught 4 whities over 5lbs her first time on the ice!! Heres a couple more first timers out at slys compound both fish on the blue eyed.

100_1040.jpg

100_1034.jpg

Badboyz jigs are also deadly. black and green with a small green tube, black and silver, black and gold with matching tubes are all deadly.

hardest part is getting a good jig on but when you figure out the lure fish after fish.

Dan with the first of the season last year on a blk and green badboyz.

100_0948.jpg

pearl white tubes 3" work great as well.

Dan with a nice whitie taken on a stright tube

100_1061.jpg

People still fish with minnows??? :dunno:

love the pictures and the info troutguy!

thanx for taking the time to report all your outtings and how you made out!

now id like to talk techniques......

How deep do you guys usualy fish?

What works best for YOU?

last year i was in 40 FOW.

i hear some guys fish in 100 FOW! :ph34r:

any feed back would be great!

Edited by fishing 24/7

Great tips on the lures, but how about finding the fish in the first place? I'd love to go for some in some local lakes I know have whitefish, but where do I start fishing? Any tips on structure, depth etc would be helpful. I should also mention, I'm kind of a lo-tech ice fisherman. ie. No Vexilar, no graph etc. Just me, my auger and my rods. Maybe I'm out of luck?

Edited by lhousesoccer

GO DEEP OR GO HOME !!!!! i only fish 80 + feet of water... havent got many whities in shallow unless it was at night with minnows.
Alright ... start deep. Got that part. But should I be smack in the middle of the lake in 80 f.o.w. on a flat, or at the 80-foot mark on a drop-off going down to 100+ f.o.w., or next to an island, or on a shoal, or a gravel bar? What sort of structure do whities hang out around? Again, I'm new to this, so it's all learning for me ...

I think it varies from lake to lake, for example i heard that on one lake i have fished the whitefish will follow the smelt when they spawn and feed off the eggs, and sure enough.....when the smelt started to spawn in late april the whitefish in one spot we fished successfully all march and April dissappeared. the only thing that stopped us chasing the whitefish chasing the smelt was that they smelt apparently head for the mouths of the creeks in that lake....no way we were going anywhere near creek ice in late April.