Hand Augers... do they work well?

profisher25

...hand augers work well if you treat them well just makes sure they dont have an "offset" handle thats when the top handle grip is not in line with the bottom handle it makes for difficult drilling and can be very frustrating

I have to disagree with this statement. I have used augers with the inline handles (Swede Bore) and they are more difficult to cut with. I now use a Finbore III with the offset handles and it cuts ice like butter. You should not put downward pressure when drilling the hole, all you have to do is turn it and it will grab and cut.

Burt :)

The important thing is that the blades are curved. The Fin BoreIII and Strikemaster Lazer both have curved blades. I can not stress the importance of this enough. ALL straight blade augers are considerably more work for you then curved blade augers. If you want a good workout get a straight blade auger. If you want something that is less work get a curved blade...it is that simple. Also the smaller the hole, the easier it is. ALOT EASIER!!!!! A 6 inch hole is easy compared to a 8 inch hole.

Now onto the offset handles. Fin Bore III's are offset...Lazers are not. I own both. And I can cut good with both although because you are using slightly different muscles on both I just happen to find the Lazer better for me. However I have friends who just CAN NOT master the offset handles. It's a rhythm thing and for some it is very hard to master. With that in mind I would never recommend the Fin Bore III to anyone who has not at least had a go at using someone else's first.

I cut lotsa holes every winter. So far I can not see myself EVER owning a power auger. Someday maybe, but for now I'm sticking with my manual augers.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

However I have friends who just CAN NOT master the offset handles. It's a rhythm thing and for some it is very hard to master.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

So a rough translation would be that you have a couple of uncoordinted bear cubs as friends, :rolleyes: I like the offset ones, shorter arm movement required, and no effort leaning downward.

So a rough translation would be that you have a couple of uncoordinted bear cubs as friends, :rolleyes: I like the offset ones, shorter arm movement required, and no effort leaning downward.

My one fishing buddy who has the real problem will be 89 in Feb. I think it is a dexterity/mobility issue. He just finds it easier to lean on the Lazer.

I just prey that I can still go out and ice fish...forget about manually cutting holes...at that age.

I also have a MUCH younger buddy who has trouble...and I have let people use my Fin Bor III on the ice that have had trouble too. I'm just saying some people DO seem to have a hard time with it. Myself I can go with either. If it helps me catch fish I WILL adapt.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

ok, here's one for the other team. I used a manual auger for 10 years before switching to gas and all i have to say all these manual auger boosters are INSANE. Gas powered all the way, I will never go back. I may drill 20 holes a day with the power auger or even more. If the fish aren't there, I'm moving. When I had the manual auger I'd probably stop at 10 (or risk a heart attack)! While I've punched holes and set up lines in minutes, I then break out the hibachi, light it up, wait for the coals, cook up some t-bones, eat 'em and watch the manual auger guys who are still getting set up. Once set up, many don't want to move because of the work involved. I can honestly say the gas auger was one of the best fishing purchases I ever made, my only regret was waiting so long to do it.

I have to disagree with this statement. I have used augers with the inline handles (Swede Bore) and they are more difficult to cut with. I now use a Finbore III with the offset handles and it cuts ice like butter. You should not put downward pressure when drilling the hole, all you have to do is turn it and it will grab and cut.

Burt :)

i have one of each, personal opinionn i suppose

A Finn-bore will cut ice like butter with little to no downward pressure. I've had 30 hole days in March with mine, and that ain't southern Ontario ice!

The double offset handles are key - you can strain the muscles in one arm ala the swede-bore or you can use both plus some of your upper body with something like the finn. I shake my head when people talk about using 2 guys to cut holes.

Get the 6" unless you really need the 8, as an 8" is cutting almost twice as much ice with every rotation.

I'm one of those guys who can't seem to get the rythm of an offset handle. I've been using a swede bore 8" hand auger for so long, the offset handles mess me up. I can pound holes pretty good with the ole swede bore though......no probs. I've even take a few $'s betting the fin bore could beat me on the swede bore :) I know for sure with a hand auger I can drill one hole faster than a gas auger........its when you get into multiple holes that the gas wins hands down. The hand auger is always my first choice though......I find being mobile is key on the ice.........less gear=less set up time!

Its all what your used to.......they all work well, just keep em sharp and don't bang them around.

Sinker

Hand augers work just fine provided the blades are nice and sharp each season. Unless you're drilling 5,000,000 holes or through 4 feet of ice a hand auger has worked fine for me for the last couple of years. I don't even desire owning a power auger. However I bought an 8" auger and wish I had bought the 6". I've fit up to a 12lb brown through the 6 inch hole before and 42 inch pike so I don't think the 8" is necessary for what I do.

I've fit up to a 12lb brown through the 6 inch hole before and 42 inch pike so I don't think the 8" is necessary for what I do.

Got a 10-12lb muskie out of a 6 inch hole on Scugog a few winters back. No problem fitting it through...but I had a hard time getting it turned to face up the hole and an even harder time figuring out just how to get ahold of it to hoist it out :dunno: as all I could see coming up the hole was a mouth full of teeth.

So far I have not caught a fish on the ice that would not come through a 6 inch hole....but I'm still hoping :thumbsup_anim:

This one time.....on simcoe....fishing perch thru an old 4" hole that I broke open with my boot.....I hooked into what I figured was a pike......on 4lb test.....

Turned out to be a 7lb laker........he filled the 4" hole pretty good!!!

Getting them to the hole is easy, anyone can do that......getting them turned up the hole is the tricky part!!! Take it easy, and anything will come up!!

Sinker

hmmm, these posts got me wondering should i return the 2 weeks ago bought new bore III 8" incher and get myself a 6". :dunno:

I used to have an 8 inch hand auger....but never used it....cause it is a TON more work cutting an 8 inch hole. Now that I'm starting to fish whities and lakers a little bit...I wish I had never got rid of it.

Hang onto the 8...you already have it. Just put the 6 inch on your Christmas list for another year. Someday you will be glad you did.

just bought a power auger but will prefer to use my finbore 8in. on light duty days . new blades , she cuts very well,, the off -set

handles work for me 'cause i can use opposite muscle momentum to get the job done .cutting 7-8in. of ice ,, i can usually cut 3-4

holes before stopping for a break[beer]. it's early though :clapping: