Need Help With Buying Trailer tire/rims etc

Guest buick14

Guest buick14

Hi there,

I need to buy two radial tire and rims ST175/80/13 for my boat

Does anybody know what the ST means? I though it meant spare tire, but somebody said it means radial "speed trailer" tires?

Would it be cheaper for me to just buy some car tires of that size and mount them on rims I buy seperate?

Does anybody know of a place where I can get trailer tire and/or rims for a good price??? Or maybe a nice set of used chrome rim/tire combos....?

Thanks for the help!

Agree with Roy. Also if you get caught in an O.P.P. blitz they will park you with an LT tire on a trailer. (if you get a hard nose). I have an Lt as a spare, only taking my chances if I have to use it to get home!

As for Princess Auto, be cautious with the rims/ tires you buy. Likely the same Carlisle tires, however the rims I purchased from P.A. with tires already installed had runout that shook the boat too bad. Went to my local tire guy (keeping the money I was spending "local") and he advised me of my problem. (the rims not accurate enough). All said and done, he set me up and I was out the door within $8 per tire, and he balanced and installed them. The balancing is not necessary, however you can shake and rattle alot of electronics on the way to the lake.

:blahblah1: Sorry for the ramble but just wanted to share with ya! :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff

Agree with Roy. Also if you get caught in an O.P.P. blitz they will park you with an LT tire on a trailer. (if you get a hard nose). I have an Lt as a spare, only taking my chances if I have to use it to get home!

As for Princess Auto, be cautious with the rims/ tires you buy. Likely the same Carlisle tires, however the rims I purchased from P.A. with tires already installed had runout that shook the boat too bad. Went to my local tire guy (keeping the money I was spending "local") and he advised me of my problem. (the rims not accurate enough). All said and done, he set me up and I was out the door within $8 per tire, and he balanced and installed them. The balancing is not necessary, however you can shake and rattle alot of electronics on the way to the lake.

:blahblah1: Sorry for the ramble but just wanted to share with ya! :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff

Like I said before, kinda hard to find an LT in 13 inch, and you don't find it necessary to balance them? OhhhKaaay, your toys, your choice, I suppose you don't balance your other vehicle tires either.

Like I said before, kinda hard to find an LT in 13 inch, and you don't find it necessary to balance them? OhhhKaaay, your toys, your choice, I suppose you don't balance your other vehicle tires either.

UMMM Fisherman, I thought that I would just give a heads up to anyone who might have been looking for trailer rims/tires. Could have been 16" tires. Buy trailer tires.

Pick up a TRIAD at your local variety store. There are a few trailer places in Hamilton and Brantford that sell 13 inch trailer tires on white painted rims for 49.99 I got a pair at Trailer World in Brantford. These are blias ply, radials are about 25 bucks more.Cheapest price around.

Edited by bowslayer

UMMM Fisherman, I thought that I would just give a heads up to anyone who might have been looking for trailer rims/tires. Could have been 16" tires. Buy trailer tires.

Ummmmm Roy...he said 175/80/13 175mm tread width, 80% width/height ratio and 13inch rim. :ph34r:

Edited by Fisherman

I purchased radial CAR TIRES from Sam's Club over 10 years ago and had them mounted on the 13 rims and BALANCED by Sam's Club. They have out lasted ALL the other so called "special trailer" tires I ever used in the almost 40 years of towing.

The thing with special trailer tires is the sidewalls are stronger, however in most boat trailers this is not a issue especially if you have a small 16/17 foot or under aluminum boat. I think I paid $28 per tire back then and when these finally wear out I will be replacing with the same radial CAR TIRES as before.

Now if you are towing a travel trailer then I would NOT consider car tires but for most boat trailers you are just wasting money.

Whatever you do decide on make sure you get them BALANCED ! ! !

Sorry billy bob...didn't mean to offend you with the facts. In the future, any kind of a safety issue I might have, I'll come straight to you for the best answer.

You be well, AND SAFE!

? ? ?

Sorry didn't know we shouldn't post our opinions after you have had your say.

Edited by Billy Bob

3 years ago when I bought new tires for my last boat, I checked out Walmart. They had 175/80/13 ST radials for $28 each! I think the name on them was Marshall or something similar but they were awesome!

I put them on the old rims and they even balanced them for free. When it is time for new tires for the new rig, I will check them out for sure. I will also check out Costco as they also have radial ST setups for a reasonable price.

FT