Lure Suggestions

MCTFisher9120

I would add a couple of casting spoons - little Cleos are my faves, but lots of them work - to your arsenal. They cover water as well as a spinner bait, and you can throw them farther than just about any lure around. If you are fishing weeds, trade out the treble for an offset worm hook and T-rig a worm, grub or fluke: presto!

That's good stuff right there :thumbsup_anim:

Normally you would have to pull your uncle Fred's finger for a whole summer to get a gem like that.

Only on the OFC.

hi Mike, just thought I'd let you know I had one of the Northam Fishing spinnerbaits and the red rubber material came off after the second pike I had on , then the blade came off. Lots of good spinnerbaits on the market (team daiwa,stanley).

hi Mike, just thought I'd let you know I had one of the Northam Fishing spinnerbaits and the red rubber material came off after the second pike I had on , then the blade came off. Lots of good spinnerbaits on the market (team daiwa,stanley).

they upgraded there models

switched the red rubber for a sturdy plastic!

daiwa too $$$

stanley never tried !

oh yeah and if you have a model that had a red rubber and you lose it

you can buy some a C-tire ... 25 for 1.99$

just use a bic lighter to shrink it into place! :thumbsup_anim:

ps: i dont work for northam.

ps: northam #1

MIke if your SERIOUSE and i mean a seriouse man... about bass fishing....

Go to http://www.northamfishing.com/ and put an order in you WONT regret i gave you this tip! :Gonefishing:

ask for frank!

I like that spinnerbait kit on that site. That would be something interestering to do(make your own). Thanks for the site, i trust you have used those products before.

• 1 month later...

mikeh,

I was cruising the message board and came across your message about a faulty product. We have since corrected the problem with the red tubing. If you would like to provide me with your mailing address I could have a replacement spinnerbait shipped. You can reach me at 705 252 6920 or email at [email protected] I would like to opportunity to fix this.

Mighty fine collection of tackle. Hope you don't plan on humping it all along a shoreline trail. I do love backpack fishing. You cannot carry it all. You select a few key items and the necessary bits of terminal tackle to fill 2 medium trays. Remember to have some downsized baits for tough bites days. I carry 2 rods. A shorter baitcaster and an U/L spinning rod for finesse.

By the time you have 2 trays, tools, camera, tape, snack, bug juice, etc... plus your two rods, you have more than enough to carry around. You still have to be able to fish and move around comfortably without having 20-30lbs. on your back.

I was at the show and noticed that you changed the red rubber material with something more durable.

Yes we went to a more streamlined approach by eliminating the red tubing. The red tubing was a bit more labour intensive. The clear tubing i find is a bit more subtle and gives the lure a cleaner look. In my experience, I haven't see much of a difference in the performance. It was more of a cosmetic change. However yours would be the first case that has been brought to my attention. I am actually glad that this was brought to light as I am always open to feedback on our products. We are always doing research on how we can make the products better. Our spinnerbaits have evolved over the past couple years with help from our loyal customers and of course me getting out and beating them up by fishing.

Just so you know we do stand behind every lure we make, and you are welcome to select a replacement. Thanks.

perch_dia.jpg

Edited by Northamfishing

Very few lures that I tied directly to the line, usually used a snap on everything but R bend spinner baits and Buzz Baits, I tried to avoid them. Just always felt most lures get a little more action with a snap on to add a little more freedom of movement.

Hey paul...I use a small ring cut from some surgical tubing over the "R" bend...

Got me a lifetime supply when they removed the oxygen tubes from my wife after she had an asthma attack and threw the tubing in the garbage...I asked if I could have it... :w00t:

I have a few years experience with "R" bends and closed or twisted wire forms. I have used them both and I have caught fish on both. From my understanding the "R" bends are designed for direct tie. Where the closed form is better suited for using a snap swivel or leader. I really think it comes down to preference and application. There are a couple different pros and cons to both forms. The "R" bend with a direct tied knot will most likely run truer a majority of the time where a leader used on a twisted form may give the spinnerbait a little too much freedom and alloy it to tilt to the side. I also find that the "R" bends will bend more or "straighten" out more on a hook set. The "closed" wire forms I find don't open up as much and the wire seems to be slightly thicker in diameter. I guess this why they make most larger pike and musky spinnerbaits with all closed forms(to my knowledge anyways) Vibration may differ slightly from these two forms, but I honestly think the blades are responsible for most of the noise and vibration a spinnerbait puts out. I believe that the motion of the blades displacing water is what fish sense on their lateral line. Now if you believe that the "R" bend puts out more vibration that's great, use it in application where fish rely on there sense on lateral line primarily to feed such as stained water. If you like using the closed wire form you may want to use it more in situations where fish might rely on there sense of vision primarily to feed, such as clear water. I really think blades are what makes a spinnerbait. If it's vibration you want, colorado baldes are the way to go. If it's flash your going for, then twin willow blades are great.

Or you can do what I do, simply do what works and listen to the fish.

Norm I have done that too, rubber O rings, surgical tubing, clear plastic tubing, heat shrink tubing. A hassle and can catch weeds a bit more. Rubber O rings have worked the best for me.

Hooked bigger bass and pike where a direct tied lie just slid on the shaft of the spinner bait and bent the heck out of the wire. Titanium wire spinner baits not much of a problem other than cost.

Guest steel'n'esox

half ounce black jitterbug, fish it at night and hold on, its an old proven lure that has lost its appeal to anglers, who have been swamped with all the new pretty lures designed to catch fisherman. Black jitterbugs are in no way pretty but they catch big smallies, also another old lure the streamer fly which came out before the bucktail jig, is essentialy a jig without the lead head, fish it on a splitshot rig or better still a drop-shot rig.

Guest steel'n'esox

I cannot believe I just posted that, Black jitterbugs and streamers do not catch fish they never have and they neverwill, whew I feel better already?

Black Jitterbug at night? LOL nothing like using one and listening to it talk as it comes across a dead calm surface, my favorite night time surface lure. That said I don`t use surface lures much at night, a few casts to see how aggressive the fish are then a switch to a plastic worm, lizard or jig and pig. They can find them easily in the dark.

:clapping:

nice inventory you have there-can i borrow a few?

lol

get em wet would be my advise--and report back--Hula Popper and clearly---Spam free-Zone---Mepps Black Fury--a proven winner among novices and Pros a-like

don't leave home without at least one in that plano box

Tight Lines

Have FUN

Paul

More Buzzbaits. I do all my Bass fishing from shore and I can't get enough of them. we all have our favourite lures that we swear bye, so hears mine u can get'em at walmart too, If they don't work you can personaly blame me and charcge me for the lures, I am that confident you will have sucess with them, get fishn my friend, well when the season roles round :P

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;currentpage=1

It's a long link but it works, I tried it :D

on modifying a $1.00 Walmart type lure on YouTube.