AVG free edition (nf)

sturgman

I have been really happy since I took the advice from some of the guys on here a few years ago to download the free AVG virus protection software. But it seems in Febuarary all users will require to pay for there services. Any other free virus software protection software programs available for download on the net that you guys have been using or can recommend? I hate to pay for something that I can get for free :D

When I kept seeing a message popup when I had v.7.1, I thought they were going to discontinue the free package. But that is not so, it still will be free. Here is a clipping from their site:

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 18th of Feb 2007.

I have an old laptop that I use AVG on because of the low overhead, but for my main machine I use Norton. If you have a modern fast computer, spend the $50 on Norton.

Get one virus and like insurance, you will have wished you spent the $50 upfront.

I have an old laptop that I use AVG on because of the low overhead, but for my main machine I use Norton. If you have a modern fast computer, spend the $50 on Norton.

Get one virus and like insurance, you will have wished you spent the $50 upfront.

I have read a couple articles concerning AV's, and BitDefender was ranked above Norton each time. Just an FYI.

Used Norton in the past. I found it slowed my puter down too much. :dunno: I found it was always popping something up or a reminder as well. And it was tough to get rid of if you ever wanted to drop it. Avg has defended me well for the last 3 years-no virus. And free. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Nipissing

It's not that you have to pay for AVG... the message you are getting is that the version you are running (7.1) is discontinued and no longer supported. All you need to do is download version 7.5 and upgrade, for free.

No need to worry, just take the free upgrade and continue with what I feel is the best free AV software out there.

cd.

To clarify, I think Norton is a great product but also a total resource pig and I would only recommend for people running fast systems with tons of memory.

For older rigs, AVG is definately the choice and not b/c its free, but b/c it runs with very little overhead and therefore does not bog down slower, older systems.

no Anti-Spyware

... There is a free antispyware program available from them, so you have 2 programs, not 1 for all

no Anti-Spam

... Be discriminating with handing out your email address, your ISP should have anti spam filtering on their servers

no Firewall

... If you have highspeed internet, buy a $20 router, perfect hardware based firewall, if not, use the free built in windows firewall

no 64-bit and server support

... If you are actually running a 64bit version of windows, chances are you know enough to find something else that works. If you have a server in your house, you most likely know the same.

no 24/7 Technical Support

... Who cares... never needed it, rock solid software with updates frequencies that match commercial AV software

no High-speed updates

... The updates are plenty fast, takes a few seconds through my cable modem

no Multiple languages

... I only speak english, considering it's german made software, english works for me, nothing interesting to read anyhow

no Detailed settings

... ok... so I can't exclude a keylogger or some other kind of virus that I *really* want on my system, bummer

no Consent for commercial use

... if you are using the machine on a business system, you should purchase the commercial version, for those in the know, it pops up and complains if the machine is joined to a domain only. If it's a single computer, it'll never complain.

try it out, you won't be dissappointed.

cd.

Im with Rick, AVG and Kapersky is better then Norton.

Personally I would say stay away from Norton and Mcafee all together.

I consider myself to be pretty hardcore computer user. I reun alot of domanding software and games and having a spiyware/virus program that sucks up resources is just not gonna gut it for me.

I have used AVG for ages, and its great, I also liked usign NOT32 which i got from teh place I was working.

You can find free software for just about everything you need.

I recently started using Ubunto (no cost linux OS) and I am very impressed with teh amount of open source free software offered to do just about everythign you cost hundreds (or thousands) to do on a windows machine.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Edited by mepps

now now... linux has it's place, but I really don't think it's here. 99% of OFC'ers have a tough enough time with Windows. Linux is not the right thing to plug here.

Don't get me wrong, I run several linux box's for various things, including an 8 node beowolf cluster, but I am geek #2, or so it has been said :)

Let's keep things relatively simple.

cd.

That is the common misconception for Linux, running Ubuntu is not much different then windows, it even looks similar!

If you have an old PC lyign aroudn and get board, I say give it a try!

Edited by mepps